1.    #1  
    Two Questions regaring my 700P:

1. I use epocrates essentials as a medicine database. I have had trouble with my palm crashing requiring frequent reboots both soft and hard. Has anyone else had this issue? Will it fix the problem if I put epocrates on a SD card?
    2. I want a backup software system so that i can have a faster restore of the system..Any recomendations for a specific product? Where to buy?

3. are there SD cards that are better than others?

THANKS!
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    I can only comment on #2 and I use NVbackup. it's free and you can find the link elsewhere in this forum. it worked wonderfully for me this morning as I needed to restore from a hard reset. JM2CW.
    Memory management - a topic that hits us all. Take a look at your db cache using MemoryInfo - I bet it there is not a lot of free memory there. When the free db cache memory gets low, resets result and low means below 5 or so megs.

When it resets are you loosing any apps or data files? If so, then it is definitely the db cache in a low or badly fragmented state.

What to do:

monitor the db cache and clear it as needed. There are two applications that do this, I use MemoryInfo. In addition, Preference Doctor allows you to set the minimum db cache available and will perform a flush when that level is reached.

Other things to look at in the memory management arena - a good third party launcher and there are bunches and bunches of them. The best one that gives you the most free memory, options and customization is ZLauncher. A good third party launch allows you to move applications to the card for storage that do not need to be in main memory (they do not have to operate on their own or respond to alarms, do not come on at specific times, et cetera).

To augment your backup procedure (down to one backup a day) there is an application by Northglide called On Guard/Restore - it is designed to copy an application and its database files upon the application's termination. I use it to copy HanDBase's files and the PIMs used by Datebook 6.

There are other utilities that will increase your device's stability. Those include Resco Backup (discussed above - db cache flush/reset after backup, ability to handle suspension of alarms during backup, locking applications in memory, et cetera); Resco Lock (the heavy duty application locker - I no longer use it, having enabled that option within Resco Backup); Butler (monitoring rogue entries in the db cache); Preference Doctor to monitor saved preferences and ease the work required to restore them upon their loss during a reset and to also clear the db cache when it reaches a user specified level; and MemoryInfo to monitor and clear the db cache as needed.

Ben
    I second that to Resco. I use it and utilize the dbcache flushing option after each initial backup.
    at&t iPhone3G
    A question about Epocrates Essentials - is it a "big" program? If if is a "big" program, then loading it from the SD card may take a "substantial" period of time that may cause you to go to sleep, die of hunger, or some other very serious action. In addition, loading "big" programs also has a habit of chewing up and fragmenting memory and that in itself can cause problems up to and including soft resets. So, if the memory is available to you, then keep it in main memory. The big thing here is available memory, regardless of where it is launched from. If there is insufficient room for it to comfortably run in main memory, it makes no difference where it is launched from.

Another option is the use of a third party launcher that gives you maximum free memory - the one right now for that is ZLauncher. I would still keep the "big" program in main memory, just move the other ones to the launcher's application folders.

Going with this is the need for "proper" memory management and that may take some time for you to obtain. Of course make sure you let the application developer know of your difficulties - meaning contact the Epocrates developer and let them know your problems.

#3 - yes there are differences in cards, both speed and reliability. I use SanDisk and there are bunches and bunches of threads on cards.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by mmusco View Post
    Two Questions regaring my 700P:

1. I use epocrates essentials as a medicine database. I have had trouble with my palm crashing requiring frequent reboots both soft and hard. Has anyone else had this issue? Will it fix the problem if I put epocrates on a SD card?
    2. I want a backup software system so that i can have a faster restore of the system..Any recomendations for a specific product? Where to buy?

3. are there SD cards that are better than others?

THANKS!