Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    this is not a windows vs. plam post. I know the difference.
    I just want to know how many of you tried the wx and just couldn't make it work. what was it that you could do without? what was it that you didn't like?
    I have the wx and kind of miss my 700p. I have a few days left and i'm considering going back.

am I the only one?
    I want to try the wx out but I know i'd be back to the 700p eventually. I have a love-hate relationship with Windoze Mobile....love it for the first week and then my device slows down to a crawl and I curse it. I cursed the PPC 6600, 6700 and the Samsung i730.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooose View Post
    I want to try the wx out but I know i'd be back to the 700p eventually. I have a love-hate relationship with Windoze Mobile....love it for the first week and then my device slows down to a crawl and I curse it. I cursed the PPC 6600, 6700 and the Samsung i730.....
    I have tried the 700wx, I like it but I will go back to my 700p and hopefully we will get a Rom update soon. I need to hold out for the Linux Palm (when will that be?)
    I had the 700W from Verizon but before my 15 days was over, I traded it in for the 700P. I had the 600 for a few years and wanted to trade up but found the WM OS just not as intuitive as the Palm OS.
    After 1-week of hours and hours of phone calls to Palm, Tier 3 support (which is in Phillipines), I have opted to return the 700wx.

Could not get it to sync properly with Palm info converted to Outlook. Also I was really disappointed with the following on the 700wx.

1. Slow, slow, slow
    2. Screen resolution was poor compared to my Treo 650
    3. Limited number of applications that are readily available causing you to perform multiple stroks to reach any application that is not on your Today List (can only hold 7).
    4. I have a number of phone contacts, memo files, and to do list files that are password protected on the Palm device. When these get converted to Outlook, you loose the password protection.

Now I must endure Sprint's customer service and wait for the return kit so I can send this device back to them.

I hope the 700p works out. I am sure it will. I have been with Palm from the beginning.

One question: The 700wx has 128 mb of memory with 64 or so usable on the device. What is available for use on the 700p?

Thanks
    D
    I was sent the WX by mistake and gave it an honest try it took me about one hour to familiarize myself with WM5 and my experience after was horrible. Not that WM5 is bad its just little things that were effortless on with POS became tedious.

1. SMS pop up will not going away
    2. as a result the left soft key changes taking an extra stroke to get to the inbox
    3. Pressing send doesn't send the email until you get and receive again
    4. Today screen is cluttered and doesn’t show things I actually need.
    5. Superficial but the complete day is not shown on Wednesday or Thursday part of the 2006 is cut off.
    6. Camera is slow and rather dark.
    7. Since I didn’t go through outlook I have the default outlook inbox present with nothing assigned to it, made difference when switching between sms and work email.
    8. No one handed operation
    9. A dead pixel from the gate

I really wanted to be a WM5 user and honestly its not that I just want the same features as POS. Just these common tasks such getting email, sending email, and getting to the inbox took so many steps that using the device was a chore.
    In fact, my experience with the 700wx is so bad, I am really enjoying having to go back to my T650. What a world of difference. Bright screen, _hit actually works. I hope the 700P continues the tradition.
    I think the speed issue of the wx varies depending on what you have running on it. Others have posted that its very responsive. I tried the 6600 and liked WM but missed the keyboard on the treo.

Eventually I will give the wx a whirl...looking forward to having a wifi option that POS isnt ever going to give.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

THANKS FOR MAKING THIS POST!!!

-I was feeling a-bit 'curious' and wanting to trade my P for the WX

--but after reading this thread, its confirmed, the P is here to stay

(I've tried the 700W on Verizon and did not like it)
    Well, I tried the Wx in the store extensively and played with a friend's model. Coming from a 650, and not yet sold on the 700p, the 700Wx was a breath of fresh air WinMobile-wise. But at the end of it all, I moved towards the 700p and I can't get enough of it. Granted i've only had it for a week but so far so good.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WasPalm4Life View Post
    After 1-week of hours and hours of phone calls to Palm, Tier 3 support (which is in Phillipines), I have opted to return the 700wx.

Could not get it to sync properly with Palm info converted to Outlook. Also I was really disappointed with the following on the 700wx.

1. Slow, slow, slow
    2. Screen resolution was poor compared to my Treo 650
    3. Limited number of applications that are readily available causing you to perform multiple stroks to reach any application that is not on your Today List (can only hold 7).
    4. I have a number of phone contacts, memo files, and to do list files that are password protected on the Palm device. When these get converted to Outlook, you loose the password protection.

Now I must endure Sprint's customer service and wait for the return kit so I can send this device back to them.

I hope the 700p works out. I am sure it will. I have been with Palm from the beginning.

One question: The 700wx has 128 mb of memory with 64 or so usable on the device. What is available for use on the 700p?

Thanks
    D
    how do you get certain files password protected???
    memos, phone recs, etc.....please let me know
    mt
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    THANKS FOR MAKING THIS POST!!!

-I was feeling a-bit 'curious' and wanting to trade my P for the WX

--but after reading this thread, its confirmed, the P is here to stay

(I've tried the 700W on Verizon and did not like it)

i was thinking the same thing, sometimes i get pissed at the white screen on the 700p and sometimes it slows to a crawl, but knowing my experience with the 650 i was an early adopter with that also and after a few firmware updates the thing was rock solid, so im hoping for the same for the 700p im sticking with it.
    There are 2 issues with the "w" that brought me back to the "p":

1: You can only sync to 2 computers...and I need to sync to 3.
    2: This is tough to explain, but WM5 forces your appts to reset themselves based on the time zone you're in. For example, when I'm home in the ET zone and I create an appt for a flight leaving LAX at 3pm, everything appears fine. However, when I'm in LA, that departure time has changed to 12pm. As far as I'm concerned, that's a deal breaker for me, and I don't see any realistic solution on the horizon.
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarlin View Post
    There are 2 issues with the "w" that brought me back to the "p":

1: You can only sync to 2 computers...and I need to sync to 3.
    Could have tried PDASync.
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarlin View Post
    2: This is tough to explain, but WM5 forces your appts to reset themselves based on the time zone you're in. For example, when I'm home in the ET zone and I create an appt for a flight leaving LAX at 3pm, everything appears fine. However, when I'm in LA, that departure time has changed to 12pm. As far as I'm concerned, that's a deal breaker for me, and I don't see any realistic solution on the horizon.
    Could have tried TimeZone (freeware).

Quote Originally Posted by ToroA
    1. SMS pop up will not going away
    Did you hit the Right Menu key --> Dismiss? I mean, that's what it does.
    3. Pressing send doesn't send the email until you get and receive again
    In fariness, this does work but only for Push/Exchange email accounts. Since Exchange accounts are free a lot of use it and have this feature.
    4. Today screen is cluttered and doesn’t show things I actually need.
    The Today screen is the most configurable part! You can make it look like anything you want, there are no limits (look here for some). Here's mine. Hardly "cluttered":

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...77/minimal.jpg
    6. Camera is slow and rather dark.
    Did you move the Dpad to the Left or Right in camera mode? It increases/decrease brightness. There is also an auto-correct/enhancement feature in your Pictures and Videos application to make any pictures look better.
    8. No one handed operation
    This is surely a joke or at least exaggeration. The ONLY thing you can't access is your email sub-folders by one hand and funny enough MS addressed this in AKU 2.3 (700wx has 2.21; latest is 3.2). Everything else is one-handed.

Look, lets be clear here. I can care less of anyone here likes/dislikes WM5 and prefers Palm. That's cool, I have a 650 myself and appreciate the good things about PalmOS. So stick with what you like.

But if you only spend "played with a friends", "had it for a week", "tried the Wx in the store extensively" (what does that realistically even mean?), "took me about one hour to familiarize myself with WM5" etc. you won't master or even begin to crack the large WM5 world. Just like it took me months before I was ready to finally make a custom ROM on the 650, or understand that issues with NVFS and lost preferences, etc.

So most of your "issues" here can be addressed easily enough had you asked around or read up a little bit. I mean, these are very ameteur/novice "problems".
    Last edited by Malatesta; 09/28/2006 at 11:37 AM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Could have tried PDASync.

Could have tried TimeZone (freeware).

Did you hit the Right Menu key --> Dismiss? I mean, that's what it does.

In fariness, this does work but only for Push/Exchange email accounts. Since Exchange accounts are free a lot of use it and have this feature.

The Today screen is the most configurable part! You can make it look like anything you want, there are no limits (look here for some). Here's mine. Hardly "cluttered":

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...77/minimal.jpg

Did you move the Dpad to the Left or Right in camera mode? It increases/decrease brightness. There is also an auto-correct/enhancement feature in your Pictures and Videos application to make any pictures look better.

This is surely a joke or at least exaggeration. The ONLY thing you can't access is your email sub-folders by one hand and funny enough MS addressed this in AKU 2.3 (700wx has 2.21; latest is 3.2). Everything else is one-handed.

Look, lets be clear here. I can care less of anyone here likes/dislikes WM5 and prefers Palm. That's cool, I have a 650 myself and appreciate the good things about PalmOS. So stick with what you like.

But if you only spend "played with a friends", "had it for a week", "tried the Wx in the store extensively" (what does that realistically even mean?), "took me about one hour to familiarize myself with WM5" etc. you won't master or even begin to crack the large WM5 world. Just like it took me months before I was ready to finally make a custom ROM on the 650, or understand that issues with NVFS and lost preferences, etc.

So most of your "issues" here can be addressed easily enough had you asked around or read up a little bit. I mean, these are very ameteur/novice "problems".
    I will stick by my statements. The point I was trying to make at least in regard to SMS and email was that more strokes are required. I know there is a dismiss button and what I donít like about it is first that the stupid thing will not go away unless you menu to the dismiss button. I would have liked it better if I could push any one of the main buttons to dismiss the notification. While as you have stated the today screen is customizable I didn't like how I interacted with it. The poster ask why I personally didnít like the WX and why I switched. I gave my opinion. Why are you the one to tell me how to use my device? I am not saying that WM5 is horrible I just donít like how many more buttons I was pressing to do the same thing on my 700P.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToroA View Post
    The point I was trying to make at least in regard to SMS and email was that more strokes are required. I know there is a dismiss button and what I don’t like about it is first that the stupid thing will not go away unless you menu to the dismiss button. I would have liked it better if I could push any one of the main buttons to dismiss the notification.
    Then you should have said that. No offense but your point you now make above was not very clear in your original post.

BTW, the reason why there is not a "single key dismiss" option is so when you pull it out of your holster or pocket, you don't accidently dismiss what is coming in. That would give you even more steps just to figure out what alert just occured.

So therefore you have to hit 2 buttons instead of 1 to Delete, Dismiss or Call back. Personally I think that is smart, you disagree. Fine, no problem.

Why are you the one to tell me how to use my device? I am not saying that WM5 is horrible I just don’t like how many more buttons I was pressing to do the same thing on my 700P.
    I'm not telling you how to use your device (that I assume you don't even have anymore), I am merely clarifying statements. I am not interested in whether you like WM5 or not, that's your business.

Case in point, your statement about "no immediate Send in email" is only partially true. Now, that distinction is obviously not important to you but it is to me and I think others should know that it can do this if you use an Exchange account.

No different than when a Palm OS user responds to the no multi-tasking complaint with "Yeah but it can run pTunes and Chatter in the background and Blazer remembers your last page".

That's an important distinction to some.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 09/28/2006 at 03:52 PM.

Ok I get it no matter what I put in response you will have issue with. Thats fine just to clarify I was unhappy with the 700 wx and that is why I returned it. It did not appeal to me and I am very happy with the 700p and would reccommend it over the WX.
    I will stick by my statements. The point I was trying to make at least in regard to SMS and email was that more strokes are required. I know there is a dismiss button and what I donít like about it is first that the stupid thing will not go away unless you menu to the dismiss button. I would have liked it better if I could push any one of the main buttons to dismiss the notification. While as you have stated the today screen is customizable I didn't like how I interacted with it. The poster ask why I personally didnít like the WX and why I switched. I gave my opinion. Why are you the one to tell me how to use my device? I am not saying that WM5 is horrible I just donít like how many more buttons I was pressing to do the same thing on my 700P.

Not trying to make you change your mind, but so that people don't come into it with false pretenses. There is a setting in "Sounds and Notifications" that you can turn the pop up off so that when you get a text message that notification won't even come up, it will just ring or vibrate and then change your message count on the today screen.
    Ok I get it no matter what I put in response you will have issue with. Thats fine just to clarify I was unhappy with the 700 wx and that is why I returned it. It did not appeal to me and I am very happy with the 700p and would reccommend it over the WX.
    And evidently whatever I write you will have issue with.

ToroA, stop being so defensive. You're acting childish.

I already told you I really don't care if you like Palm OS more than WM5--that's your business.

This is a "discussion" board so yes, I feel that I can comment on other poster's writings whether they like it or not. If you don't want people responding to things you write, don't write on a public message board.

Crazy, eh?
    Last edited by Malatesta; 09/28/2006 at 03:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    ...Crazy, eh?
    I take offense to the term crazy. I prefer "Sanity Impaired"
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast