Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Along with most of you, I have had issues with the 700p being slow when switching between apps and also being annoyed by the call duration screen staying up too long. At least for me, I believe I have found the 3rd party culprit: Treo Guard!

Many of us had it on our 650s, and as we all know the developer is nowhere to be found. Some of the features work like the on/off timer and the option to turn the screen off completely while on a call, while others like the power button toggles screen, doesn't. Well, after toying around with different built-in and 3rd party options to make up for the non-working Treo Guard features, I found one that works pretty good, and virtually eliminates the slow down!

First, I disabled the feature in Treo Guard that turns the screen off. Next, I enabled the 'disable touchscreen during calls' option in preferences and have it set to dim the backlight after 30 seconds.

Doing this not only solved the issue I had with accidentally pushing buttons on the phone with my face, but the annoying call duration screen only stays up for about 2 seconds now, when before it would be up for almost 10. Switching between apps doesn't take as long now, either.

The only feature I still use with Treo Guard now is the timer, and I will probably replace it altogether today. Hope this helps! Even if you don't use Treo Guard and are noticing a slowdown, chances are there may be a 3rd party app causing the problem. My guess would be it's anything that hasn't been updated since the 650.
    The pic is of my 4-year old big boy with Benny the Bull at a Bulls game

Baby girl due 5/22/08!
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    versamail slowed mine down badly. it wasn't auto checking either. it was slow overall. verizon. it installs so much stuff I know I didn't get everything deleted.
    If I could know then, what I know now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Tone View Post
    Along with most of you, I have had issues with the 700p being slow when switching between apps and also being annoyed by the call duration screen staying up too long. At least for me, I believe I have found the 3rd party culprit: Treo Guard!
    Thanks for the report Big Tone, one bad app can drive one to the madhouse.
    The only feature I still use with Treo Guard now is the timer, and I will probably replace it altogether today. Hope this helps! Even if you don't use Treo Guard and are noticing a slowdown, chances are there may be a 3rd party app causing the problem. My guess would be it's anything that hasn't been updated since the 650.
    I still use it for the time and also to disable keys on an incoming call (so I don't accidently answer the call). Any thoughts on what would replace Treo Guard for these two functions?

Kelly
    A slowdown situation I encountered was in using MP3s for alarms (PalmaryClock) with PocketTunes selected as the player. When I ended an alarm, apparently PTunes stays fully loaded in dbcache and running in the background. I was getting the exact same described slowness and lag in switching between apps. I changed the setting in PalmaryClock to run PTunes when I end the alarm. So now when I tap the center button to end the alarm I am presented with the PTunes app. I hit the home button to exit PTunes properly, allowing it to fully unload, and whalla!!! No more sluggishness issues!!!
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by kjflint View Post
    I still use it for the time and also to disable keys on an incoming call (so I don't accidently answer the call). Any thoughts on what would replace Treo Guard for these two functions?

Kelly
    In preferences you can disable the touchscreen during calls, which should prevent accidentally answering a call. When you say you still use it for the time, are you referring to the on/off timer? If so, I just installed a freeware app called Watchmaker. Here's a link to it: http://mytreo.net/downloads/details-369.html

I don't know if it works, because I just installed it. But it's free! I'll try and test it before I leave work for the day and will post my results. I have completely removed Treo Guard from my phone.

Baby girl due 5/22/08!
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by wellsjs View Post
    A slowdown situation I encountered was in using MP3s for alarms (PalmaryClock) with PocketTunes selected as the player. When I ended an alarm, apparently PTunes stays fully loaded in dbcache and running in the background. I was getting the exact same described slowness and lag in switching between apps. I changed the setting in PalmaryClock to run PTunes when I end the alarm. So now when I tap the center button to end the alarm I am presented with the PTunes app. I hit the home button to exit PTunes properly, allowing it to fully unload, and whalla!!! No more sluggishness issues!!!
    When I read this post I got to thinking. I use ZLauncher and have a different jpeg for each app page. I wonder if that adds to a slowdown, too?

Baby girl due 5/22/08!
    I sync email just once an hour via Versamail and it isn't too bad. The sluggishness comes and goes. I can't pinpoint one reason or culprit to it. All I know is I try to ditch dbcache, blazer cache and cookies and keep things clean and it runs smooth, but at times when I don't do any of the above is when I get the lags.
    at&t iPhone3G
  9.    #9  
    I use VersaMail and sync every 5 minutes (yay Seidio extended battery!). It's the same way I used it on the 650. The only time I notice a slowdown is if I'm running Ptunes while Versa Mail is running. It used to be real bad, but since the Ptunes update I haven't had nearly as many issues. I also run an IM program in the background that doesn't have much effect if at all.

Baby girl due 5/22/08!
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    I wasn't even using versamail, but once I deleted all the versamail related files, such as MM___ and creator ids asc3 and asc4 my 700p speed up considerably. I have also unchecked the empty cache on exit in blazer.

The versamail deletion was noticably faster. I was amazed as I said,I wasn't even using it.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    noodlelest wet noodler
    Once again, we are all waiting for the firmware upgrade that will address and hopefully correct many of these problems. Meanwhile, the 700p continues to perform like its processor is overmatched for the operating system. My phone now reminds me suspitiously of a computer desktop system that meets the absolute performance minimums for an upgraded operating sytem...
    No the backgrounds only take active memory and do not come in to play until they are called by the application. Like you I also have different backgrounds. A couple of ocean related, a waterfall, one totally red, one totally white. Ben

When I read this post I got to thinking. I use ZLauncher and have a different jpeg for each app page. I wonder if that adds to a slowdown, too?
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Deleted all the versamail files as suggested. Blazer still takes 10+ seconds to launch. Oh well.
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    I wasn't even using versamail, but once I deleted all the versamail related files, such as MM___ and creator ids asc3 and asc4 my 700p speed up considerably. I have also unchecked the empty cache on exit in blazer.

The versamail deletion was noticably faster. I was amazed as I said,I wasn't even using it.
    I have never used Versamail, but identified it as the culprit a while back. I've disabled it's hotsync conduit and made sure never to launch it. Doing so always seemed to introduce a lag on the phone screen (especially when going between the main phone screen and favorites). A hard reset and careful reload were the only things that seem to help. I use Chatter for email and it has never caused me problems. My 700P is fast as lightning and I'm lovin' it!
    My 2, it's all I can spare
    Treo 270 Treo 600 Treo 700P *** Unmentionable *** Pre {rooted}
    I use VersaMail and sync every 5 minutes...
    I would have thought this alone would contribute quite a bit to slowdowns.
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    robguz,

I also unchecked clear cache on exit in blazer prefs. This helped my blazer loading lag as well.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    noodlelest wet noodler
    When I first set up my 700p, I ported over the programs and settings from my 650. Later, I did a hard reset and configured the device from scratch. There was a significant increase in speed and responsiveness (though it's still slower than my 650 was).
    The primary reason for the slowdowns is slow database access times. The Treo 700P experiences significant delays when accessing database records. Much more so than the Treo 650. I estimate the access times are in the area of 10x slower than the Treo 650. I am hoping Palm will release a fix for this problem.

Jeff
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    I would have thought this alone would contribute quite a bit to slowdowns.
    I did a hard reset today and there was a slight difference between when VM was used and when it wasn't.

I did notice that using a pic as the display on the dial pad causes a bit of a slowdown, though. Changing it back added a little pep when moving between apps.

Baby girl due 5/22/08!
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    I use chatter, portapodder, ptunes, java plugin, Yahm for font smoother and messaging constantly throughout the day. I experience significant lags from the phone app and blazer of upto 2 mins throughout the day. I am going to try the hard reset this weekend to see if it helps. But I have to agree with KefferLucas about needing a firmware update. Sometimes this is just insane to put up with. My Treo is the only item that I tolerate or expect subpar performance from, but I can't seem to stop the insanity...............................
    Cigar,
    VZW 755p
    VAJA Orange Case, Custom takephone skin (Thanks NachoB), Chatter, PalmRevolt, treolauncher, and a bunch of other stuff
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast