1.    #1  
    I read the review of BugMe Messenger, and I'm thinking of upgrading my BugMe (isn't their any upgrade deal for VC readers?). I am demoing it right now, and I noticed that it doesn't have the transfer option or intellbogger plugins. Am I missing something?

Thanks,
    Ken
    First of all...cool doggie picture.

Secondly...I'll bet you that Iain over at BugMe would be kind enough to make sure you have a decent upgrade price as a VC reader (though I think they already have an upgrade price) and I will be sure to email him on your behalf.

Third...if you are looking to transfer images via hot-sync...I can tell you Messenger doesn't currently support it (just via modem at the moment)...BUT...conduit support will be available in April for free...and if you upgrade now...you get free upgrades for life.

If that is what you were interested in...I hope it answers your questions...otherwise let me know.

Alan
    I saw that everyone else had a signature and I felt left out, so here is mine.
  3.    #3  
    I am referring to the Transfer option in BugMe which transfers text to the other Palm apps (i.e. To Do, Memo, etc.).

Ken
  4. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Originally posted by kepstein
    I am referring to the Transfer option in BugMe which transfers text to the other Palm apps (i.e. To Do, Memo, etc.).

Ken
    I have registered BugMe!Messenger, and it *does* have the Intellibooger transfer feature.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the info, the demo version doesn't have this option.

Ken
    I have the BugMe trial and plan to buy the program. But - a question. Wondering if I should buy Messenger at the special price now, even though I do not have a modem for my Prism and I have not decided whether I will buy one. Is there any other benefit to the Messenger version over the standard BugMe program other than the ability to email the notes?

I am also interested in Screen capture - read that it doesn't work with Prism. True?

Please, some advice on whether I should shell out an extra $10.

Thanks.
    Well for one thing...I prefer the layout and function of Messenger to BugMe! There are some differences. As for the other issues:

1. It is my belief (meaning I believe I was told) that BugMe! will probably not be continued...I think they plan on rolling the two apps together...or something.

2. I think it is of value to buy now because you save yourself $10 and you get free upgrades for life.

What I like to see is that in March they will support the Eyemodule and will have some of the other bugs worked out and in April they will have full support of hot-sync, which even without a modem will come in handy...cause you can take your notes and email them from your computer or have copies.

I haven't tried it with the Prism...so I don't know about the screen capture.

What I have found really nice is that I gave my To Do List button to BugMe! Messenger...so I just push the button and I can start writing. I then like the ability to email that note...and even if I don't...it was just faster to write in my handwriting.

I don't know if it is worth the extra $10 for a product with features you may not use...but for an extra $10 you at least have that option...and with free upgrades for life...you don't have to worry about shelling out anymore cash.
  8.    #8  
    I like the BugMe interface better than the Messenger; a little simpler. They may be developing a conduit for sending messages from Messenger during sync.

I got Fatal Exception errors when using Snapshot on a Prism while in AvantGo.

Ken
    You'll notice in the review that I mentioned I wished that they had options for changing the sorting of the display...because I too like the BugMe! interface...but I have found myself using a lot of the Messenger icons.

I know it is on their list to add new sort functions and they are working on improving the interface...I hope just having a thumbnail view is one of them.
    Originally posted by kepstein
    I like the BugMe interface better than the Messenger; a little simpler. They may be developing a conduit for sending messages from Messenger during sync.

I got Fatal Exception errors when using Snapshot on a Prism while in AvantGo.

Ken
    I also get Fatal Exception errors with AvantGo and Handspring Photo Album.
    Bret Snyder<BR>If you don't know where you're going,<BR>You'll probably end up somewhere else.
    Hi folks,

Phew, I almost missed this whole BugMe!/Messenger discussion... anyway, to answer some of the points...

1) Transfers: Early versions of BugMe! Messenger did have Intellibooger transfers, the later versions don't. None of them should have! We will be replacing Intellibooger in both BugMe! and Messenger shortly with a more robust transfer mechanism, probably based on vCard/vCal, etc.

2) Views and Sorts: Yep, also on the list! The 6 note thumbnail of BugMe! and more ways to sort notes in the list view will be coming to BugMe! Messenger soon (I guess for both of these it will be April/May time)

3) BugMe!: Alan, I don't know who told you this, but we have no intention of rolling the two together - we actually rolled them apart so that we could really focus on 'messaging' in Messenger and 'bugging' in BugMe! We plan to add a lot more messaging capabilities to BugMe! Messenger, but want to keep BugMe! simple for those who just want reminder and note-taking capabilities. Having two products lets us do that without compromising either.

4) BugMe! to BugMe! Messenger: Sorry for not sorting out a discount earlier - this should make the upgrade $14.95 rather than $19.95... http://www.handango.com/PlatformProd...=121&catalog=1

5) Screen grabs - these should work on the Prism now. I will look into the specific issues with AvantGo (its on the bug list already)

6) Shapes: This has come up a lot in the review comments, and is the first time we've heard such a pro-drawing tools demand. We're certainly taking note of that demand.

7) Upcoming: Next week we will be releasing the eyemodule integration, in April we will have integrated SnapShot/PopMe! functionality and a PC conduit to send and receive at HotSync time. These upgrades will be free.

Hope that clears things up - thanks for all your interest in BugMe! and BugMe! Messenger, and feel free to drop me a line if their is anything else we can do for you...

Cheers,
    Iain
    Electric Pocket
    Last edited by iainb; 03/05/2001 at 12:41 PM.
  12.    #12  
    Hello Ian, thanks for joining in and clarifying some points about some great products.

Now, please tell me if the conduits will be available for Macintosh and will the Eyemodule additions fulfill a function similar to EyeMail (i.e. convert and email Eyemodule images)?

Thanks,
    Ken
    Hi Ken

The conduits will initially be available for the PC only. I will push to get these on Mac too, but we will probably have to outsource that development.

The eyemodule integration will let you take a photo directly inside BugMe! Messenger or let you import a photo from either the EM1 or EM2 image databases. Once the photo is in BugMe! you can annotate it with text or scribble just like any other BugMe! note and send it as a message, either as email message or directly to another BugMe! Messenger user.

The note we send will look as it does on your Visor screen, with the image scaled to fit. We think this is the best practical solution for current bandwidth-limited wireless networks. Its actually very cool - I never knew drawing beards on people and sending them out could be so much fun And I'm sure there are practical benefits too!

Cheers,
    Iain
    ok - still a little confused. I have a Prism. Again, I am deciding between BugMe! and BugMe Messenger. Are the screen grabs in both programs? Can I grab a screen and by hot sync transfer it to my PC and view it with your viewer?

Any other key differences between the apps other than email capability, which I don't need right now?

If I get Messenger, do I get ALL features of BugMe! Plus some?

Thanks.
    Last edited by dougef; 03/05/2001 at 04:36 PM.
    Hi Doug,

Both apps have screen grab capabilities and both work with our PC viewer, so you can get your notes to your desktop

BugMe! Messenger has all the features of regular BugMe! plus the email messaging capabilities...

Cheers,
    Iain

PS - I have found and fixed the crashes with Avantgo and a couple of other applications - this will be in next weeks release...
  16.    #16  
    What is the AvantGo bug? I just noticed this weekend that I can no longer do a modem sync with AvantGo. I get a Fatal Exception error and have to reset. I tried turning off Snapshot, but it still happens. I did register Messenger this weekend, and wonder if the AvantGo problem is Messenger or Snapshot related.

Thanks,
    Ken
    The problem we had when grabbing an Avantgo screen is that the Avantgo form is not 160x160 - it seems to be off the screen in both directions - this was causing our bitmap creation routine to explode.

I put in some sanity check code to make sure that we only try to create 'valid' bitmap sizes at screen grab time, and voila - now it works fine!