1.    #1  
    It adds some options to flush cache at under various conditions. I haven't had a problem with it so far. In the past, other cache clearing programs have caused resets for me when something was flushed that should not have been. We'll see if the same happens with this. http://www.hobbyistsoftware.com/Down..._Beta_1.20.prc
    Once I worked some kinks out upgrading from the 650 to the 700p (I just restored a backup minus saved prefs and deferring to "updated files" on the 700) I've yet to have any corrupted databases. That said, I get resets at least once a day... My understanding is PrefDr. 1.2 just adds DBCache functionality, which I dumped with the 650. If I manually reset a couple of times per day (especially after using a power intensive program, like Docs), I can generally preempt any resets. Generally.
    I just tried the latest beta of PrefDoctor and it was very buggy. I also get at least one random reset a day and would love to figure out what the conflict is, but PrefDoctor was giving me a reset every ten minutes.
    Since I updated my 650 to 1.71 FW I haven't had ANY dbcache problems at all. I use PrefDoctor, and it does save me a lot of grief on the occational crash from some other buggy program, but I don't think it's due to dbcache any more.

I don't get why the 700 has a problem at all given it should have the same level of functionality of dbcache management and a LOT more dbcache.
    I tried the 1.2 version yesterday, flushed the cache, the palm reset, and my saved pref file was damaged and pref dr. didn't save me.

Back on 1.1 with no complaints.
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
    Running it on both my 650 & 700p with no problems. Shadowboxer, did you try a manual restore of your saved preferences from within Preference Doctor? On the 650 before I got it to a point of no resets, I found twice that a manual restore of the preferences via Preference Doctor did restore the saved preferences.

Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by wellsjs View Post
    I just tried the latest beta of PrefDoctor and it was very buggy. I also get at least one random reset a day and would love to figure out what the conflict is, but PrefDoctor was giving me a reset every ten minutes.
    I'm using it with no problems

It sounds like you have got a major problem within your Saved Preferences file. It's not PrefDoc that's buggy, it's your Treo I'm afraid.
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowboxer View Post
    I tried the 1.2 version yesterday, flushed the cache, the palm reset, and my saved pref file was damaged and pref dr. didn't save me.

Back on 1.1 with no complaints.
    I can do the flush from within Prefdoc with no problem.

It sounds like 1.2 is finding a background problem in your SP file, or there is another app lurking with a problem ?
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    I suspect you are right -- something in my Treo is very very buggy! I get occasional crashes that corrupt my saved pref file and my zlauncher db file. I restore to files from last week, and I am ok.

there is a thread at mytreo where cofused verlon talks about this crash problem. Finding the offending program and locking it with Resco lock apparently fixes the problem.

too busy today to try...

Anyway, thank the lord for Resco backup
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
    Locking applications in memory is a big help for those that have not been updated to operate with the 650-700p series. I have used Resco Lock, but do not any longer. I use Butler and Resco Backup now and have had no problems with it. I use Preference Doctor to save those saved preferences and to ease the hassle of restoring them.

I have noticed during the reboot process that when a reboot on my device goes bad I hear a ringing type alarm and when that happens, it means the preference file was deleted (normally deleted, not corrupted). When that happens I open Preference Doctor and manually select "restore replaced preferences" - that option was at first very important for me as I worked to make the device more stable. In addition, when I know the device is really stable, I again from within Preference Doctor manually force a saving of the preference file. Also with the latest beta of Preference Doctor, I have it set to clear the db cache at 6mb and find it does just that. In the past I manually monitored the db cache and like the idea of not having to pay really close attention to it. I did try the clear "clear cache when any app exits" and found that under some conditions I could not turn the device off and in most situations, exiting time was substantially increased.

It is interesting to view the log created by Preference Doctor as it clears the cache - it shows those applications that make heavy usage of the db cache

Butler has a rogue entry routine and Resco Backup with it's flush and reset routines work well.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowboxer View Post
    I suspect you are right -- something in my Treo is very very buggy! I get occasional crashes that corrupt my saved pref file and my zlauncher db file. I restore to files from last week, and I am ok.

there is a thread at mytreo where cofused verlon talks about this crash problem. Finding the offending program and locking it with Resco lock apparently fixes the problem.

too busy today to try...

Anyway, thank the lord for Resco backup
    Great. Just got to this thread, an SMS came in, and I can't break out of an endless reset loop. Hard resetting now. Good thing I make about 19 backups each day.

EDIT: Great. Only lost an hour. Restored from backup. Still endless reset loop. Restored from backup minus PrefDoctor 1.25, and reverted back to 1.1. All's well again. Teach me to screw around when my device is WORKING FINE. Will I never learn?
    Last edited by CheckPt.Charlie; 09/27/2006 at 08:28 PM.
    We all never learn. I have received a fair number of SMS today and have had no difficulties. Nineteen backups a day? are you more interested in backing up applications or their data files?

Ben
    I use resco and only back up databases/user-files that frequently. So, for example, each time I add a contact, or a meeting, I make a "critical" backup.

Critical backups include the PIMs, saved & unsaved preferences DBs & ZLauncher DB, or other important (and difficult to reconstruct) data, such as my SplashID database. Takes only 8-9 seconds, and has saved my a** on a number of occasions.

I then do a "global" backup once/day, and keep 10 or so copies, in the event something like this happens, and I don't discover it for the better part of a week, I can easily revert to a prior version. I don't trust the "uninstall" to get everything. Once I restore the prior version, I then superimpose my PIMs and such (my latest critical backup minus the saved preferences & ZL DB) over that prior version, so I don't lose any new tasks, calendar entries, etc.

A couple of times a week, I pop the card out of my Treo and image it to my home machine.

A couple of times per month, I dump that onto a CD-ROM.

I do everything manually, as I find timed events and the Treo don't mix. I acutally bought OnGuard with my 650, but didn't like it. Too many issues.