Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    would it be possible to put windows mobile 5.0 on a treo 700p?
    Yes. It's called a 700w. You can get one from Verizon.
    Or the 700wx from Sprint.

I think the Palm hardware is different from the WM5, definitely the screen is. Not compatible, and you'd probably brick the phone messing with it.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Technically it is possible, but it would take the work of Microsoft or Palm to make it work correctly since the OS is not open source. Considering that there is no 320x320 mode on WM5, there would also be a border of unused pixels around the screen.

One important thing to remember is that if it were done, the 700p would be similar to the 700w...not the 700wx. The amount of RAM is the same as the 700w. The WX has double the RAM of the P and W. A converted 700p with WM5 would have all the issues the 700W does related to low memory.

The best bet is to get Linux on it, which partially works on the 650 already and is under development.
    Last edited by stroths; 09/28/2006 at 10:03 PM.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    For most intents and purposes the answer is no. The last hurdle would be the toughest - after doing such an extensive overhaul you would need to get carrier activation and NO carrier would want such a rogue phone activated on their network...
    Why in the world would anybody want to do that, knowing the WM doesnt support the 320x320 resolution of the 700p, you would have to be an engineer, and if anybody has enough time do this just to see if it works, god bless you, cheaper just to buy the real thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by thefnshow View Post
    would it be possible to put windows mobile 5.0 on a treo 700p?
    Yes. It's a very confusing process but thankfully Palm has helped us out by adding English letters to the end of the model numbers of the devices (p standing for Palm OS and w standing for Windows Mobile OS). Basically what you do is purchase a Treo 700w. Not a Treo 700p, but a Treo 700w. It's cool because out of the box, Palm has already installed the Windows Mobile OS on it and everything. No hacks, etc needed.

Even though the Treo 700w came out BEFORE the Treo 700p, I'm glad you asked this question because there are sure to be lots of people out there wondering the exact same thing as you.
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    You can however run palm software on windows devices...

http://www.styletap.com/

(i'm not affiliated or compensated by them)

Kinda makes the argument for moving to windows mobile though...But I'll stick with my p
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    noodlelest wet noodler
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    You can however run palm software on windows devices...

http://www.styletap.com/

(i'm not affiliated or compensated by them)

Kinda makes the argument for moving to windows mobile though...But I'll stick with my p
    Oh my goodness!!!! This is awesome! Now Noodle, I the love the Palm OS like crazy and love my 700P (although like everyone else, if I we don't get a firmware update soon I'm gonna' go bananas!!!) but if this is an app that works as advertised, the only difference (practically) would be the screen resolution correct?

Can we, maybe, say Cingular 750 anyone???
    Styletap is good, but it runs all programs as 160x160 stretched out to 240x240, so things look kinda bad (or very bad, depending on who you ask).

But it is very good if you don't want to pay a license for some of your old apps, such as splashid & tube... but then again you have to pay for Styletap.. I needed it because I'm hopelessly hooked on Bike or Die and it does work, though not perfectly, but well enough for this addict.
    It may be cheaper to buy the real thing until one finds lots of people like me that bought a 700p but feel cheated by the number of problems and what seems like indiference from Palm. If a way is found, I'd spent some money for such UPGRADE. I'm sure others will too.

BTW, it does not have to be open source to get it to work, having the source code may make it easier and definetely cheaper.
    If you use StyleTap on the 700WX, it scales 320x320 apps. down to 240x240 and it doesn't look very good. However if the app. has a 160x160 version, it looks very good when you run it in StyleTap.
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    you guys are all nuts