Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    I have 1.05a and Blazer works fine for me...
    - I don't have the whitescreen problem (or at least, mine lasts only 1 second at startup of Blazer).
    - I can view 640x480 pictures. (This might be a cache problem for folks, try clearing it and making sure you have a good cache size like 1MB).

Blazer is faster, but not too much and I think the font has changed where it more crisp, like cleartype.

Then again, I don't have much on my treo. Standard image with Versamail 3.5, Docs to Go 7, Facer 3.1, Adobe Acrobat Reader, Profiles, Commontime, Directory Assistant, Google Maps, FileZ and PTunes.
    Could my White Screen of Boredom be due to the way I customized my ROM? I removed:

All foreign language files
    Clock
    Calculator
    Tutorial
    Handango Launcher
    RealPlayer
    ProvAppRedirector.prc (as per Abe Frohman's suggestion)

and replaced FATFS.prc with FAT32.prc.

Is anyone having the White Screen of Boredom with a stock 1.05a ROM?
    I have it and don't see a white screen with Blazer.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobodobo View Post
    Could my White Screen of Boredom be due to the way I customized my ROM? I removed:

All foreign language files
    Clock
    Calculator
    Tutorial
    Handango Launcher
    RealPlayer
    ProvAppRedirector.prc (as per Abe Frohman's suggestion)

and replaced FATFS.prc with FAT32.prc.

Is anyone having the White Screen of Boredom with a stock 1.05a ROM?
    I did not customize the ROM, and I get the white screen.

But with a hard reset and nothing else installed, the white screen problem goes away.

I suspect my problem is due to the fact that I had to restore my device after the install using my sd card backup, rather than with a hotsync, contrary to instructions, because the install process had failed.
    Interesting. I customized the ROM but DIDN'T restore from the SD card. In fact I re-installed all apps manually to make sure I didn't restore old useless files. To figure out how to eliminate the white screen I'm searching for a pattern of who does/doesn't get the white screen and I don't see it yet...

By the way, it seems that the white screen ALWAYS appears the first time I open Blazer after a soft reset. I'm not completely sure yet, but it appears that that's the only time it happens.

ALSO (not sure if it's related or not), whenever I start Blazer it asks me if I want to connect to the internet (as the previous version did) but (only with the new ROM) then if I say no, it asks me again. Or, if I say yes, then cancel the connection, it tries to connect a second time. I wonder if Blazer and internet connection are fighting each other? I've tried playing with the preferences settings in Blazer and Network Preference to see if I can affect the problem either way, but so far nothing I've tried affects behavior.
    I just tried updating my Verizon Treo 650 with 1.05a and it apparently killed my phone! After the update, the phone stayed on "Network Search" for an hour, so I called Verizon support. After walking through several different resets (which I had already done), they declared my phone dead and are shipping a replacement to me. I asked about the update "breaking" the phone, and the technician told me "it can happen" and advised NOT installing it unless you have a specific problem that the upgrade addresses.
    Last edited by bruceeckert; 11/02/2006 at 03:00 PM.
    I contacted Verizon about my two issues with 1.05a. Namely my Palm Bluetooth headset no longer works for redial and my Acura MDX not thinks my phone is always roaming. Neither issue existed with 1.04. Verizon support told me I needed to contact Palm to resolve the issue with my bluetooth headset and this is my favorite, they want me to contact Acura support to resolve the issue with the roaming indicator. Don't they get that the problems didn't exist before the 1.05a update. It's so difficult to get good support these days....Guess I have to live with these two issues. At least the phone does seem a lot more stable now.
    Treo 650 Verizon 1.04
    http://www.rgps.com
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    I performed the update without a problem. I did, however, do a fresh install of all my programs following. I am getting the Blazer white screen problem. However, I use OperaMini so it will not be an issue. In fact, Opera seems to be working fatser as well. Since the upgrade my Treo has been rock solid for the first time in the 1 1/2 years that I have owned it. Also, some time ago I dumped the Jabra 250 headset in favor of the JX10 because it would not automatically connect on outgoing calls. I retried the 250 after the upgrade and it now connects automatically on outgoing calls. Overall, the upgrade is a great improvement.
    I recently updated my custom 1.04 Verizon ROM to the newer 1.05a from Verizon. The initial upgrade did not work, but following their troubleshooting, I was able to complete the upgrade.

The first thing I did was to use Shadowmite's 650Tool to replace FAT with FAT32, which worked flawlessly. I then tried to get rid of Real, Handango, Wireless Sync, etc., but every time I did so, I would end up in a reset loop.

At first, I tried to remove everything, but when that didn't work, I started by just removing the tour, upload the ROM using Matt's ROM Tool--many thanks to him for such a great tool!--and then resetting my Treo. Result: reset loop.

I played around with removing different things: just Real, just the Tour, just the clock, etc. Nothing seemed to work. Note: I could do a reset and hold the up arrow, but any subsequent reset would result in a loop.

Any idea what I may be doing wrong? Fortunately, I made a backup rom with just the FAT32 driver, so I am able to use that as a starting point. Perhaps it is corrupted?

One other thing: in addition to using Shadowmite's tool, I also just dumped the ROM to a folder, deleted what I didn't want, convert the ROM back to a zip file and uploaded it. Same result.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Jägs; 11/03/2006 at 11:04 AM.
    I just successfully updated the ROM on my "new" replacement 650 to 1.05aVZW.

I just got this 650 today and this is the first thing I've done with it. My current 650's headset jack died and this is the replacement that they sent me under warranty. I figured I'd get the whole ROM update thing out of the way before I actually switched to using it, since I need to hack the ROM for FAT32 anyway.

Has anyone had any problems with the "bundled" apps? I saw a warning on Palm's site about needing to upgrade D2G, etc. I was planning to just do a BackupBuddyVFS backup on my current 650, pop it into the new 650 (with new ROM once its got FAT32 to support my 4GB card), have BBVFS do a restore and go. Is that going to be a bad idea?
    Well, not wanting to wait around for advice on using BBVFS to restore from a hard reset after doing the ROM update I just went ahead and did it.

There was 1 error message during the restore, something to do with a Snapper file. I just told it to ignore and continue and Snapper appears to be working fine anyway.

Express wouldn't work right, but I suppose that may be because it is one of the apps listed by Palm that needs an update. I updated D2G and deleted the other 3 apps that Palm says need updating. I never use the eReader thing (is that for PDFs?) and the Zap game was just on my expansion card, I don't us it either. I'm planning to get a new version of Express because I use it for weather reports.

Other things I've noticed are the extremely long white screen I get sometimes. It happens a lot when opening Blazer but I've also had it happen at other times, I should have taken notice better but I just gave up and went on to something else. Also, I've noticed that the first time a call rings it starts off at low volume and very quickly (before the first ring is done) ramps up to full volume. I think it sounds weird and I'm going to try to see if there's a spot to turn this off.
    I upgraded a couple weeks ago, and I've had no problems whatesoever. I must say that the Mac instructions are horrible. Forget the whole section that talks about a PALM folder being created on your desktop (that entire section), and install everything to your palm via hotsync. My Treo is faster, and more stable with the new update (I came from 1.03, though)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Cat View Post
    Also, I've noticed that the first time a call rings it starts off at low volume and very quickly (before the first ring is done) ramps up to full volume. I think it sounds weird and I'm going to try to see if there's a spot to turn this off.
    Unless I'm mistaken, this update also includes the option for escalating rings (softer to louder). This is in your Sound & Alerts program, under Phone: Tones: Escalate ring tone volume. That probably is what is causing your odd ring. Hope this helps!
    Still no luck using the ROM tool to get a bare-bones Verizon 1.05 ROM. Would anyone be willing to PM me with one?

If possible, I would like to have the FAT32 driver, but get rid of the language files, clock, calculator, tour, tips, Real, Wireless Sync, Handango, etc.

Thanks!
    I've been watching this thread and hearing about people bricking their Treos and wondering - why would I ever risk this???

I'm running the original ROM that came with the phone almost two years ago (Version 1.01-VZW) and my only real complaint is the weak signal. I understand this is common on Treos. I've overcome the low volume issue with VolumeCare, so now I need to ask myself - is the potential stronger signal gain worth the risk of a bricked phone?

Comments?
    I wonder the same thing. I'm using Vers. 1.04a-VZW on my Treo 650 and am not in any hurry to try out this new update. I do not use Bluetooth, which is what seems to be the biggest plus w/the new version. (and I use Volumecare as well).
    Tell me more about RAT32 and RomTool. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mybadcode View Post
    1.04 to 1.05a does make a big change in bluetooth carkits. I use all three Motorola carkits in my fleet. I had set my 650 to autoanswer. That was the only way I could get it to work.

What I have found is the following;
    MOTOROLA 98500/S9642C - before 1.05 Auto answer works button to hangup works. With 1.05a Auto answer will not work, nor pressing the button. Need to answer with the phone then press the button.
    MOTOROLA HF850 - before 1.05 Auto answer works button to hangup works. With 1.05a Auto answer will work and hangup works.
    MOTOROLA INF1000 - before 1.05 Auto answer works button to hangup works. Redial does not work. If placing a call may disconnect from the kit without dropping the call. With 1.05a Auto answer will work, redial works, all voice dialing works.

If you are using the MOTOROLA 98500/S9642C I would not do the upgrade.
    I have the Treo though Verizon and just got the IHF1000 installed... can receive incoming calls with no problems but when I try to make a call, the motorola woman says 'call ended' as soon as my Treo screen dims (about 5 secs after the call is placed) ... i have to manually exit out of bluetooth mode in order to talk to them on the Treo handset.. any ideas as to what the problem? TIA
    See my other post but the Treo is working fine now this morning with the IHF 1000 ... it's pairing quickly and i can make outgoing calls and have received a few this morning... folks say they hear me very well - loud and clear... perhaps the Updater worked and it needed to load correctly or something...
    I upgraded to 1.05a about a week ago, then promptly got a 700p (work provides my phone). I had to hard-reset first, after having the endless-loop reboot issue.

I didn't have lots of time to test things, but the phone's stability was improved (it didn't cure reboots , but did lessen them). Bluetooth was greatly improved over the previous versions. With the rom update on the 650p, the headset engages much more reliably, and in half the time, so there isn't that annoying pause (sometimes 5-10 seconds where I had to hold the 650p up to my head for the "Hello?" part) and allowed my answer button on my headset to work every time rather than most of the time. That said, so far my Treo 700p has been even better with my Jabra BT250v than my 650 was with the 1.05a update. With the upgrade, my 650p took about 1-1.5 seconds to engage the headset; the 700p is instantaneous so far. As others have mentioned, Blazer is upgraded to 4.3.2 (my 700p came with Blazer 4.5 by comparison), and if you use DocsToGo, you'll need to upgrade that app to 7.6.

If you have to buy your own phone, you may very well want this update as opposed to upgrading to the newer Treo. The 1.05a ROM doesn't make the phone perfect, but it makes the 650p what it should have been at time of release.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast