1.    #1  
    Looking for suggestions/recommendations/advice on the best way to expunge old software and start afresh on my Treo.

I bought my Treo about a month ago and have installed so much software and removed a lot too.

Hacked the ROM and removed a lot of unnecessary crap.

Now I just got my A-Data 4GB card and want to start off with a clean slate from fresh and only install the software I like (after reveiwing a lot) on the SD card (at least as much as possible anyway).

The only data I want to keep is my contacts, calendar and PDAbs (Fitness software) data.

1. Hotsync Treo to Desktop
    2. Not sure how to restore PDAbs data...
    3. Unplug Treo from Hotsync cable
    4. The none native apps are stored in a typical folder: C:\program files\palm\username\backup .

If you rename this backup folder to backupold - that keeps them handy and then hard reset the device and sync - only your PIM information will make it back on to the device. Does this mean I should set the conduit to PC overrides Treo? Please clarify this for me.
    5. Install apps to SD card through install manager
    6. Hotsync

Is that the correct procedure? Please clarify anything I may have wrongly assumed or missed.

I would rather do it this way than use "Uninstall Manager" to remove unwanted programs. I just want to start with fresh clean slate.

Last question, since I deleted the Treo Launcher, would I need to first install my Launcher (LauncherX) in the install manager and then hotsync to get my Treo back up and running?

Thanks in advance!

Perhaps we can make this thread a sticky once the correct procedure is identified to help out others that want to do the same thing in the future.
    Unlocked Rogers GSM Treo 650, PalmOS V5.40017, Firmware: 01.71, Software: Treo650-1.20-ENA
    Modded and hacked! Custom ROM - removed RealPlayer, Todo, Tasks, Versamail, Tips, World Clock, Launcher. Added support for FAT32 SD cards.
    Software: PDAbs, Backup.NET, Uninstall Manager, Card Reader, FileZ, Power RUN, DateBk5, DocumentsToGo, HandZipper, Chatter, TakePhone, Technician, Voice Dial, TCPMP, SpashPhoto, Insaniquarium, Memory Master, Sol Free, Palma Sutra
    An installation management program makes it easy to delete applications in the future. ZLauncher has it built into its file management system; though it does not have the power of Uninstall Manager.

From my experience, all of the launchers use the built-in Treo launcher as their base and removing it may cause you problems.

There are threads that disucss this, search for ROM. Ben
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    An installation management program makes it easy to delete applications in the future. ZLauncher has it built into its file management system; though it does not have the power of Uninstall Manager.

From my experience, all of the launchers use the built-in Treo launcher as their base and removing it may cause you problems.

There are threads that disucss this, search for ROM. Ben
    I already deleted the default launcher as described in the various custom ROM threads and installed LauncherX and so far my Treo has worked flawlessly. Not sure which problems you are referring to.
    Unlocked Rogers GSM Treo 650, PalmOS V5.40017, Firmware: 01.71, Software: Treo650-1.20-ENA
    Modded and hacked! Custom ROM - removed RealPlayer, Todo, Tasks, Versamail, Tips, World Clock, Launcher. Added support for FAT32 SD cards.
    Software: PDAbs, Backup.NET, Uninstall Manager, Card Reader, FileZ, Power RUN, DateBk5, DocumentsToGo, HandZipper, Chatter, TakePhone, Technician, Voice Dial, TCPMP, SpashPhoto, Insaniquarium, Memory Master, Sol Free, Palma Sutra
  4.    #4  
    Bump!
    You have various options within the Palm Desktop that allow you to sync specific applications. My suggestion would be to move or rename the user folder, create another user folder with the "old" name, copy the PIM files to their appropriate folder in the new "old name" folder, set all of the sync options to "Do nothing" and your calendar, memos, to do, et cetera, set that to "desktop overwrites device." Doing it this way means nothing can go wrong if the files on the desktop are up to date and error free.

Ben
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    You have various options within the Palm Desktop that allow you to sync specific applications. My suggestion would be to move or rename the user folder, create another user folder with the "old" name, copy the PIM files to their appropriate folder in the new "old name" folder, set all of the sync options to "Do nothing" and your calendar, memos, to do, et cetera, set that to "desktop overwrites device." Doing it this way means nothing can go wrong if the files on the desktop are up to date and error free.

Ben
    Thanks Ben. I am still curious to know if my phone will turn into a brick after a hard reset and sync (the way you have described above). Considering that I have deleted the default launcher from ROM.