Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    I'm noticing that my battery life has increased. I had suspected previously that being connected to the Power Vision data network would draw more battery power. The double arrows, whether blue or grey, meant you had an active data connection. After closing email or Blazer, this connection would still be active hours later. I'm noticing now that Power Vision disconnects (no arrows) within half an hour after no data activity, which I believe is giving the improved battery life. Sprint must have changed something on their network recently. Any one else seeing this?
    Last edited by daver42; 09/26/2006 at 12:56 PM.
    Last night I was able to do a PRL Update and notice today that the Battery Drain has been greatly reduced. My current PRL ends in 24 my previous ended in 21. This is the only thing that has been changed, also my usage day to day is similiar. So whatever cause this improvment be it PRL or Network changes it was for the better.
    What Prl rev do you have daver42?
    at&t iPhone3G
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    Whaddaya know, I've got 20224. I had gotten the update message last week but it kept saying it failed. I did do a reset though this past weekend after it froze up, and then started noticing the better performance. Didn't think to look at the PRL version, since I had just updated to 20223 not too long ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by daver42 View Post
    Whaddaya know, I've got 20224. I had gotten the update message last week but it kept saying it failed. I did do a reset though this past weekend after it froze up, and then started noticing the better performance. Didn't think to look at the PRL version, since I had just updated to 20223 not too long ago.
    That should be the reason for the improvement. It has been spoken about on a previous thread.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Its possible for a PRL to improve the battery life a bit depending on where you live, but most wont see any substantial increase. All a PRL does is update the roaming agreements with other carriers towers. This would possibly keep your Treo from searching for towers randomly causing minimal increase. It will take a firmware update to make any major improvments to battery life with our Treos.
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    Wow, mine has 20224 too, that's totally a pleasant surprise
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    Well something was done that seems to disconnect Power Vision much sooner due to inactivity (read my post above again). I had been disconnecting manually using the RESET-NETLIB program and saw good results with battery life but it was small hassle.
    Quote Originally Posted by silversurfer20 View Post
    All a PRL does is update the roaming agreements with other carriers towers. This would possibly keep your Treo from searching for towers randomly causing minimal increase. It will take a firmware update to make any major improvments to battery life with our Treos.
    Actually 2 points:

1) EvDO prls are different from 1x prls, hence the naming difference in version numbers. The reason for this is PRLs can have the potential to "...increase acquistion of EvDO services" though HDR channels
    read here: http://wiki.treocentral.com/index.php/PRL_%26_EvDO

2) This PRL update has a specific fix for the 700p, so it's not surprising to hear of these reports from users

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Well I agree with you Maltesta on those points, but I can't see how a PRL update is going to make a noticiable difference in battery life. To each is his own though. I personally have never seen one through the 3 PRL updates on my 700p. I can see how a minimal increase is definately possible, but the battery life on the 700p isnt very good at all. On a 650 my battery would last a whole day or longer. If I turn off BT I can definately get a day out of it though. I still think it needs to be addressed in an update.
    Those of you waiting for a battery fix in the firmware updates: I don't think any CDMA FW update for the 600 or 650 increased battery life. If I recall correctly, some made it even shorter.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    I have been looking for an automated program that automatically disconnects the EVDO data network vs. using Reset-NetLib, or Network Down, manually. I used to use Treo 600 connection manager, or TreoHelper to disconnect after a specified period of inactivity.

I have been trying to get developers to jump on the bandwagon, and either add this feature to existing software (example: PhoneTechnician), or to develop a program that works with EVDO. I believe the others I mentioned only would work on 1xRtxx. I am a firm believer that if you disconnect from the data network that it increases battery life significantly.

Any developer want to give this a go? It is obvious that I am not the only one on these forums that thinks that disconnecting from the EVDO data network saves battery.

Would love a positive response from a developer. I would even beta test if someone could figure this out.
    New Treo 700P Sprint User
    Old Treo 600 Sprint User
    Well I agree with you Maltesta on those points, but I can't see how a PRL update is going to make a noticiable difference in battery life. To each is his own though. I personally have never seen one through the 3 PRL updates on my 700p. I can see how a minimal increase is definately possible, but the battery life on the 700p isnt very good at all. On a 650 my battery would last a whole day or longer. If I turn off BT I can definately get a day out of it though. I still think it needs to be addressed in an update.
    lol, no I should clarify: I totally agree that improved battery life is most likely NOT due to a PRL update and more realistically just the battery breaking in.

I just wanted to acknowledge that PRL updates on EvDO phones possibly do more than just help with roaming. Thanks for pointing out that confusion on my part!

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    All a PRL does is update the roaming agreements with other carriers towers. This would possibly keep your Treo from searching for towers randomly causing minimal increase.
    You might be underestimating the power drain from the cell radio. It's the single biggest power issue by a large margin, especially when potential roaming is in question.

Though I agree that I never would have expected this many users reporting a battery life increase that was actually noticible to all of them, just from a PRL update. But I can suppose I could imagine a scenario where a PRL update could do this... even just a small quirk in the way the Treo searches for towers could save power if it wasn't exactly optimized before.
    I did the prl update........and I don't know......my battery seems the same, it's only been two days so i'll have to see if there is any difference over time.
    !! uNo.....DoS.....tReO!!

http://www.myspace.com/ljj8503