Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    http://www.bluetomorrow.com/content/section/320/443/

I have to replace my lost SE 662 that I loved so dearly. This runs about $90 (hypothetically - no one seems to have them in stock). I found a "branded" one from Newegg for $40. Like every good deal, there IS a catch. Instead of that nice matte black finish on the body, it has an orange insert around the buttons. Good thing I'm a Clemson alumnus! I got one for me and one for my wife. They should be here tomorrow. I'll post back with a comparison with the 662. The Newegg version is branded "Avixe" instead of Teling, but has the same model number.
    Former long term user of the Treo line, then on to the HTC 8125/8525. Now I have graduated to the iPhone. For the first time since getting my first Treo 600, I am not constantly scanning the web looking for a better converged device.
    That looks like the thing the aliens used on Cartman in that southpark episode.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Beam me up, scotty!
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stroths View Post
    That looks like the thing the aliens used on Cartman in that southpark episode.
    I love converged devices!

UPS should leave it on my doorstep today. I'll post an intial impression sometime tomorrow...
    sorry to hear about your Clemson problems. No cure yet but the rest of the country will continue to search

GO PACK!
    I wouldn't be caught dead with that thing IMO.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bling300c View Post
    sorry to hear about your Clemson problems. No cure yet but the rest of the country will continue to search

GO PACK!
    HAY, watch out, boy - I can spell an right perty good. I can cipher up to 300, to.
    I can tell the differnce in all kinds of cows, and I no all bout tracters.

Oh, and Clemson USED to have a good football team - when I was there years ago...

Yep, the still "proudly" display all the banners about national championships and bowl victories that happened before most of the current student body was born Oh, for the forgotten days of Danny Ford.

Fortunately, I was in the Bio department and not Agriculture - which is a fantastic program, but has an obvious stigma. Oh, and I couldn't really care less about football, except that the town becomes un-navigable about eight Saturdays each fall.
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart View Post
    I wouldn't be caught dead with that thing IMO.
    Well, that's the goal - NOT to get caught dead with it - or with anything anytime soon...
    Quote Originally Posted by vinman View Post
    Oh, and Clemson USED to have a good football team - when I was there years ago...
    And they still do!!
    <br>
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Not even a borg would assimilate that...
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    Well, the thing seems ok. It is WAY smaller than it appears. The whole thing is just over two inches long, and weighs next to nothing.

Range seems passable, but not quite as good as the SE662 that it's replacing.

I miss not having caller id.

It is very comfortable. I've had it in my ear all morning and keep forgetting it's there. That's a good sign. Even after "customizing" the SE with an eargel, I still could only manage about twenty or thirty minutes before it became too uncomfortable. Volume is as good. It seems that the mic is good, too. The people I've spoken with say it sounds like normal. It's a little "tinny" sounding, but not so bad that it's annoying.

The only thing that I'm having any real issue with is the "charger". It's basically a small black "thing" you carry around with you all day (it is VERY small, it's just an extra thing to keep up with). The headset plugged into the charger is still smaller than the SE662. You're supposed to keep the headset plugged into it when not in use, but I haven't run the battery down in over an hour of conversation. The "charger" is plugged in overnight to charge it. Basically, I guess it's a backup battery?

For $40, I'd have to recommend it - if you can deal with the orange...
    I don't think it would be worth $80 to get the all black version...
    Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Or not.

edit - I should proabably note that I'm using this with a Cingular 8125, but I played around with it with my Treo 650 this morning before I left for work. It seemed to work just as well with that.
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vinman View Post
    The only thing that I'm having any real issue with is the "charger". It's basically a small black "thing" you carry around with you all day (it is VERY small, it's just an extra thing to keep up with). The headset plugged into the charger is still smaller than the SE662. You're supposed to keep the headset plugged into it when not in use, but I haven't run the battery down in over an hour of conversation. The "charger" is plugged in overnight to charge it. Basically, I guess it's a backup battery?
    Just got this myself and so far I am very happy with the fit (its in ear canal, as opposed to over ear and the wep-200's system,that didn't fit my ear ) ,range and sound.

With the charger base. It has a second battery in the base, in addition to the one in the headset. You don't have to carry the base, but if you do put the headset in it, it will keep recharging the headset from it's battery. Thats how they get 15-18hrs talk and 400-500 hours standby. I presume if you don't carry the base around, you will get somewhere near 1/2 those numbers, which is about normal for a BT headset.
    Last edited by Meinken; 09/29/2006 at 02:16 PM.
    It is more important to affix the blame, than it is to fix the problem
    how quickly does it connect to your 700p?
    I am a techno-geek and 8 love all kinds of weird electronic toys. But this thing is **** ugly!
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treo...not! View Post
    I am a techno-geek and 8 love all kinds of weird electronic toys. But this thing is **** ugly!
    No, you took parts of this thread too literally - it doesn't REALLY go in your ****. It goes in your ear...

Of course, what YOU do with this thing is up to you...

Frankly, it's cheap and functions very well. I didn't find it so unappealing that I couldn't wear it, so I bought two (the other for my wife, who likes it too).

I don't have a Treo 700. I stated earlier that I paired it with my 650 with no problems. It connects with my 8125 as fast as my SE662 did. That's my only frame of reference. It certainly hasn't caused me any problems as far as it being "slow" to connect. It seems to indicate an incoming call within a second of my phone ringing. The charger vibrates like crazy!

The only real complaint I have so far is the ringer in the headset is VERY soft. If there's a lot of ambient noise, and I have my phone's ringer off, I don't know that I could hear it. Conversely, the SE662 was SO loud, it hurt my ear when it rang unexpectedly. It would ring simultaneusly with my phone, so I seldom had any warning. Careful what you wish for, I guess.

OK, one other mild complaint. The biggest earplug is still a bit too small. I have tiny ears, but I guess I have enormous earholes! It's fallen out of my ear a few times. I guess I need to be careful when using it near a toilet...

OK, maybe just ONE more...
    Like many inexpensive asian gadgets, the manual could use a much better translation, and it could be a little more complete. Fortunately, it's well illustrated if not the best written literary piece I've ever read. It IS a feel good piece, though. The writer gushes about how discerning and superior you must be for buying such a wonderful, advanced device.
    Last edited by vinman; 09/30/2006 at 09:09 AM.
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    I can happily retract one of my earlier complaints...
    The ringer volume can be adjusted DURING an incoming call while it's ringing. Not the most convenient way to do it, but it works. At the loudest level, it's actually just right for me. Instead of an annoying, very loud "ring ring" like the SE662, this plays "Ride of the Valkyries". An odd choice, but strangely cute...

I'm officially giving it two probes up.
    I think it looks "neat".