Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    For the life of me I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong with my new Sandisk Ultra II 2GB card.

1. I installed Card Reader 1.04 - http://palmgear.com/index.cfm?fuseac...&prodID=112451 on my Treo
    2. I then hooked up my Treo via hotsync to my pc
    3. My pc recognizes the card in the Treo.
    4. I used this command to format the card from a command line on my pc
      "format w: /FS:FAT /V:Treo650SD2G /Q /A:16K"

The card gets formatted and the screen shows this:

format i: /fs:FAT32 /v:Treo650SD2G /q /a:16k
      Insert new disk for drive I:
      and press ENTER when ready...
      The type of the file system is FAT.
      The new file system is FAT32.
      QuickFormatting 1937M
      Initializing the File Allocation Table (FAT)...
      Format complete.

2,030,206,976 bytes total disk space.
      2,030,190,592 bytes available on disk.

16,384 bytes in each allocation unit.
      123,913 allocation units available on disk.

32 bits in each FAT entry.

Volume Serial Number is 58D6-40F8

5. Now I go to my card info program on the Treo and it does not see the damn SD card.
    6. I pop the card out and back in and suddenly the Treo now sees the card. After a couple of seconds, the screen refreshes and says there is no card. Now every couple of mins, the screen comes on and then goes off. It is almost as if it is trying to see the card.
    7. I then tried to install a program on it and once I clicked on the .prc file on my pc, I then dragged it into the lower half of the screen to install it on the card. I then press the hotsync button and now a warning sign appears beside the .prc file - No card inserted or something to that effect.

What am I doing wrong? How else am I supposed to format this card so that my Treo can see it?

I have already modded my ROM to include support for FAT32 cards. Do I also need to modify the boot.cnf file to recognize the FAT32 driver?

This is my second SD card that is doing this. The first one was a Sandisk 2GB card (not an Ultra II like the second one). Surely I must be doing something wrong..... I can't imagine I have two bad cards.

Plus when I put in my sons SD card from his camera (a 512 MB Sandisk card), my Treo sees the pics without any issue. So it is not my Treo that is defective, it is something I am doing wrong.

Please help!
    Unlocked Rogers GSM Treo 650, PalmOS V5.40017, Firmware: 01.71, Software: Treo650-1.20-ENA
    Modded and hacked! Custom ROM - removed RealPlayer, Todo, Tasks, Versamail, Tips, World Clock, Launcher. Added support for FAT32 SD cards.
    Software: PDAbs, Backup.NET, Uninstall Manager, Card Reader, FileZ, Power RUN, DateBk5, DocumentsToGo, HandZipper, Chatter, TakePhone, Technician, Voice Dial, TCPMP, SpashPhoto, Insaniquarium, Memory Master, Sol Free, Palma Sutra
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    1. Take your SD card, insert it into your Son's camera.
    2. Format the SD card from the camera.
    3. Insert your newly formatted SD card into the Treo and have fun using it.

Sounds to be something hokey with the software you are using. By the way, why would you use that software anyhow?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjasjit View Post
    I'll try that tonight when I get home. The only concern I have with this method is if I will be able to format it correctly so that the card is not slow.

Sounds to be something hokey with the software you are using. By the way, why would you use that software anyhow?
    I ordered a physical card reader but have not received it yet. I am hoping it is the software and not anything I am doing wrong.
    I mean once the software is activated, my pc sees the card without any issues, I can format it, add directories etc. Surely others on here are also using this software without any issues.....
    Unlocked Rogers GSM Treo 650, PalmOS V5.40017, Firmware: 01.71, Software: Treo650-1.20-ENA
    Modded and hacked! Custom ROM - removed RealPlayer, Todo, Tasks, Versamail, Tips, World Clock, Launcher. Added support for FAT32 SD cards.
    Software: PDAbs, Backup.NET, Uninstall Manager, Card Reader, FileZ, Power RUN, DateBk5, DocumentsToGo, HandZipper, Chatter, TakePhone, Technician, Voice Dial, TCPMP, SpashPhoto, Insaniquarium, Memory Master, Sol Free, Palma Sutra
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverGS View Post
    I'll try that tonight when I get home. The only concern I have with this method is if I will be able to format it correctly so that the card is not slow.

I ordered a physical card reader but have not received it yet. I am hoping it is the software and not anything I am doing wrong.
    I mean once the software is activated, my pc sees the card without any issues, I can format it, add directories etc. Surely others on here are also using this software without any issues.....
    Ahh, okay. I wasn't sure what the software was for. Thanks.

To the best of my knowledge, the 'speed' of the card is not dependent on the 'formatting' of the card.
  5.    #5  
    To the best of my knowledge, the 'speed' of the card is not dependent on the 'formatting' of the card.
    It actually does. Just do a search on 2GB cards on here and you will see several threads that discuss this issue.

Any other insights from anyone else as to what I am doing wrong??
    I have never formatted a card with MS-DOS. I let the palm format the card. Also - I use card export by softick . Never have had any issues with several cards.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by ghiscott View Post
    I have never formatted a card with MS-DOS. I let the palm format the card. Also - I use card export by softick . Never have had any issues with several cards.
    I tried formatting the card with the Treo and it will NOT format the card. It goes to the screen where you key in a Card name and then when you hit format, it says "Format Failed". The screen then refreshes and it says no card is inserted.

30 seconds later it shows the card info as being formatted with the Type and Size info. I don't get it, what the heck is going on here?? Very very weird behaviour...
    Last edited by SilverGS; 09/29/2006 at 10:18 AM.
  8.    #8  
    I find it hard to believe nobody else has experienced these symptoms.....
    I have a 2GB SanDisk Ultra II card (FAT 16 format) I'm using in my T650. Never formatted it, just used it as-is. Don't have the Fat32FS installed on my T650 (that's why I never formatted it fat-32).

I'm wondering if the way you've got the Fat32 driver installed on your T650 is causing a problem with the formatting.

That's all the help I can give on this issue for now, except to say, try formatting the card using Fat-16 and see if your problems go away.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyDJs.com View Post
    I have a 2GB SanDisk Ultra II card (FAT 16 format) I'm using in my T650. Never formatted it, just used it as-is. Don't have the Fat32FS installed on my T650 (that's why I never formatted it fat-32).

I'm wondering if the way you've got the Fat32 driver installed on your T650 is causing a problem with the formatting.
    Perhaps, that may be the case. I read on another thread that the boot.cnf file in ROM may need to be modified to see the new FAT32 driver. I will look at the boot.cnf file tonight and see if in fact there is a reference to the FATFS file and if there is I will just replace that with the FAT32 instead.

That's all the help I can give on this issue for now, except to say, try formatting the card using Fat-16 and see if your problems go away.
    I already tried that using the Card Reader software and it did not make any difference.
  11.    #11  
    Anybody please???
  12.    #12  
    Surely I am not the only one who has experienced problems like this? I am ready to pull my hair out in frustration now..
    Did you try formatting it in some other device besides a PC, then formatting it in the Treo?

Maybe it's defective? Have you tried formatting it after a warm reset, just to make sure there's no program interfering?
    My Sandisk (not Ultra II) occasionally refuses to be seen at all in the 650. No idea why. I wait a few minutes, eject and insert, and it is now shown.

The last time this happened I had just enabled BT for a quick phone to phone transfer and found that my treo didn't see my card. Waited a few min and it saw it again.

Pain in the ****, but it doesn't happen very often.
    Treo 300 (x2), 600 (x3), 650 (x6), 700p (ROM'd to 755p)
    My Custom Black-Tie 700p
    Sprint, 750 AT, Unl N/W @ 7pm, Unl Roaming/Power Vision/Pix/Txt/M2M, $46/mo.
    Lost Your Treo 300/600/650/680/700/750 CD? Download them here.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    Did you try formatting it in some other device besides a PC, then formatting it in the Treo?
    I tried formatting it in the Treo too. No dice

Maybe it's defective? Have you tried formatting it after a warm reset, just to make sure there's no program interfering?
    This is the second SD card already exhibiting exactly the same behaviour as the first.

I just don't get it....

I am so goddam frustrated now as I cannot install all the programs I want to install and I don't know what else to do. I know my Treo is not defective as I can read the 512 MB SD card from my sons camera.
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverGS View Post
    I tried formatting it in the Treo too. No dice
    Um, that would obviously include something OTHER than the Treo.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    Um, that would obviously include something OTHER than the Treo.
    And what might that be?

There's one way..
  19.    #19  
    This is driving me nuts......

1. Tried formatting the cards in my sons camera, but for some reason, the camera won't format them.

2. Got a friend to format them in his card reader and he was able to format them without any issues, transferred files to them just fine from his pc

3. I put the cards into my Treo and they exhibit the same behaviour as before -
    - I insert the card into the Treo
    - I then launch "Card Info", Treo does not see card. I eject the card and then push it back in, and now suddenly the Treo sees the card. I exit Card Info and then launch Card Info again, and now it does not see the card. WTF is going on here????

4. I tried to browse the card by going in via LauncherX and it does not see either card.

5. Yet the Treo can see a 512 MB card.

6. I tried to transfer some programs via PowerRun and while in PowerRun, as soon as I pop in the card, a windows comes up telling me to name the card. I name the card and the screen goes away, yet there is no "Move" button on the bottom of the screen.

Clearly the cards are not defective and neither is the Treo as it can read a 512 MB card.

What is causing this weird problem??? I am literally pulling out my hair now....
    Last edited by SilverGS; 10/04/2006 at 09:40 AM.
    Did you buy the cards off ebay? There are some fake Sandisc around, I've seen very good visual replications of the apperances, however the ID of the card is different, and the labels aren't quite as good.

You might google around for that and do some comparisons. Possible you have fake cards, therefore they're pretty much crap. Or it is possible you have a bad card?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast