Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1.    #1  
    Has anybody figured out a secret to getting USB Modem to work with Mac OS 10.3.x?

    Many people report on other threads (here and elsewhere) supurb results with USB Modem (v 1.5) on their Macs, but I've had nothing but trouble using an older PowerBook G4 running OS 10.3.x.

    Mobile Stream tech support advised upgrading to at least 10.4.5, but that's a pretty expensive option where (thus far) I've found no overriding need to upgrade the OS. Moreover, Mobile Stream claims USB Modem works for OS 10.2-10.4, so, either I got bad advice from Mobile Stram's tech support, or Mobile Stream's web site and USB Modem documentation are not up to date.

    I've been able to get Bluetooth (not via USB Modem) to work fine, albeit more slowly than I'd like, using suggestions on other 700p threads here on this excellent TreoCentral site. I use Sprint and do pay for the PAM data plan, so I'm not trying any monkey business here. And I've loaded only USB Modem (no other applications) on the 700p. Oddly, USB Modem did crash the 700p a couple of times.
  2. #2  
    As an experienced Mac guy, let me ask - are you updated to the latest 10.3.x - specifically 10.3.9? Do you have all the latest software updates and patches?

    Next question - are you trying to use USB or Bluetooth connections with USB Modem? If you are using Bluetooth, I recommend you contact Mobile Stream and ask them for their Bluetooth "fix" (it's in testing, but they will send it to you if you ask for it).

    10.4.x really does fix a LOT of issues that 10.3.x had (unfortunately, and you can blame Apple for this, not Mobile Stream) - but lots of networking and USB fixes were implemented with 10.4. Obviously if you were to buy 10.4 just to use it, wait for 10.5, which will be out sometime in the first half of 2007.

    Hope that helps...
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by macguitar View Post
    As an experienced Mac guy, let me ask - are you updated to the latest 10.3.x - specifically 10.3.9? Do you have all the latest software updates and patches?

    Next question - are you trying to use USB or Bluetooth connections with USB Modem? If you are using Bluetooth, I recommend you contact Mobile Stream and ask them for their Bluetooth "fix" (it's in testing, but they will send it to you if you ask for it).

    10.4.x really does fix a LOT of issues that 10.3.x had (unfortunately, and you can blame Apple for this, not Mobile Stream) - but lots of networking and USB fixes were implemented with 10.4. Obviously if you were to buy 10.4 just to use it, wait for 10.5, which will be out sometime in the first half of 2007.

    Hope that helps...
    Have tried 10.3.9 and all but very latest security updates (just happened last few days), but no non-Apple applications or data (perfectly clean install), but to no avail. Now restored back to 10.3.6, which exhibits the same problems.

    Just using USB Modem to try to connect via USB, not Bluetooth. Ordinary Bluetooth connectivity works fine, but slow (and disconnects unless one sets up continuous ping trick recommended in another thread).

    Interestingly, the USB Modem application on the Treo (.prc) has crashed the Treo a few times while trying to make it work. There are no other (non-basic) applications installed on the Treo. I don't recall ever seeing anybody on these forums expressing any Treo crashes with USB Modem. My USB Modem version is the latest--v. 1.5.

    I'm not going to get into a debate as to which company, Mobile Stream or Apple, may be at fault. If there are OS issues, then IMHO it is the responsibility of the software developer to either devise workarounds or, otherwise, not advertise utility with 10.2, let alone 10.3.
  4. #4  
    Why did you go back to 10.3.6? It's always advisable to have the latest OS update (10.3.9) since they incorporate bug fixes and improvements. Also, now that 10.3 is discontinued, 10.3.9 is the "best" release, because Apple is pretty good about making sure the last update is pretty good.

    Also, it seems odd that you would downgrade, and that (from my experience) tells me you might have other issues going on. Downgrading is not a good idea and can really cause problems with a system, because some files get downgraded and some don't.

    I would suggest a clean install for your system (and I'm not kidding) - it's very possible that drivers and files are in a disturbed state and this is the cause of this (and other) problems you might be having.

    I've never had my USB Modem app on the Treo crash, so maybe you are having a conflict with another application on the Treo?

    I agree about the debate regarding pointing fingers and fault, but if they do indeed advertise 10.2 support, you need to call them on that.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by macguitar View Post
    Why did you go back to 10.3.6? It's always advisable to have the latest OS update (10.3.9) since they incorporate bug fixes and improvements. Also, now that 10.3 is discontinued, 10.3.9 is the "best" release, because Apple is pretty good about making sure the last update is pretty good.

    Also, it seems odd that you would downgrade, and that (from my experience) tells me you might have other issues going on. Downgrading is not a good idea and can really cause problems with a system, because some files get downgraded and some don't.

    I would suggest a clean install for your system (and I'm not kidding) - it's very possible that drivers and files are in a disturbed state and this is the cause of this (and other) problems you might be having.

    I've never had my USB Modem app on the Treo crash, so maybe you are having a conflict with another application on the Treo?

    I agree about the debate regarding pointing fingers and fault, but if they do indeed advertise 10.2 support, you need to call them on that.
    Thanks for your continued help!

    Searching the Apple Discussions website (for OS 10.3.x) produces the consensus that 10.3.6 and 10.3.8 are the most stable and problem-free versions. Some there even speculate that unresolved problems specific to 10.3.9 represent hidden incentives to upgrade to 10.4. I tried 10.4 but downgraded back to 10.3 just a month or so after it came out, primarily due to well-documented issues with iChat in 10.4.1-10.4.3 and overall slower operation (also well-documented). As with hardware, I try not to change s/w, just for the sake of upgrading, where everything is working fine, and most certainly not the first version of new hardware or software. And I have 3 degrees in Electricial Engineering and Computer Science! Literally everything else on the Mac works supurbly. In this day and age, I rely on hardware and software to just work (for me--not the other way around, lest it becomes a hobby and not a reliable tool).

    When I did the test with 10.3.9--that was an absolutely clean, pristine install (I had even erased the disk). There literally were no other applications or data files installed. Reverting back to 10.3.6 was accomplished via Carbon Copy Cloner. The issues experienced in 10.3.6 and 10.3.9 were identical. Had 10.3.9 resoved the problem I would have sticked with it (new clean system).

    Similarly there are no other applications installed on the Treo. When the Treo crashes, only a soft reset will resurrect it. Even did a hard reset and reinstalled the USB Modem prc file. The Treo 700p has never crashed before or since--only crashes when the USB Modem app is running and trying to work with its counterpart on the Mac--and it does so with some consistency. Given your experience, I find myself wondering if there might be a problem with my 700p. It is hardware version A and PRI Rev 20221.

    Regarding the 10.2 compatibility, allow me to quote from the v 1.5 user guide: "3.1. Requirements: Mac OS X version 10.2, 10.3 (Panther) or 10.4 (Tiger) is required for the USB or bluetooth connection via Treo with USB Modem installed to work. Mac OS X 10.1 may be supported as well but you will need to install the AppleUSBCDCDriver Patch manually (for USB only)." I did bring this to the attention of Mobile Stream's customer support in response to their email, in-part "Thank you for the detailed report...Unfortunately we cannot provide any meaningful advice on the issue. Most of our Mac customers have Mac OS X 10.4.5 or higher and there are no such severe problems with USB connection as you described..."
  6. #6  
    Ughhhh.... (about Mobile Stream) - well, E-mail them again and tell them that since they claim support for 10.2 and 10.3, you'd like them to help you get it working. I am wondering if it is your Treo - do you have the ability to exchange it for a new one? If your Treo resets/crashes, how can you be sure the Mac is even the problem? Very odd issue...

    And I'm glad to continue to help - although I'm not sure I am!

    Michael
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by macguitar View Post
    Ughhhh.... (about Mobile Stream) - well, E-mail them again and tell them that since they claim support for 10.2 and 10.3, you'd like them to help you get it working. I am wondering if it is your Treo - do you have the ability to exchange it for a new one? If your Treo resets/crashes, how can you be sure the Mac is even the problem? Very odd issue...

    And I'm glad to continue to help - although I'm not sure I am!

    Michael
    Thanks Michael.

    I'm coming to the same conclusion re the 700p perhaps being the problem. Sprint executive customer support has offered to trade it out for a new one if I can conclude the 700p to be the problem. Of course, the real problem is that Sprint doesn't officially support any 3rd party apps, despite tier 2 tech support trying nevertheless to help.

    I'll try emailing Mobile Stream again. It's always possible somebody there was just giving me the quick brushoff. Like to think that Mobile Steam is more reliable than that, especially since email suport is all tthey offer.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoMountain View Post
    Thanks Michael.

    I'm coming to the same conclusion re the 700p perhaps being the problem. Sprint executive customer support has offered to trade it out for a new one if I can conclude the 700p to be the problem. Of course, the real problem is that Sprint doesn't officially support any 3rd party apps, despite tier 2 tech support trying nevertheless to help.

    I'll try emailing Mobile Stream again. It's always possible somebody there was just giving me the quick brushoff. Like to think that Mobile Steam is more reliable than that, especially since email suport is all tthey offer.
    Quote Originally Posted by macguitar View Post
    Ughhhh.... (about Mobile Stream) - well, E-mail them again and tell them that since they claim support for 10.2 and 10.3, you'd like them to help you get it working. I am wondering if it is your Treo - do you have the ability to exchange it for a new one? If your Treo resets/crashes, how can you be sure the Mac is even the problem? Very odd issue...

    And I'm glad to continue to help - although I'm not sure I am!

    Michael
    Michael, I think I now understand what you were implying by way of your "Ughhhh."

    Having exhausted all other avenues and after spending countless hours trying to get USB Modem to work on my 700p, I just processed a charge-back with American Express against PalmGear for my Mobile-Stream purchase. Much to my amazement, the American Express customer service agent (without any provocation on my part) immediately recognized Mobile-Stream's name, commenting that they are well known and I most certainly was not the first to call regarding problems with them.

    So, caveat emptor. If you don't believe me, simply call American Express customer service (assuming you have one of their credit cards) and inquire.

    Frankly, I really hope Mobile-Stream cleans up its act in this regard (see my above posts regarding apparent misrepresentations of compatibility with Mac OS below 10.4.5 -- 10.3.9 in the case of your experience and that of Dr. Grace over at
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=124797).
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoMountain View Post
    Michael, I think I now understand what you were implying by way of your "Ughhhh."

    Having exhausted all other avenues and after spending countless hours trying to get USB Modem to work on my 700p, I just processed a charge-back with American Express against PalmGear for my Mobile-Stream purchase. Much to my amazement, the American Express customer service agent (without any provocation on my part) immediately recognized Mobile-Stream's name, commenting that they are well known and I most certainly was not the first to call regarding problems with them.

    So, caveat emptor. If you don't believe me, simply call American Express customer service (assuming you have one of their credit cards) and inquire.

    Frankly, I really hope Mobile-Stream cleans up its act in this regard (see my above posts regarding apparent misrepresentations of compatibility with Mac OS below 10.4.5 -- 10.3.9 in the case of your experience and that of Dr. Grace over at
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=124797).
    UPDATE:

    Mobile-Stream, at my provocation, and perhaps motivated by these posts, today updated its Mac OS system requirements for USB Modem to read "Mac OS 10.4 is required and 10.1-10.3 may work too, but not officially supported."

    Hopefully this will prevent others from falling in the same trap that I did. IMHO, Mobile-Stream has ultimately done the right thing here and deserves your trial of their software and your support. I do strongly recommend, however, that you invest time in assuring that the trial software works for your particular set-up, prior to purchase.
  10. #10  
    We have more than 60 users in our office using USBModem successfully under 10.3.9 on Sprint's network. I can't hazard a guess as to what the issue is in your case, although I agree with the comment that downgrading the OS is a bad idea.

Posting Permissions