Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Running TT6 on a treo 650. Problem I am having is that the app is really slow. I have found that 8k clusters are all I can reliably run with my 4gb card (another issue).

When I show info from within TT it states only 0.8 Free Ram. This seems to be the core of my speed issues. I am running a custom rom with everything I an afford to lose out of it. I stripped all the apps I can out of ram and my heap and dbcache both state decent availability (heap round 5, cache closer to 12)

What does your TT free ram show? Any ideas for me?
    How much free memory do you have before TT6 starts?
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
  3.    #3  
    I have 10.6 mb of dbcache, and 4.5 mb of free heap space as reported by mem info. TT shows only 0.8. Initially (before I deleted most of my apps that run in ram,) TT reported 0.4 free and TT was unbearably slow. If I could get to a couple megs free (showing in TT info,) I have no doubt TT would work the way it should.
  4.    #4  
    Well I have tried my hardest to free up more DBCACHE and HEAP. I have removed all of the bloat I can (usuing Shadomites list as a guide.) I cant get much more than I have previously stated. TT6 still states my "Free RAM" as 0.7 or 0.8 MB, this is dissapointing. I took a look at my buddies iPAQ4350 with TT6 installed on it and his free ram was listed like 18 MB.

Difference being this when he calculates a route lets say NY to VT, it takes 20 seconds. When I calculate the same route 5 minutes at least. Which wouldnt be so much of an issue, but if it "re-calculates" while in route then I might as well pull over.

I wish there was a way to get this to perform better, I am starting to wonder how TT could market this product for this device. It is truly not suffeceint (in my eyes) to provide even a marginal level of satisfication from the user.

I am hoping someone shows me the light, but am losing hope!
    Free RAM is dynamic heap cache. Treo 650 has only 5MB dynamic heap cache, while TT6 with whole USA mapset need at least 4MB memory. If you have chatteremail running, it will be impossible to have more than 4MB dynamic heap cache left.
    Treo 750 unbranded T-mobile, HTC WIZARD 8125 T-MOBILE (broken), Treo 650 T-mobile 1.43/1.14 OS 5.4.8 Garnet (sold).
    Dell X50v, X30 624Mhz and HP ipaq h2210 h1945.

Treo 750 hacks thread.
  6.    #6  
    As reported by meminfo I have 5.4 mb of heap, and with Chatter running I have 4.04 free. Chatter is running from ram.

TT is pretty unusable with complete map loaded. They should advise against it for Palm users. I will try and split the map and see if the helps. Thanks.
    You should post your question on this thread as there are a lot of users on there using TT and maybe someone can help you out. http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...03#post1093803
    Unlocked Rogers GSM Treo 650, PalmOS V5.40017, Firmware: 01.71, Software: Treo650-1.20-ENA
    Modded and hacked! Custom ROM - removed RealPlayer, Todo, Tasks, Versamail, Tips, World Clock, Launcher. Added support for FAT32 SD cards.
    Software: PDAbs, Backup.NET, Uninstall Manager, Card Reader, FileZ, Power RUN, DateBk5, DocumentsToGo, HandZipper, Chatter, TakePhone, Technician, Voice Dial, TCPMP, SpashPhoto, Insaniquarium, Memory Master, Sol Free, Palma Sutra
    Just for comparison, on my 650 (Verizon), I had about 14 MB free RAM after deleting some things from ROM using the custom ROM tool and moving all the RAM apps I could to the SD card. After installing the Garmin Que software and deleting all the foreign language files, I'm at 9 MB free RAM. Everything works fine and it seems that all 9 MB are available for dbcache or whatever. (The Garmin basemap and detailed maps are stored on the SD card, though of course portions must load to RAM when you run the program.)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobodobo View Post
    Just for comparison, on my 650 (Verizon), I had about 14 MB free RAM after deleting some things from ROM using the custom ROM tool and moving all the RAM apps I could to the SD card. After installing the Garmin Que software and deleting all the foreign language files, I'm at 9 MB free RAM. Everything works fine and it seems that all 9 MB are available for dbcache or whatever. (The Garmin basemap and detailed maps are stored on the SD card, though of course portions must load to RAM when you run the program.)

Can you read the previous replies? The free RAM is not free storage space, but free dynamic heap.
    Treo 750 unbranded T-mobile, HTC WIZARD 8125 T-MOBILE (broken), Treo 650 T-mobile 1.43/1.14 OS 5.4.8 Garnet (sold).

Treo 750 hacks thread.
    Well please excuse my ignorance! Shame on me! Garmin Que doesn't report free memory, so I downloaded MemoryInfo.PRC and here's what it reports:

After soft reset, nothing running:
    Storage Heap (Flash): Total Size: 23024 KB; Total Free: 9520 KB
    NVFS Cache (RAM): Total Size: 11007 KB; Total Free: 3333 KB; Largest Free Chunk: 3319 KB
    Dynamic Heap (RAM): Total Size: 5440 KB; Total Free: 3647 KB; Largest Free Chunk: 3437 KB

With Garmin Que (navigating), PocketTunes (playing) and a phone call all running in the background:
    Storage Heap (Flash): same as above
    NVFS Cache (RAM): Total Size: same as above; Total Free: 2144 KB; Largest Free Chunk: 1722 KB
    Dynamic Heap (RAM): Total Size: same as above; Total Free: 3325 KB; Largest Free Chunk: 3217 KB

I don't understand why the numbers are only slightly less with all that stuff running in the background, but those are the facts. In any case, I haven't seen any slowdown of Garmin Que or other apps after Que was installed, although there is a glitch in TCPMP with Que installed (see this thread.)
    Last edited by bobodobo; 09/28/2006 at 02:20 PM.
    Well please excuse my ignorance! Shame on me! Garmin Que doesn't report free memory, so I downloaded MemoryInfo.PRC and here's what it reports:

NVFS Cache (RAM): Total Size: 11007 KB; Total Free: 3333 KB; Largest Free Chunk: 3319 KB
    Dynamic Heap (RAM): Total Size: 5440 KB; Total Free: 3647 KB; Largest Free Chunk: 3437 KB

With Garmin Que (navigating), PocketTunes (playing) and a phone call all running in the background:
    NVFS Cache (RAM): Total Size: same as above; Total Free: 2144 KB; Largest Free Chunk: 1722 KB
    Dynamic Heap (RAM): Total Size: same as above; Total Free: 3325 KB; Largest Free Chunk: 3217 KB

I don't understand why the numbers are only slightly less with all that stuff running in the background, but those are the facts. In any case, I haven't seen any slowdown of Garmin Que or other apps after Que was installed, although there is a glitch in TCPMP with Que installed (see this thread.)
    Palm OS is single task OS. Running meminfo will stop other GPS software (excluding those running background like chatteremail or ledoff), so you won't see the real dynamic heap cache using this method.

Treo 750 hacks thread.
    If it helps, according to MemInfo my 650 has after a reset :
    Total NVFS = 14,527
    Free NVFS = 11,697
    Largest Chunk = 8,624

And the KeyguardTime+ popup shows 11.3mb of NVFS, which shows it is showing the true current NVFS memory.

If I start up my Garmin GPS 10 and then press the KeyguardTime+ pop up it shows 10.7mb of NVFS, after I have got it to draw up a route 400 miles long.

So I think this shows how efficient the Garmin unit is on the Treo
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT View Post
    If it helps, according to MemInfo my 650 has after a reset :
    Total NVFS = 14,527
    Free NVFS = 11,697
    Largest Chunk = 8,624

And the KeyguardTime+ popup shows 11.3mb of NVFS, which shows it is showing the true current NVFS memory.

If I start up my Garmin GPS 10 and then press the KeyguardTime+ pop up it shows 10.7mb of NVFS, after I have got it to draw up a route 400 miles long.

So I think this shows how efficient the Garmin unit is on the Treo
    You also have some confusion here. KT+ only shows dbcache, which is not the dynamic heap cache (THE REAL RAM).

Treo 750 hacks thread.
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Offlush is one of solution to clean up some dbcache once you have the error in the 1st picture below. To name a few: Resco Backup version 1.40, Rescolocker, or uncache. To be precisely, the "Largest Free Chunk" is the problem, whenever it drops below 18xxKB, my TT6 refuses to run.

TT6 runs slow, especially with the whole USA-Canada, have nothing to do with DBcache, but the SD card and other application running in the background as P-tunes or chattermail. This problem was also discussed here.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...p-C13CC56B.jpghttp://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...p-C141E49E.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by cellneuron View Post
    Palm OS is single task OS. Running meminfo will stop other GPS software (excluding those running background like chatteremail or ledoff), so you won't see the real dynamic heap cache using this method.
    Well, I don't know about other GPS software, but Garmin Que software DOES run in the background. How do I know? If I'm on a route and exit Que to go to another app, when I have a turn coming up or I go off route, a Que screen will pop up and let me know about the turn or re-routing. I picked 3 apps that I think/know are resource hungry (Que, PocketTunes and Phone) and run in the background, simultaneously, just so I could try to generate a worst-case RAM usage.
    You also have some confusion here. KT+ only shows dbcache, which is not the dynamic heap cache (THE REAL RAM).
    I'm not confused, as I was only answering the question from a NVFS DbCache point of view

As it happens I have also boosted my Dynamic Heap RAM ,by using the UDMH app. I've proved this works by opening huge pdf files in full colour in PalmPDF.

And to round off the circle, I have optimised my DbCache by using UnCache.

Finally with my custom ROM mod, I now have a very stable 650
    Thought of the day :
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT View Post
    BTW when I used to use Navman GPS the above figure of 10.7mb was reduced to less than 1mb, and it used to crash all the time.
    Thought of the day :

I am wondering if we are in the same page. Are you sure there is a Garmin Que version for Treo 650? Never heard about it.

Treo 750 hacks thread.
    I am wondering if we are in the same page. Are you sure there is a Garmin Que version for Treo 650? Never heard about it.
    http://www.garmin.com/products/gps10/

Surprisingly, the word "Que" doesn't appear on this page! But that's the software you use on Palm devices. There are many posts about Que software for Palm on TreoCentral. And you can download the software from Garmin's site:

http://www.garmin.com/support/collec...t=010-00378-00

The LATEST version of the Palm software is more than a year old, and presumably will be replaced by Mobile XT shortly. A Windows Mobile beta version is available on Garmin's site (same URL as above) but no Palm beta yet.
    http://www.garmin.com/products/gps10/

Surprisingly, the word "Que" doesn't appear on this page! But that's the software you use on Palm devices. There are many posts about Que software for Palm on TreoCentral. And you can download the software from Garmin's site:

http://www.garmin.com/support/collec...t=010-00378-00

The LATEST version of the Palm software is more than a year old, and presumably will be replaced by Mobile XT shortly. A Windows Mobile beta version is available on Garmin's site (same URL as above) but no Palm beta yet.

Tried the Garmin Que, and deleted it instantly. Not even as good as Mapopolis, let alone TOMTOM 6.

Treo 750 hacks thread.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast