Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    I have been trying Chatter mail and have been troubled trying to setup subfolders on the handheld to mirror what is on the desktop.

I am sad to say, I can't get a rhythm with Chatter...and the views, unsorted and sent and recv'd emails mixed together, battery drain and the sub-folder issue cause me to look for an alternative.

I need to be able to access one yahoo account and one new everyone.net account...

What are my choices...or..better yet, what should my search quiery be to get the proper info..I am hitting dead ends.

TIA
    Technology Rules!
    Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Palm Centro
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    Sorry to burst your bubble but Chatter is best you will get for true push email. Take you time and set up one accout at a time. Folders should be easy to set up as all you really need t do is to 'publish' the folders on your server and they should automatically appear on your handheld. Just make sure you update your folder list within Chatter. Good Luck!

gottago...
    I also like Chatter and I have it in "offline" mode. I only sync up mail when I need to - once in the morning on the train into work. After that I don't use it, but simply access my mail via my desktop.

One issue that is holding me back from buying Chatter (and it is probably not a bug in chatter itself - still not sure), is that when I delete a message using D (to delete it off chatter and my email account), it does not delete the message on the server. I am using Gmail as my central email account. I forward all my other email accounts to gmail.

Anyone else have this issue using snappermail? Does it delete mail off gmail without any issues? If it doesn't, then obviously this is not a bug in Chattermail but a bug in gmail and I will end up buying chatteremail.
    Unlocked Rogers GSM Treo 650, PalmOS V5.40017, Firmware: 01.71, Software: Treo650-1.20-ENA
    Modded and hacked! Custom ROM - removed RealPlayer, Todo, Tasks, Versamail, Tips, World Clock, Launcher. Added support for FAT32 SD cards.
    Software: PDAbs, Backup.NET, Uninstall Manager, Card Reader, FileZ, Power RUN, DateBk5, DocumentsToGo, HandZipper, Chatter, TakePhone, Technician, Voice Dial, TCPMP, SpashPhoto, Insaniquarium, Memory Master, Sol Free, Palma Sutra
    Normally you must resync to force the deletion of messages from the server. I also have one Gmail account that is never used, so I cannot answer that question. It does work properly with my other POP accounts. Ben

Quote Originally Posted by SilverGS View Post
    I also like Chatter and I have it in "offline" mode. I only sync up mail when I need to - once in the morning on the train into work. After that I don't use it, but simply access my mail via my desktop.

One issue that is holding me back from buying Chatter (and it is probably not a bug in chatter itself - still not sure), is that when I delete a message using D (to delete it off chatter and my email account), it does not delete the message on the server. I am using Gmail as my central email account. I forward all my other email accounts to gmail.

Anyone else have this issue using snappermail? Does it delete mail off gmail without any issues? If it doesn't, then obviously this is not a bug in Chattermail but a bug in gmail and I will end up buying chatteremail.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    Normally you must resync to force the deletion of messages from the server.
    Yes, I forgot to mention that I do a resync right after.

I also have one Gmail account that is never used, so I cannot answer that question. It does work properly with my other POP accounts. Ben
    Yes, I could delete messages from other POP accounts but not from gmail via the resync.
    Unlocked Rogers GSM Treo 650, PalmOS V5.40017, Firmware: 01.71, Software: Treo650-1.20-ENA
    Modded and hacked! Custom ROM - removed RealPlayer, Todo, Tasks, Versamail, Tips, World Clock, Launcher. Added support for FAT32 SD cards.
    Software: PDAbs, Backup.NET, Uninstall Manager, Card Reader, FileZ, Power RUN, DateBk5, DocumentsToGo, HandZipper, Chatter, TakePhone, Technician, Voice Dial, TCPMP, SpashPhoto, Insaniquarium, Memory Master, Sol Free, Palma Sutra
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverGS View Post
    Gmail uses POP email and does not syncronize the email, it only downloads the email to the treo.

To have the functionality you are interested in, you would need IMAP email. Then it would sync which email are unread, deleted, etc etc

I personally forward my gmail to a fastmail.net account which gives you a free IMAP account. The only downside is the free one only has 10mb of storage.

Edit: I forgot that you can tell the server to delete messages in POP too.
    Last edited by latca; 09/28/2006 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Correction
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gottago View Post
    Sorry to burst your bubble but Chatter is best you will get for true push email. Take you time and set up one accout at a time. Folders should be easy to set up as all you really need t do is to 'publish' the folders on your server and they should automatically appear on your handheld. Just make sure you update your folder list within Chatter. Good Luck!

gottago...
    Trust that my bubble has been burst already. Chatter might be the best, for you, but for me it doesn't work.

I uninstalled Chatter, performed a hard reset of the Treo, reinstalled Chatter and setup just the everyone.net account that has been working for a week or so..and Chatter still stalls on trying to download a File List. It then burns my battery in about two hours.

So while you might find it to be the best, there are still alternatives.. My question is...what are the alternatives..even if they are not "the best" because the best doesn't work for me..so it isn't.

TIA
    Technology Rules!
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Will anyone offer a response that doesn't include "Chatter is the best" ??

I respect fully that it might work great for some of you, but is there no alternative for imap / push other then Chatter??
    Technology Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Will anyone offer a response that doesn't include "Chatter is the best" ??

I respect fully that it might work great for some of you, but is there no alternative for imap / push other then Chatter??
    I am not sure if Snappermail is IMAP compatible or not, but based on they fact that you appear to be a veteran, I will assume you have already tried snappermail...
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Trust that my bubble has been burst already. Chatter might be the best, for you, but for me it doesn't work.

I uninstalled Chatter, performed a hard reset of the Treo, reinstalled Chatter and setup just the everyone.net account that has been working for a week or so..and Chatter still stalls on trying to download a File List. It then burns my battery in about two hours.

So while you might find it to be the best, there are still alternatives.. My question is...what are the alternatives..even if they are not "the best" because the best doesn't work for me..so it isn't.

TIA
    Not sure if you used the latest beta version instead of the last 'official' version, but it now has a few options under the Performance Section in Preferences that can save you from battery sucking. For example, if you delete an email in Chatter, it will wait until another email gets pushed to your phone from the server to update the server with the deletion -- it won't do it right away, and this saves battery big time.

I used Snappermail for a few months before giving Chatter a shot, and never had a problem with subfolders. You create a new Mailbox, not a new account, and navigate to the subfolders using the 5-way button (press right to expand the Inbox folder).
    Mike...sorry to hear you having troubles with Chatter. I have a gmail account forwarded to fastmail for imap and I have another aim account (imap) synced 24x7 and I go a whole work day (8 hours) without having to charge.

As far as your question...I think the imap/push email providers are chatter (I dont think snapper and for sure Versa support push with the idle command.) I could be wrong though.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Snapper and Versamail support IMAP, though they DO NOT support IMAP Push. Ben