Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31
  1. xsavior's Avatar
    Posts
    80 Posts
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
       #1  
    I was wondering what people use for GPS. Until i recently had it stolen, i had a hand held Garmin, that, while limite in memory, always served admirably for getting me from A to B. Since it is now gone, i'm looking into replacement options. I really like the idea of the Tom Tom Navigator 6, and for $300, it seems like a really good deal, and gets a ton of great reviews, but what might i be losing compared to a stand alone product of about the same price?

    I'm guessing since i've already made the hardware investement in my 700p, that $300 devoted almost entirely to the software will be significantly better than what i could get for the same price and almost having to "re-buy" the hardware component.

    Opinions?
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xsavior View Post
    I was wondering what people use for GPS.
    Opinions?
    I have the TomTom Navigator 5 and the TomTom receiver I use on my 700p. I absolutely love it. I have CoPilot 8 on my PC and have used the Delome products also I also have a Lawrence 300 hand held GPS. TomTom beats them all. The only thing I miss is the altimeter that is on CoPilot.

    I'm going to get Navigator 6 when they offer an upgrade.

    ck
  3. #3  
    TomTom Navigator 6 and Garmin GPS 10 work similarly and have similar feature sets. In both cases you buy a bluetooth GPS receiver that communicates with your Treo via software that you install on your Treo. Also both systems come with a data DVD containing a map database, some or all of which you upload to your SD card. The biggest difference seems to be whether the GPS unit or the phone itself is the hardware key for the map database. Garmin uses the 1st method which allows you to use the maps with many Palm, Pocket PC and Windows machines but only one (actually 2) GPS units, whereas TomTom uses the 2nd method which allow you to use the maps with only one Palm unit but many GPS units. Search my recent posts for more details.
  4. #4  
    I use TeleNav on my Treo 650. TeleNav is a great application. There is a fee, $9.99 a month BUT well worth the price.
    Thank You,
    Chris Luce
    mr_cluce@yahoo.com
  5. #5  
    Here's My $.02....

    For car navigation, I really love TomTom. I've been using v5 for a little over a year now and love the flexibility it offers. I started with a powered Treo-cradle GPS, but recenty picked up a GlobalSat BT unit. I've hard wired it into my glove box, and while it's completely out of sight, it syncs to the sats better than my cradle unit ever did (both are Sirf III units).

    On the other hand, I expected to also play around with Geocaching and my Treo. There are many software based nav tools and all look great -- HOWEVER, I have faced consideable frustration trying to get anywhere near as close to caches as my pals with stand alone units. The Treo "flip-flops" as I approach (about 60 yards or so) and can't seem to point in the right direction while at walking speeds. I have learned on a few GeoCaching sites that typical car-based units are not well suited for hand-help operation as they are "tuned" to function best at 20 mph and greater... That would explain my experience to a T!

    All-in-all, I LOVE my T700p and TomTom. It's a great traveling companion. For caching, however, I'm saving my pennies for a Garmin.
  6. #6  
    I use a Seidio 4850T GPS Car Kit and TomTom 5 on my Verizon 700P, and love it. It sincs up fast, provides hands free speaker phone and lets me use my Bluetooth headset, if I wanted to.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by kd_cooke View Post
    Here's My $.02....

    For car navigation, I really love TomTom. I've been using v5 for a little over a year now and love the flexibility it offers. I started with a powered Treo-cradle GPS, but recenty picked up a GlobalSat BT unit. I've hard wired it into my glove box, and while it's completely out of sight, it syncs to the sats better than my cradle unit ever did (both are Sirf III units).

    On the other hand, I expected to also play around with Geocaching and my Treo. There are many software based nav tools and all look great -- HOWEVER, I have faced consideable frustration trying to get anywhere near as close to caches as my pals with stand alone units. The Treo "flip-flops" as I approach (about 60 yards or so) and can't seem to point in the right direction while at walking speeds. I have learned on a few GeoCaching sites that typical car-based units are not well suited for hand-help operation as they are "tuned" to function best at 20 mph and greater... That would explain my experience to a T!

    All-in-all, I LOVE my T700p and TomTom. It's a great traveling companion. For caching, however, I'm saving my pennies for a Garmin.

    I really like the idea of hardwiring the GPS receiver into the glovebox. Is there any signal lost on the GPS or Bluetooth side that you can notice? How ofter does your Treo crash when running TomTom? Are you using any MP3 player while TomTom is also running?
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post
    I really like the idea of hardwiring the GPS receiver into the glovebox. Is there any signal lost on the GPS or Bluetooth side that you can notice? How ofter does your Treo crash when running TomTom? Are you using any MP3 player while TomTom is also running?
    BT is a non issue... The GPSr sits a mere 36 inches from my Treo mount. I can't say how this diminishes the signal, but ut works flawlessly.

    Likewise, I can only make broad sweeping comments on the relative reception of the satalites when my GPSr is hidden versus in direct view. TomTom's very crude 5-bar signal strength meter shows approximately -1 bar when hidden in the glove box versus out in the open. At times I do need to warm/cold start with the glove box door open, but once I get a sync, I can close the door... BTW, I need to open the door anyway to turn on the GPSr, so leaving the door open a bit is really no big deal.

    Regardless of these very minor concessions, the piece of mind knowing that my GPSr is out of sight and safe far outweights any minor signall loss.

    As far as crashes -- I don't think my Treo has ever crashed with TomTom... I'm running 5.21, It's been very stable with both BT and my older cradle/GPSr unit. I do not use my Treo as an MP3 while in the car -- I have a 60GB iPod for that purpose.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by kd_cooke View Post
    BTW, I need to open the door anyway to turn on the GPSr, so leaving the door open a bit is really no big deal.
    I have Tomtom 6 so I'm not sure if the receiver operates the same way but I have mine in my glove box attached to a power source, with no battery in it. I leave the unit switched on at all times. That way when I turn on the car, the unit comes on, when I turn off the car, the unit powers off. Have you considred that?
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by albertb View Post
    I have Tomtom 6 so I'm not sure if the receiver operates the same way but I have mine in my glove box attached to a power source, with no battery in it. I leave the unit switched on at all times. That way when I turn on the car, the unit comes on, when I turn off the car, the unit powers off. Have you considred that?
    It's not about whether I've considered it -- it just the way it is. My G-Sat BT-328 has only one button; it turns on when you hold it in for a second, and turns it off when you hold it in for a second (when power is applied to the unit, it defaults to off). Further, it has the feature of automatically turning off if it does not pair with another BT device in 10 min. And so, I have no option -- it is what it is!
  11. #11  
    I'm waiting for the Garmin 10x. Based on what I've read, I think it's better than TomTom. It uses Navtec maps which are updated much more frequently than Tom Tom's. And it's only going to be $199! Will be available in Nov. I'm sounding like a commercial now, aren't I?

    http://www.garmin.com/pressroom/mobile/091206a.html
  12. xsavior's Avatar
    Posts
    80 Posts
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
       #12  
    Aww great, another product??? But i was so close to making my decision!

    I saw the Tom Tom 6 in the Palm store in the Philly Airport, and the sales guy said that there was a $100 mail in rebate.. i haven't seen that any where else... if i had the funds available (stupid planning for next week) i probably would have got it. I travel all the time, so i need something i can take from my car to rental car with ease. I think the extra month that i'll have to wait for the Garmin would probably make paying the extra for the Tom Tom worth it.

    Has anyone else heard anything about the Garmin stuff?
  13. #13  
    Another vote for the GlobalSat -- I am using a BT-359 (no need to hide this guy in a glove compartment as it is small!!) with TomTom 5. The BT-359 is amazingly fast in its satellite acquisition and is small enough to store in the cup holder (or keep in your pocket as you are walking around)! TomTom 5 is OK, but I have used better systems (Alpine is still the best in my book). Having said that, the ability to have GPS everywhere I travel on my Treo is quite handy!
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xsavior View Post
    Has anyone else heard anything about the Garmin stuff?
    I use the Garmin GPS 10 and like it, but I'm more or less tied to Garmin since I already have a lot of their older map data bases (which work perfectly on the GPS 10, by the way). The things I would add are:

    1. Definitely wait for the GPS 10x + Mobile XT software, it (claims) to resolve most of the (mostly minor) issues I have with the GPS 10 + Que software (see my review here.)

    2. (Contradicting #1). Definitely take Garmin's claim of Nov. release of the GPS 10x with a grain of salt. They have been promising Mac applications for a long time, and nada to show for it.

    3. If you take any of these units with you while traveling in rental cars, trains, etc., I recommend engraving your phone number and "$xxx reward for return" on it. They're so small and inconspicuous... I've already lost one! Either that, or make sure it's ALWAYS plugged in when it's in a rental car, not because you need to keep it fully charged but because the cord always gets in the way and makes it a lot harder to forget.
  15. #15  
    Mogulman and others have done some great comparisons of Garmin and TomTom over on the TC Bluetooth board. Both have their advocates, so I guess it boils down to which features are most important to you. With Garmin having both a new receiver (the 10x) and updated software, I'm willing to wait another month or two.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by bobodobo View Post

    3. If you take any of these units with you while traveling in rental cars, trains, etc., I recommend engraving your phone number and "$xxx reward for return" on it. They're so small and inconspicuous... I've already lost one! Either that, or make sure it's ALWAYS plugged in when it's in a rental car, not because you need to keep it fully charged but because the cord always gets in the way and makes it a lot harder to forget.
    Yeah... I had someone steal my GPS 10 unit out of my car on a business trip to Miami about 3 months ago.

    I figured the person who took it probably doesn't even know what it does...
    The GPS 10 is magnetic on the bottom, so they probably stuck it on their refrigerator and press the power button so they can see the blue flashing light.... OOOOOhhhh.... Ahhhhhhhh....

    Luckily, you can buy just the hardware, separately. I got a new one a few weeks later.
  17. #17  
    Since I've used a Garmin eMap for several years, I'm definitely going to wait for the GPS 10x receiver to come out in November (hopefully). After doing some reading on TC and the Garmin sites, I'm still somewhat confused about what the difference between the Mobile 10 and the Mobile 20 is, and which is best for the 700P. I'd appreciate any attempts made to shed more light on this topic for me.
    Some other important considerations for me are being able to use it outdoors when hiking and whether the Garmin topo maps I already have from Mapsource will work with it.
    Another requirement for me is that it could also work with a MacBook laptop, which I'm planning on buying in the next 3 months. I realize that so far Garmin doesn't support Mac yet, but with some of the newer Mac's being also able to run Windows OS, this would still make it possible. However, I'm not sure whether the 700P supports the Mac's Bluetooth 2.0. I believe the Version 2 is backwards compatible with earlier versions of Bluetooth, so I suspect that this is not an issue. Any answers to these questions or anything by way of advice or suggestions would be very welcomed. Thanks
  18. #18  
    See this post for my interpretation of the difference between the 10 and 20.

    Since you want to use it outdoors, you want the 10x, which consists of a small bluetooth GPS receiver plus the software for your Treo as well as desktop software (Windows, of course) for transferring maps to your Treo. The 20x is intended primarly (exclusively?) for car use.

    Of course Garmin doesn't support Mac, but I use Macs and I have Garmin's software resting comfortably on my Treo. Here's how: Use Virtual PC (if you have a PPC Mac) or Parallels (if you have an Intel Mac) with Garmin's Mapsource software. To get maps on the Treo, you select them using MapSource and when you have the desired map set choose "Transfer to Device" and select your Treo. Mapsource will then put files into the Windows folder where files to be HotSynced to the Treo go. Then you can move these files over to the corresponding Mac folder and do the HotSync on the Mac side. Garmin is none the wiser. (Actually you could HotSync the Treo from within Parallels or Virtual PC, but I've found that to be risky; sometimes it messes up my calendar or contacts even when I've disabled those conduits on the Windows side so it shouldn't be doing anything to those databased.) For more info on this see my review of the GPS 10 on epinions here. This review for the GPS 10 with Que software, but I'm pretty sure it would be the same for the GPS 10x with Mobile XT.

    And yes, Garmin Topo maps work fine with the GPS 10 hardware and Que software. In principle you can load both into the same file that gets HotSynced to your SD card, then choose which ones you want to use at any given time via a check/no check menu, but I could never get that to work. I wound up creating one file with street maps, one with topo maps, then switching between the two by re-naming the file to the one Que expect to see (GMAPSUPP.IMG). A bit clumsy but it works.

    I use a 650, not a 700, but I have no problems with Bluetooth for HotSync, Dial Up Networking or file transfers using a PowerBook G4 Mac.
    Last edited by bobodobo; 09/30/2006 at 03:54 PM.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by bobodobo View Post
    See this post for my interpretation of the difference between the 10 and 20.
    Do any of the Garmin products allow for hands-free use when running the application?
  20. #20  
    I have a Garmin Quest 2 that I just got a few months ago. So far, I love it.

    I'm wondering if going with a Palm/GPS combo would be an upgrade or a downgrade.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions