1.    #1  
    This is a copy of a forum thread I posted on another Palm forum. Thought I would post it here as well to see if anyone could shed some light on this issue:

I've owned palm devices for 8 years so I should know what a hard reset is, or do I?

In all my previous devices, up until my Treo 600, a hard reset would wipe out everything and I could start installing stuff clean.

Now, my replacement Treo 650 is a bit of a mystery. Chronology of events:

1. When I got it, I obviously did a HARD reset before using it. Without installing any programs, I started to using the Treo 650 straight out of the box. ie. factory state.

2. I could not receive any sms. So, I tested the device to see what was wrong. Got people to send me sms and noticed that my Treo would not wake up to notify me of incoming sms. Only when I woke the treo up manually would attention manager suddenly tell me of an incoming sms. Of course that's not how attention manager is supposed to work.

3. Not only that, some sms would go missing and never reach my phone. It was bloody frustrating.

3. So, I did soft reset, warm reset, HARD reset and even ZERO OUT reset. Still could not solve the problem.

4. So, I almost exchanged it for another refurbished unit until I decided to check out some of the forums such a this one, treocentral and mytreo to see about other people's sms problems. I noticed other sms problems were solved my deleting "message databases" file (can't remember if this was a prc of pdb file, not that it matters i suppose).

5. For the fun of it, I deleted the message database file and what do you know? My SMS problem is SOLVED.

So, let's summarise here:

1. My "message database" file was somehow corrupted (this was a new replacement unit.).

2. I did soft, warm, hard and zero-out reset - all could not solve my sms problem.

3. I finally deleted one stupid file and the problem was instantly fixed.

So, it is possible that a hard or even zero-out reset may not erase everyting but actually leave pieces of code lying around in NVFS devices?
    I can't think of any other explanation.

Lesson here is that if you have a problem on a treo 650 that may be caused by a software problem, DO NOT STOP AT HARD RESETTING the device. Manually delete files associated with the program likely at fault and that may just solve your problem.

Anyone like to share his/her thoughts on this issue?
    This may or may not make any sense, but since it is a refurb, is it possible that the previous owner did a little custom rom'ing and screwed with the messaging DB? And left you with the mess to clean up? soft/hard-resetting won't fix any custom rom mistakes...

:EDIT: - Well, after re-reading I see that you say it's a new replacement unit... my bad. Is there any chance that it WAS a refurb, though?
    Last edited by theleetbeagle; 09/28/2006 at 04:21 AM. Reason: I'm an idiot.
    Treo 300 (x2), 600 (x3), 650 (x6), 700p (ROM'd to 755p)
    My Custom Black-Tie 700p
    Sprint, 750 AT, Unl N/W @ 7pm, Unl Roaming/Power Vision/Pix/Txt/M2M, $46/mo.
    Lost Your Treo 300/600/650/680/700/750 CD? Download them here.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by theleetbeagle View Post
    This may or may not make any sense, but since it is a refurb, is it possible that the previous owner did a little custom rom'ing and screwed with the messaging DB? And left you with the mess to clean up? soft/hard-resetting won't fix any custom rom mistakes...

:EDIT: - Well, after re-reading I see that you say it's a new replacement unit... my bad. Is there any chance that it WAS a refurb, though?
    Can't be ROM though, coz the problem was solved by deleting a file in RAM.

In any case, the refurb unit was taken from Palmone exchange centre itself and ROM version showed official version.

I suppose it is theoretically possible for someone to alter ROM and make it look like the original and have it deposit a small piece of code into message database after every hard reset. It's possible right? Or not?

Interesting huh?