1.    #1  
    I have a question about all these comments about a Treo 650 and dialup. Not trying to sound sarcastic or anything but all the posts about dialup fail to explain one simple important detail.

When using the Dial-up portion of the treo 650, is this using your minutes or a data plan?

The reason I ask is if you donít have a data plan you will be charged .10 cents per kilobyte of data bandwidth used.

Now will PdaNet or any other dial-up software for my Treo650 give the ability to dial in to my ISP?

For example, If I use Earthlink, PeoplePC, or Netzero as one of my ISPís, I will like to configure my software on my Treo 650 to dial to an access # provided by my ISP through my laptop, enter my username and password, and connect to my ISP. I want the usage to come off my cell phone minutes as opposed to data usage because theoretically that is how dialup works on an analog PC modem.

If I have to have a data plan, then why will I want to connect to the internet using my Treo when I can just use the internet on the phone! For a bigger screen, sound useless.

Can this be done?
    In the old days of analog modem dial-up meant one thing. Now in the context of mobile phones Dial Up Network (DUN) means something that uses the mobile service provider as the ISP using up "data minutes" or with an unlimited data plan.

To use the Treo as a modem you will have to define a new Network connection in Pref. There you will specify the phone number of Earthlink (or whatever) and possibly a script for user ID, password etc.

This old way of getting to the Net is called Circuit Switch Data (CSD). Your mobile phone company can distinguish between CSD and voice calls and may charge you for it.

Last time I checked T-Mobile did not charge for CSD but Cingular charged a monthly fee and one had to call Cingular to enable CSD.

Finally, CSD is much slower than 56K modem of the yesteryears.

Hope that helps
    Last edited by PrioTreo; 09/27/2006 at 07:38 PM. Reason: typo
    Prio Treo
    Unlocked Unbranded Treo 650 on T-Mobile-T-Zone
  3.    #3  
    Yes, it did help.

The reason i ask is because to get an unlimited data plan with cingular it is like $20/month which to me sounds like another phone bill.

Thanks for you help.
    My carrier is Sprint, and I have an unlimited data plan with them. Last year I was outside Sprint range for a few days, but within Verizon roaming range. I decided to try dialing up to my (work) ISP, figuring that I would only use some voice minutes. But Verizon+Sprint figured out that these were data calls, and tacked on some extra fees accordingly. Fortunately I was only online for a total of about 10 minutes, and as I recall I only racked up a few dollars in fees.

Previously I had a Treo 600 on T-mobile with no data plan, and used this dialup mechanism all the time, with no additional charges (only consuming minutes). Of course, the connectivity and throughput were terrible ...

Just another data point ...
    OK, here are my data points. I'm on Verizon with the 650.

1. I can dial up one of the numbers listed on nocharge.com and connect my Treo to the internet. Blazer works fine when I do this, but it's slow because nocharge.com's free service is slow, only about 10 kbps (I'm not complaining, after all it's free.) Verizon NEVER charges this connection as data.

2. If I try to use one of the 56K dial up modem numbers from my work to get some more speed, it won't connect, regardless of what combination of automatic or manual IP addresses, DNS server IP addresses and other settings I use.

3. Switching gears at bit now, if I use the Shadowmite hack to enable Bluetooth DUN from my laptop and I dial up one of those 56K work numbers, it connects fine, but again at a very slow rate (like 10 kpbs again). Verizon NEVER charges this connection as data.

So #1 is another data point in response to canibuston's original question. Now here is my question: any suggestions for tutorials on how I might diagnose the problem connecting to my work dial up modem numbers? Obviously I searched, maybe I missed something on TC?
    Quote Originally Posted by bobodobo View Post
    Now here is my question: any suggestions for tutorials on how I might diagnose the problem connecting to my work dial up modem numbers? Obviously I searched, maybe I missed something on TC?
    If you still have a computer with an old-fashioned (landline) modem, then the best way is to go through the exercise of getting that to work with your ISP (work dialup). After you have that working, compare the settings side-by-side with your Treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by jae_63 View Post
    If you still have a computer with an old-fashioned (landline) modem, then the best way is to go through the exercise of getting that to work with your ISP (work dialup). After you have that working, compare the settings side-by-side with your Treo.
    Yeah, I tried that, no joy... as far as I can tell I've tried every setting that is capable of being set on the 650's Network/Preferences page. Again, I can dial up NoCharge.com with NoProblem... and I can dial up my work modem numbers via my PowerBook/Bluetooth or Powerbook/LandLine with NoProblem... but try to dial up the work modems directly from the 650 in the same way I did with NoCharge.com, or through the Powerbook (Bluetooth or LandLine), the only site I can access is NoJoy.com...