Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24
  1.    #1  
    Obviously Sling Media doesn't give a F*** about Palm OS users. Check out the link below as they are going to now support Symbian OS.

    http://www.clieuk.co.uk/index.shtml
  2. #2  
    I know of at least one potential customer they've lost.
  3. #3  
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by drei22 View Post
    Obviously Sling Media doesn't give a F*** about Palm OS users. Check out the link below as they are going to now support Symbian OS.

    http://www.clieuk.co.uk/index.shtml
    Unfortunately this is not too surprising right now as I think that the only reason Palm would give a s*** about Palm OS users is to avoid a class action lawsuit. Though I was hoping that this would not be the case, it is looking increasingly as though Palm's new buddy buddy status with MS and the cooling of their relationship with Access does not bode well for the future of the OS. Unfortunately, if this perception grows amongst developers then I think that we will be seeing an increasing number of POS projects reaching a dead end or being ported to WM5 and a rash of new projects springing up around WM5.

    Two of POS's biggests advantages was its Ease of use and simplicity (especially the one handed use) which allowed it to work well for smartphones, and its huge developer support. It would appear that it is about to start losing one of those two.
  5. noodle's Avatar
    Posts
    536 Posts
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    #5  
    doesn't suprise me... I doubt they will release a palm client at all. If you want the latest and greatest stick with microsoft...unfortunately

    I have macs(PPC/non intel) and a palm. So I basically sit here and suffer everytime a new, cool product comes out. It really sucks!

    I enjoy my products greatly, but this limitation kills me...
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    noodlelest wet noodler
  6. #6  
    How does a picture of a Symbian logo on a slingbox box represent a lack of support for Palm devices?

    I agree with others that Palm support is unlikely, as the market just isn't there, and they have to direct their resources toward projects that will be profitable.

    However, I'll hold off on passing judgement until they state that they are not developing for POS....
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by clindner View Post
    How does a picture of a Symbian logo on a slingbox box represent a lack of support for Palm devices?

    I agree with others that Palm support is unlikely, as the market just isn't there, and they have to direct their resources toward projects that will be profitable.

    However, I'll hold off on passing judgement until they state that they are not developing for POS....
    Well, you see the Mac and Symbian logo, both of which have not been released (symbian is not even in public beta) and these are logos on a product yet to officially roll out.

    So it's the lack of evidence here that is telling: that either they are not developing or they are far from release, otherwise why not slap a Palm logo on their as well? OTOH, there is still space left inbetween Symbian and the Universal

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  8. #8  
    Still no support for Mac's (even tho the link mentioned above shows an OS X logo on the side of the box .... web site www.slingmedia.com/compatibility doesn't exist either.)
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by gijohn View Post
    Still no support for Mac's (even tho the link mentioned above shows an OS X logo on the side of the box .... web site www.slingmedia.com/compatibility doesn't exist either.)
    Right but Sling did announce that the Beta would be made public very soon:

    Sept 16th (source)
    This week, Sling Media's CEO, Blake Krikorian was interviewed by The Guardian. According to the article, Krikorian said the Mac client would be due out this week in the U.S. However according to Dave Zatz, Blake was misquoted by The Guardian. Although the private Mac Beta is alive and well, it will be a month or so until it is released publicly.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  10.    #10  
    Palm OS is done...
  11. #11  
    Guys,

    I beg to differ...

    http://www.uneasysilence.com/wp-content/slingsecret.jpg

    More here: http://www.uneasysilence.com/archive/2006/10/7762/

    Let the new round of speculation begin.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by XistBoi View Post
    Guys,

    I beg to differ...

    http://www.uneasysilence.com/wp-content/slingsecret.jpg

    More here: http://www.uneasysilence.com/archive/2006/10/7762/

    Let the new round of speculation begin.

    Bahahahahahahah! 2 Funny! With that said Palm OS is already done....
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by XistBoi View Post
    Guys,

    I beg to differ...

    http://www.uneasysilence.com/wp-content/slingsecret.jpg

    More here: http://www.uneasysilence.com/archive/2006/10/7762/

    Let the new round of speculation begin.

    This is fantastic news!
  14. #14  
    but it begs the question...why are they hiding it/covering it up?

    I mean there is no Mac or Symbian betas yet and there they are on the box.

    You know, sometimes they put cover up stickers to cover up mistakes or things no longer applicable. lol Look at the issues Skype is having with Symbian.

    Or the Palm version is very far behind the unannounced Symbian?

    (also, for the record I'd like point out I predicted this in post #7, last sentence )

    Edit:

    Engadget picked it up:
    http://www.engadget.com/2006/10/01/s...g-palm-client/

    Maybe it was just too soon to pre-announce, maybe maybe they're going to wait for ALP before they make a move on Palm, or maybe they just killed their Palm client plans -- we don't know...
    Last edited by Malatesta; 10/01/2006 at 06:15 PM.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  15. #15  
    Nope it is alive and well, too bad Engadget linked to Zatz, who published after me.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by XistBoi View Post
    Nope it is alive and well, too bad Engadget linked to Zatz, who published after me.
    Well, until we actually see a beta, we won't know. I mean it's already been a long time.

    From Engadget:
    Ok, we just got off the horn with Sling. So, the same with their forthcoming Symbian client, consumers can in fact expect a Palm client! (Huzzah!) Unfortunately, Sling would not comment on whether this would be a Palm OS or ALP-based product, nor would they give any timeframe of release for it or the Symbian version. (Boo!) Sling told us they're working with partners on the two client releases (no, they wouldn't tell us which ones, either); as packaging was being completed and units were being shipped to retail, Sling apparently mis-predicted the Symbian and Mac clients' readiness (thus leaving them unstickered) -- but successfully estimated the Palm client would not be ready at the time of launch. So, what have we learned? Mac client: soon. Symbian client: probably lined up to be the next after the Mac client. Palm client: probably going to be the last.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  17. #17  
    Wow...if I didn't see that engadget picture, I could sworn the first one was photoshoped. However, it begs the question why WOULDN'T slingbox support the PalmOS? There are a LOT of treo users out there, whether using the 650 or 700p. It's a well established market, and since slingbox caters to all these mobile devices, why wouldn't they want to milk the palm market?

    In other words, there isn't really a question as to whether they would or not support palm, just when they'd have a client ready.
  18. #18  
    The Palm SlingPlayer client **IS** in development and **WILL** be coming out!!! According to their "sources" it should be in Q4 (so before December 31st of this year!!!)

    Read the comments (update) after the article:

    http://www.engadget.com/2006/10/01/s...ient/#comments

    YEAH!!!!
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn_3D View Post
    Wow...if I didn't see that engadget picture, I could sworn the first one was photoshoped. However, it begs the question why WOULDN'T slingbox support the PalmOS? There are a LOT of treo users out there, whether using the 650 or 700p. It's a well established market, and since slingbox caters to all these mobile devices, why wouldn't they want to milk the palm market?

    In other words, there isn't really a question as to whether they would or not support palm, just when they'd have a client ready.
    Simply put, they're probably not that keen on investing in developing software for an OS who's only strong market is the US and even that is on a steady decline. Complicating matters is the fact that 5.4.9 is basically that last iteration of the PalmOS as we know it. Then there's the whole ALP thing, which throws everyone for a loop: what if that falls through (for US distribution)?

    So at this point it's just a matter of priorities. I'm sure Symbian would have been first if it wasn't so hard to develop as opposed to the openeness of the WM platform.

    It appears PalmOS is a low priority even for Palm let alone new developers.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by drei22 View Post
    Obviously Sling Media doesn't give a F*** about Palm OS users. Check out the link below as they are going to now support Symbian OS.

    http://www.clieuk.co.uk/index.shtml
    If Palm does not care about us, why should Sling Media?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions