Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    What are the pros and cons of TCPMP versus Pocket Tunes?

I will take a stab (feel free to correct me if I am wrong about something please):

Pros of TCPMP
    1. Freeware
    2. Plays audio and video formats
    3. Small footprint

Pros of PocketTunes
    1. Fancy interface
    2. Background playback,
    3. play lists,
    4. streaming music,
    5. EQ,
    6. crossfading,

Cons of TCPMP
    1. Basic interface
    2. Won't play music in the background. If you switch out of it to another application, it will stop playing

Cons of Pocket Tunes
    1. Not freeware http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...e&prodID=45900
    2. Plays only audio files

I am basically trying to decide if I want to install Pocket Tunes or TCPMP on my Treo
    Last edited by SilverGS; 09/26/2006 at 12:41 PM.
    Unlocked Rogers GSM Treo 650, PalmOS V5.40017, Firmware: 01.71, Software: Treo650-1.20-ENA
    Modded and hacked! Custom ROM - removed RealPlayer, Todo, Tasks, Versamail, Tips, World Clock, Launcher. Added support for FAT32 SD cards.
    Software: PDAbs, Backup.NET, Uninstall Manager, Card Reader, FileZ, Power RUN, DateBk5, DocumentsToGo, HandZipper, Chatter, TakePhone, Technician, Voice Dial, TCPMP, SpashPhoto, Insaniquarium, Memory Master, Sol Free, Palma Sutra
    dont be so cheap with your memory ! Install both and see which one you like !
    Fred
    Cingular 680
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by fkjr2 View Post
    dont be so cheap with your memory ! Install both and see which one you like !
    If you have used either, please provide some constructive feedback instead.
    Unlocked Rogers GSM Treo 650, PalmOS V5.40017, Firmware: 01.71, Software: Treo650-1.20-ENA
    Modded and hacked! Custom ROM - removed RealPlayer, Todo, Tasks, Versamail, Tips, World Clock, Launcher. Added support for FAT32 SD cards.
    Software: PDAbs, Backup.NET, Uninstall Manager, Card Reader, FileZ, Power RUN, DateBk5, DocumentsToGo, HandZipper, Chatter, TakePhone, Technician, Voice Dial, TCPMP, SpashPhoto, Insaniquarium, Memory Master, Sol Free, Palma Sutra
    I think a big con for TCPMP (which I use daily) is that it won't play music in the background. If you switch out of it to another application, it will stop playing.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by albertb View Post
    I think a big con for TCPMP (which I use daily) is that it won't play music in the background. If you switch out of it to another application, it will stop playing.
    Thanks! I will update the list above with your feedback!
    Yes, background playback, play lists, nice GUI, streaming music, EQ, crossfading, etc..

I use Pocket Tunes for mp3's and TCPMP for videos. I have no issues having two separate programs for it. If I didn't want to pay for Pocket Tunes I would have just used Real.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    Yes, background playback, play lists, nice GUI, streaming music, EQ, crossfading, etc..

I use Pocket Tunes for mp3's and TCPMP for videos. I have no issues having two separate programs for it. If I didn't want to pay for Pocket Tunes I would have just used Real.
    Excellent! Keep it coming folks!
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    i use TCPMP strictly for Video Playback of my movies.

Pocket tunes lets me listen to music and most importantly allows me to listen to the shoutcast stream i created for my astros games
    "Never Put off until tomorrow
    what you can do the day after tomorrow"
    --Mark Twain

PalmIII => Sony Clie' => Dell Axim X30 => Treo 650 and loving it
    pockettunes plays .wma files as well.
    !! uNo.....DoS.....tReO!!

http://www.myspace.com/ljj8503
    I just use Ptunes for music and TCPMP for video play with the right plugins to utilize wmv format.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart View Post
    I just use Ptunes for music and TCPMP for video play with the right plugins to utilize wmv format.

which plugin for wmv? I thought those have to be converted in order to play on Palm os?
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    which plugin for wmv? I thought those have to be converted in order to play on Palm os?
    AAC and FFmpeg. Yes they do have to be converted via Palm desktop and then sync them into your treo in your folder of choice on your SD card and after that all wmv files play smooth as silk with audio.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart View Post
    AAC and FFmpeg. Yes they do have to be converted via Palm desktop and then sync them into your treo in your folder of choice on your SD card and after that all wmv files play smooth as silk with audio.
    what palm desktop - do you mean something like Pocket DVD converter software bought separately or thru the Palm software itself? Sorry I am still confused.
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    ...nice GUI...
    pTunes can also have a "basic" GUI if you delete the default HR skin, then it starts to look more like TCPMP... the "skin" does occupy a lot of memory, which is a good enough reason to get rid of it.
    The skin stays on the SD card, so why would I care?
    what palm desktop - do you mean something like Pocket DVD converter software bought separately or thru the Palm software itself? Sorry I am still confused.
    The Palm desktop software that came on the CD with your Treo.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    how do you get them onto the palm deskopt software?? drag the files into the media section??? I tried that and it said file type not supported.
    Former I-500, Treo 600
    Former 650 User !
    Former 700p
    Now 755P
    *All Sprint*
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    im getting error: video wmv file type not supported in tcpmp
    Former I-500, Treo 600
    Former 650 User !
    Former 700p
    Now 755P
    *All Sprint*
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    ah.. i got it.. files have to be moved over on desktop to the media section, and it automatically converts the format..
    now they are playing, even on the standard video and pic player...
    why is tcpmp even needed ?? LOL
    Former I-500, Treo 600
    Former 650 User !
    Former 700p
    Now 755P
    *All Sprint*
    I heard tcpmp is coming out halfway throught oct. or towards the in with alot of new improvements.

New interface
    supposably support skins
    streaming audio and video
    backgraound paly and etc.

Version 1 coming soon.

U then might have to recosider the pros and cons. I'm excited for and can't wait.
    Google is my Best Friend

The Building of the Biggest Software Site EVER!

http://www.treoquestions.org/questions/downloads.php
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast