1.    #1  
    Has anyone considered if it is possible?
    Not me. For a modest amount of money I will buy a 750 and save myself a bunch of brain damage trying to teach a pig to fly. Or pick your metaphor.

OK. I like my 650. It isn't a pig. Sorry I hurt your feelings, little 650 buddy. Old pal.
    Linux is possible, but WM5 is not likely. The 650 doesn't have enough memory to run it. The 700 series has the 128mb memory which makes WM5 possible on the Treo.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by stroths View Post
    Linux is possible, but WM5 is not likely. The 650 doesn't have enough memory to run it. The 700 series has the 128mb memory which makes WM5 possible on the Treo.
    So what is the difference between the 650 and the 680? The 680 has 64 mb of memory.
    So what's the difference between a Cisco 12xxx and a little DLink? The Cisco has a tad more memory.

It's not the 128MB alone which makes WM5 possible, it's also the fact that the parties involved only implemented it in the 7xx series. It'd be near impossible to reverse engineer the entire WM system and cross compile it, etc.

6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by FrozenCode View Post
    So what's the difference between a Cisco 12xxx and a little DLink? The Cisco has a tad more memory.

It's not the 128MB alone which makes WM5 possible, it's also the fact that the parties involved only implemented it in the 7xx series. It'd be near impossible to reverse engineer the entire WM system and cross compile it, etc.
    Cross compile? Isn't the 650 processor the same?
    Differences in the hardware... WM5 isn't capable of running a 320x320 screen, for one thing.
    "Yeah, he can talk. It's gettin' him to shut up that's the trick!"
    -Shrek
    On a LCD computer monitor, the display is filled corner to corner regardless of what supported resolution is chosen. It would have been nice if the W series would have had the same physical screensize, but displayed a lower resolution since WM5 does not have a 320x320 resolution. It would be like getting a new 19" LCD for your computer, but running 640x480. Anyone know why this could not be done on the Treo?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by pdiminico View Post
    Has anyone considered if it is possible?
    If you're the VP of Engineering at Palm, with lots of engineering resources, source code and detailed hardware specs at your disposal, then it is possible.

If you're Joe Hacker, with a 650, a 700w and a flash programmer, forget it. Aside from the aforementioned problems with screen size and available RAM, there are so many other hardware components (BT, USB, keyboard, GSM, sound, camera, LED, card slot, power, etc) that are at least slightly, maybe radically, different. Without the Windows Mobile source code you wouldn't stand a chance.

Treo 650 - Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.20-ENA
    Firmware:01.71
    All these guys don't know what they're talking about.
    They use big words like 'code' to sound intellojant.
    I say, give it a try.
    Let us know how it goes.
    Just call me Berd.
    Isn't there a reason that you got the T650 to begin with, rather than some HP Windows based smartphone?
  12.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by joker9989 View Post
    Isn't there a reason that you got the T650 to begin with, rather than some HP Windows based smartphone?
    Sure, it was FREE!!!!!!!

Just like my retired Treo 600!!!!!