Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    Well, Marc pulled out his strongest weapon and made me quiet.
    He made a fix that solved the problem I was talking about. And that happened even before I started this thread.
    Thanks for that, Marc.

I the same time, I started quite overwrought discussion so I feel that I need to clarify few points:
    • I never said that Chatter is bad piece of software or Marc doesn't provide good customer service. I said explicitly I love Chatter and and that Marc was always answering promptly.
    • I expressed my regret that support for 8-bit filename encoding is very low on Marc's priority list and I said that I understood his position.

I only wanted to share my experience with other users (typically those outside North America). The fact that using of attachments is not possible might be of public interest. And that's exactly the purpose of this forum. Right

Kreso

ps. the story has happy-end for me, because I definitely prefer Chatter to Snapper and now with attachment support I can stay happily with Chatter
    Even if Chatter didn't have a multitude of features which put it ahead of the competition and the best user support & most frequent updates of ANY application I've ever used, the fact that it will poll a POP server in the background would make it well worth its price.

Whenever I'm tempted by a Nokia N73, I cast any thoughts of switching aside when I realize I'll lose Chatter.
    Whooow, whooow, you guys, this is getting way too out of hand.

Marc: 3 different boards = about 3 different audiences (example, I usually look at Brighthand and TreoCentral, but now I am looking at Treocentral more exclusively since I got a 700p, so, if somebody posts something on Brighthand, I might miss it. Same holds true to different forums on the same board). The sarcasim seemed a bit berating (basically the first two "questions" and the fragment after the comma in the sentence).

Anyway, not trying to start a flame war. I took kresome's post to mean: "Hey, Chattermail does not have a feature I found important and from the impression I got from the developer is that it is not very high up on the priority list, so sadly, this is why I won't be using Chatter."

Anyway, I can't say whether that feature was high up on your priority list or not (being a developer I know that even things at the top of the priority list don't get dealt with right away). From my experiences, I would take that kind of post to mean: "Hey, Chatter does nat have a feature that is *very very* important for my use." and my response to it would be: "I plan on working this out" or "It is on my list, but at the moment I have a few things that are higher up" or "Done!"

Sorry, discussion boards are touchy places. You can say "I love Chatter Mail" and people will take it to mean "I hate Snapper Mail" and flame you for it.

Anyway, Chatter Mail is impressive. I am not going to complain, just ask. Is it possible to change the colors (like the yellow, blue and green)? It might be so, but I currently can't look (don't have a copy installed and didn't see a way the last time I looked a month or two ago). That is the only thing that has me bugged (well, not really bugged).

Keep up the good work with Chatter Mail and don't let customer "reviews" (that is what I'll call kresom's post) get you down.

-Donald

P.S. From a developer standpoint, I am curious to know how you get background support to work, if you don't mind me asking?
    dkirker - Where do you want these colors to be?

Marc
    I was thinking something more subtle. Like maybe a white background and blue for the date bars and a light blue or grey for unread messages.

Ok, I am being vague. Basically, I like the Palm "Basic" theme. So using the blue there for the time/date bars (that are currently appear to be 0000FF blue), white for the form background (that appears to be cornsilk) and maybe a grey/white combo for unread/read mail.

Or, if instead of hardcoding the values, you took them from the device theme(?).
    Last edited by dkirker; 10/01/2006 at 04:16 PM.
    Wait, looking at the current beta, it looks like it does not have those colors.

So, possibly scratch my comment on the colors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatter View Post
    mattyparanoid -

I NEVER said that ChatterEmail is for everyone. I did NOT rattle off features. I NEVER called kresom ungrateful. I did NOT berate him for voicing his opinion (his opinion was that he loved it). At least get your facts right; you are attacking a straw man.

Marc

p.s. Why did kresom post the exact same thing in three different places? What was the point? (Please don't tell me that it's his right to post whatever he wants; of course it is. The problem with forums in general is that this right is frequently abused. Gratuitious negative posting - whoever the target - happens to bother me a great deal.)
    Whatever man, it seemed to me that you were a bit vigorous in your post, that is what I percieved as berating him. In another post you stated that a particular feature was just one and in your opinion the most important, which to me seemed like rattling off a feature in defense of your application and finally, I am not attacking you, it was just my opinion, based on my perception of your post that it was a bit off sides.... No facts involved, just my perceptions.

And furthermore, based on your once again vigorous reply, it seems for sure to me now as if you are indeed being a little lame....whatever....no harm, no foul from me....I am not in the customer service biz....

One thing is clear, at least a few people read your reply and thought it was a bit overboard, I was just one of the few. Those are the "facts"

Cheers
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag." -- Father Dennis Edward O'Brien, Sergeant, USMC
    Is it possible maybe he takes things personally and that's the reason?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I too have to say that Mark is one of the hardest working guys out there with respect to Palm OS apps and Chatter!

He responds within minutes of emails and is just about always right on with chatter issues/comments.

Way to go Mark....keep it up
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    I also will state that Mark's service is outstanding. He works hard at it and is to be congratulated for his efforts. Another thing, he is honest and tells it like it is, and maybe that may take some back a bit.

Ben
    I have to give up Chatter too.

I mean, what's the point of having a program that does everything I need without causing constant resets. I'd much rather have a program that needs constant debugging and frustrates the hell out of me by resetting every time I'm doing something important.

If this earns me a hateful response from Marc, tough noogies....
    1. HTC Touch Dual Neon 300, Stock Rom
    2. AT&T Tilt (Refurb) with DK.8 Rom (collecting dust)
    MVT - Despicable.

Marc
    Allow me to join the party.... You guys are like babies... One guy rants because his feature request is way down the waiting list another guy rants because Marc doesn't like people making a big deal out of a request that wasn't fufill. Dude, if Marc doesn't want to add your feature to Chatter then beat it. I know Chatter is a Monster email but come on... it is Marc's app. The guy owns it. Now, I've been in contact with Marc for over a year and I have requested a few things too and some of them were not implemented for months and I'm cool with that. Chatter is THE APP on my Treo, but I'm not going to whine all over the web because my feature is at the bottom of the To-Do list. That is just wrong and plain stupid.

On the other hand, Marc my friend don't take things too personal. I think it would have been better if you just answered the guy the same way Sprint or Cingular answers when they messed up with your bill. Right?

Al
    And then there are those of us that have little if any problems with our devices in general. Ben
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Hilarious posts, guys! Right on! I think Imma save this one and post it on a Blog somewhere for when i a feeling blue and board at work.

I bought Chatter last week. I think it is great. I only wish it would support Lotus Notes (since my company uses it) But the fact that it doesn't isn't going to make me stop using it.
    Hilarious reply to a 6 month old thread. Post that to your blog too.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12