Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Does anyone know when the Sprint Treo with EVDO Rev A going to be available?
    From what I understand a year....sucks I know.
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by reverendrhino View Post
    From what I understand a year....sucks I know.
    I would rather have palm focus on working all the kinks and bugs out of the 700p first and have their next non-WM5 based device be a palm flavored linux. That would be much better, IMHO.
    Quote Originally Posted by SPCSTreo600User View Post
    Does anyone know when the Sprint Treo with EVDO Rev A going to be available?
    According to my contacts at Sprint (informal, but fairly high level on technical side) the current Treo EVDO models will run EVDO Rev. A, which provides only a speed boost to the uplink, not the downlink. That is the same situation for all EVDO phones (and data cards), or so I'm told.

Thus, there will be no EVDO Rev. A Treos, or need for such.

The Sprint upgrade to EVDO Rev. A is supposed to be fully underway by the beginning of the year, but I haven't seen any reports claiming a date for completion.
  5.    #5  
    No, the current Treo model is EVDO Rev 0. These are not upgradeable to Rev A. It's a chip thing.

If memory serves me correctly, I think you do get a little boost in the dowlink from a peak of 2.4 Mbps to 3 Mpbps. But yes, most of the benefit will come from the uplink where the peak will increase significantly from a peak of ~154 Kbps to 2.4 Mbps.

If they are going to release the Rev A version one year from now, I think that sucks because all they have to do is replace the chip that Qualcomm has already made available.
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoMountain View Post
    According to my contacts at Sprint (informal, but fairly high level on technical side) the current Treo EVDO models will run EVDO Rev. A, which provides only a speed boost to the uplink, not the downlink. That is the same situation for all EVDO phones (and data cards), or so I'm told.

There are other benefits, such a simultaneous voice and data.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by SPCSTreo600User View Post
    No, the current Treo model is EVDO Rev 0. These are not upgradeable to Rev A. It's a chip thing.

If memory serves me correctly, I think you do get a little boost in the dowlink from a peak of 2.4 Mbps to 3 Mpbps. But yes, most of the benefit will come from the uplink where the peak will increase significantly from a peak of ~154 Kbps to 2.4 Mbps.

If they are going to release the Rev A version one year from now, I think that sucks because all they have to do is replace the chip that Qualcomm has already made available.
    Can you provide a documented source for your assertion? Sprint (not custoemr service, but the technical management at Sprint) claims there is no hardware change for the Treo 700p to make use of Rev A when and where it becomes available.

Do you know which Qualcomm chipset is employed in the 700p? According to the Qualcomm website, all but 2 EVDO Rev. 0 chipsets (the earliest and lowest end ones) also support Rev. A.
    Last edited by TreoMountain; 09/30/2006 at 02:15 PM.
    I too read that the EVDO Rev A was a software update, not hardware. this means that a Treo update could have an EVDO Rev A update to it as well.
    From everything I've read EVDO A support is required in hardware. There are some hardware chips out today that at EVDO and can be upgraded to EVDO A, but it's still a hardware thing. It's 100% certain that the chip used in the 700w is not EVDO A upgradable. I don't know if the chip specs for the 700p have been published, but it's likely it uses the same chips as the 700w. If that's so then it could be upgraded. But unless we see a statement from Palm that the 700p can be upgraded, you need to assume it's not upgradable.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    From everything I've read EVDO A support is required in hardware. There are some hardware chips out today that at EVDO and can be upgraded to EVDO A, but it's still a hardware thing. It's 100% certain that the chip used in the 700w is not EVDO A upgradable. I don't know if the chip specs for the 700p have been published, but it's likely it uses the same chips as the 700w. If that's so then it could be upgraded. But unless we see a statement from Palm that the 700p can be upgraded, you need to assume it's not upgradable.
    Repeat. All but 2 EVDO chipsets support Rev. A. You can check this out for yourself by browsing the Qualcomm website. If you want to take the time, you can experiment with plugging in 700p specs on the Qualcomm Solution Finder and see if you can decipher which chipset the 700p uses. The cheapest chipsets that do not support Rev. A don't support cameras, etc. and were/are mostly used in EVDO PCMCIA cards and cheaper phones that are EVDO capable.

Remarks in the press about mandatory hardware upgrades I suspect apply to the tower radios mostly.The Qualcomm website seems to support that observation.
    Repeat. All but 2 EVDO chipsets support Rev. A. You can check this out for yourself by browsing the Qualcomm website. If you want to take the time, you can experiment with plugging in 700p specs on the Qualcomm Solution Finder and see if you can decipher which chipset the 700p uses. The cheapest chipsets that do not support Rev. A don't support cameras, etc. and were/are mostly used in EVDO PCMCIA cards and cheaper phones that are EVDO capable.

Remarks in the press about mandatory hardware upgrades I suspect apply to the tower radios mostly.The Qualcomm website seems to support that observation.
    I just took my own recommendation (playing around with the Qualcomm Solution finder) and discovered that all Qualcomm EVDO chipsets (except one) that implement Treo 700p-like features also support EVDO Rev. A. When I find time, I may try to sort this out further, but it would be much simpler just to learn which chipset Palm uses in the 700p. To the best of my knowledge, only Qualcomm makes chipsets that are CDMA2000(R) EV-DO compatable, because it is their proprietary technology.
    Last edited by TreoMountain; 09/30/2006 at 03:14 PM.
    I just took my own recommendation (playing around with the Qualcomm Solution finder) and discovered that all Qualcomm EVDO chipsets (except one) that implement Treo 700p-like features also support EVDO Rev. A. When I find time, I may try to sort this out further, but it would be much simpler just to learn which chipset Palm uses in the 700p. To the best of my knowledge, only Qualcomm makes chipsets that are CDMA2000(R) EV-DO compatable, because it is their proprietary technology.
    TreoMountain, you're wrong.

The 700p and 700w both use the Qualcomm MSM6500 chipset (announced in 2002, before RevA was even finalized)

--> Supports CDMA2000 1X Rel. 0 and Rev. A, CDMA2000 1xEV-DO Rel. 0 and GSM/GPRS networks

The upgradable chipset is the Qualcomm MSM7500.

You will not be getting EvDO Rev A on this device, time to let it go. This was already covered here.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Repeat. Do you know which chipset the 700p uses? Previous posts in the 700w section identified that the chipset in the 700w IS NOT upgradable to rev a.

When you come back with facts, let us know. Otherwise you have no data to support your claims. You mention that only the cheapest chipsets from Qualcomm don't support it. You want to bet that Palm isn't using the cheapest chipset they can?

EDIT: Just read Malatesta's post after mine was posted. This should be settled now, as I suspected you won't be upgrading the 700p to rev a.

Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    Repeat. Do you know which chipset the 700p uses? Previous posts in the 700w section identified that the chipset in the 700w IS NOT upgradable to rev a.

When you come back with facts, let us know. Otherwise you have no data to support your claims. You mention that only the cheapest chipsets from Qualcomm don't support it. You want to bet that Palm isn't using the cheapest chipset they can?

EDIT: Just read Malatesta's post after mine was posted. This should be settled now, as I suspected you won't be upgrading the 700p to rev a.
    Malatesta and bcaslis--pretty arrogant of both of you to assume that those of us over here on the 700p forum read, or even care about what gets posted on the 700w forum. While we Palm-types of course are nevertheless interested in your opinions, do you have some verifiable source indicating that the 700p incorporates the MSM6500? And just to prove that you don't necessarily have all the facts that you think you do, please refer to http://www.cdmatech.com/products/msm...t_solution.jsp where you can see that the MSM6800 was the first (and least powerful) to support Rev A, not the much more powerful MSM7500 or MSM7600 (both of which, for example, support 8 megapixel cameras, GSM, and GPRS).The MSM6500 is the first, least powerful, and cheapest chipset to support EVDO Rel. 0--for any cell phone or PCMCIA card. Given their price point, I can easily see where EVDO PCMCIA cards would use the cheapest and earliest chipset available.

So, if you are indeed right, my company will just buy (a whole bunch of) Rev A EVDO PCMCIA cards and forego Treo 700s altogether. By my testing to date, the Rel. 0 cards work better and more reliably than the 700p PAM anyway. Some good negotiating may get the cards for no cost. Oh, by the way, my company, as a matter of written policy, does not do windows--will not even allow windows machines on the premises. Our 2007 need is to support Mac OS multi-participant iChat videoconferencing "on-the-go."

Oh, almost forgot. Our source is Sprint business regional technical management, which is obviously deeply interested in selling us lots of 700p's and service. Right now, Sprint has a terms of service advantage over Verizon that Verizon claims will disappear relatively early in 2007 once their Rev. A is rolled out. Up until today, we've been taking Sprint at its word that the 700p's will indeed run the full uplink speed of Rev. A.
    Last edited by TreoMountain; 09/30/2006 at 05:31 PM.
    what difference does it make anyway? Blazer cannot handle processing the EVDO speeds they have right now. I don't think we would notice any difference anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by sndtubes View Post
    what difference does it make anyway? Blazer cannot handle processing the EVDO speeds they have right now. I don't think we would notice any difference anyway.
    The difference is uplink speed, not downlink. Our interest in Rev. A is exclusively tied to using Mac OS 10.x multi-participant iChat videoconferencing via PAM in lieu of requiring our people to also carry (and lose) EVDO PC cards.

The Sprint upgrade to EVDO Rev. A is supposed to be fully underway by the beginning of the year, but I haven't seen any reports claiming a date for completion.
    Your contacts have no idea what they're talking about. Sorry.
    Malatesta and bcaslis--pretty arrogant of both of you to assume that those of us over here on the 700p forum read, or even care about what gets posted on the 700w forum. While we Palm-types of course are nevertheless interested in your opinions, do you have some verifiable source indicating that the 700p incorporates the MSM6500? And just to prove that you don't necessarily have all the facts that you think you do, please refer to http://www.cdmatech.com/products/msm...t_solution.jsp where you can see that the MSM6800 was the first (and least powerful) to support Rev A, not the much more powerful MSM7500 or MSM7600 (both of which, for example, support 8 megapixel cameras, GSM, and GPRS).The MSM6500 is the first, least powerful, and cheapest chipset to support EVDO Rel. 0--for any cell phone or PCMCIA card. Given their price point, I can easily see where EVDO PCMCIA cards would use the cheapest and earliest chipset available.

So, if you are indeed right, my company will just buy (a whole bunch of) Rev A EVDO PCMCIA cards and forego Treo 700s altogether. By my testing to date, the Rel. 0 cards work better and more reliably than the 700p PAM anyway. Some good negotiating may get the cards for no cost. Oh, by the way, my company, as a matter of written policy, does not do windows--will not even allow windows machines on the premises. Our 2007 need is to support Mac OS multi-participant iChat videoconferencing "on-the-go."

Oh, almost forgot. Our source is Sprint business regional technical management, which is obviously deeply interested in selling us lots of 700p's and service. Right now, Sprint has a terms of service advantage over Verizon that Verizon claims will disappear relatively early in 2007 once their Rev. A is rolled out. Up until today, we've been taking Sprint at its word that the 700p's will indeed run the full uplink speed of Rev. A.
    If you actually CLICKED MY LINKS THAT I PROVIDED IN MY POST you would have your answer (the "700p" link):

Here it is again:

http://developer.sprint.com/site/glo..._treo_700p.jsp

Seriously, get your act together.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Malatesta and bcaslis--pretty arrogant of both of you to assume that those of us over here on the 700p forum read, or even care about what gets posted on the 700w forum........
    [throwing salt in wound]...if you did a search in the 700p forum, you will find that this exact subject has been discussed a few months ago. I remember asking about Rev.A and the 700p. For the record...the 700p is NOT Rev. A upgradable
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    If you actually CLICKED MY LINKS THAT I PROVIDED IN MY POST you would have your answer (the "700p" link):

Here it is again:

http://developer.sprint.com/site/glo..._treo_700p.jsp

Seriously, get your act together.
    Thank you. That information is definitive indeed. I appologize for missing it whin I first clicked. Come Monday, I suspect our CEO will be on the phone with Sprint's CEO. Come 2007, I suspect we will be totally converted from Sprint to Verizon. That's what misrepresentation will do to a company, especiall when it's own management has access to its own public domain sites as do we. Thanks again, and my sincere appologies for any offense.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast