1.    #1  
    It is almost with a sad heart I have taken the decision to scrap Treo and Palm altogether. I have had every device since 1996, but now I have had it. I have enjoyed the community of users, I still think Palm OS is awesome, but Palm has just neglected the fans for too long. Here is my list of grievances:

1. Exclusivity. Why on Earth would Palm give Verizon such a long exclusivity period on the 700? Money talks obviously. But was there really any need to deny non-US residents access to this device?

2. Design. So many years, with the ugly antenna, and same thickness when everyone else is getting thinner. Yes, finally they are coming out with one that is thinner and with no antenna, but again, too little too late. And of course, this one is exclusive to Vodafone. Again, why deny non-Vodafone country residents the opportunity to buy this? Please don't tell me that cross country sales is so high to mess up this. That is a matter of correct pricing.

3. Features. The list of grievances here is long - here are just a few:
    * Why has it taken so long for Wi-Fi and 3G in one device? Of all the innovative power in Palm, you would have thought they would have come up with a combined device a long time ago. Instead they got beat buy the likes of Motorola, with the Q, which is a device that apparently sucks, but looks great and packs everything.
    * And what about Push email? Seems like Windows has beaten Palm here too.
    * And while others are moving towards 3 mega pixel cameras, Palm has barely bassed 1 mp. The camera is pretty much patethic.

4. Release cycle. The rate of new devices is simply too slow. Palm should know the replacement cycle just as well as anyone. Forcing 650 users to hold on to the device for 2 years with no chance to upgrade is simply torture. Palm is behind the curve. No doubt.

I am now sitting with an HTC TyTN, which albeit is a bit thick, but feels great in the hand, has the full keyboard which I have become depended on, packs wi-fi, bluetooth and 3G, supports push e-mail, streaming, video calling and has a 2 mp camera. So although windows mobile is a bit slower, and less user friendly, it will take a helluvalot for me to move back to Treo.

Still, can't help but feel a little sad... And feel a little nerdy in the process...
    Quote Originally Posted by jtklepp View Post
    It is almost with a sad heart I have taken the decision to scrap Treo and Palm altogether. I have had every device since 1996, but now I have had it.

Still, can't help but feel a little sad... And feel a little nerdy in the process...
    jtklepp, Sorry to see you go. I for one am not upset by the few number of treos over the last few years, and I think there are a significant number of us who do not buy the next new $600 phone every time they come out. I agree with you that the cameras are crap and that they shouldn't have caved to the telcos on the wifi. We definitely need people like you jumping ship in order to keep palm on their toes. Uk, windows? You're a braver person than me!

-- Bob
    jtklepp, I would prefer to say farewell *for now,* perhaps well see you again.

Good Luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    jtklepp, I would prefer to say farewell *for now,* perhaps well see you again.

Good Luck!
    Copernicus my friend...you have faith. If I were to leave Palm, my eyes are set on the i320. It would be nice if Sprint got it, then the deal would be closed.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Tis sad to se you go, but clearly the 650 was no longer meeting your needs in a connected device. I personally feel the same way (at times), but do not see many of the other aspects of the other OSes as ones to which I want to get used to just yet.

Personally speaking, I am pretty sure that I couldnt go to a WM device after the Treo. Symbian is pretty much it for where I am looking and more specifically an firmward fixewd version of the M600 is pretty fang close to what I am looking at.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    I have been feeling much the same way and have been looking at some of the latest Blackberry offerings (which I wouldn't have given the time of day in the past).

Palm just seems behind the curve and their innovation (particularly on form factor) is lacking of late. I also have some issues around quality that just keep nagging at me.

I have not jumped ship yet - but I am giving it serious thought. I don't like Windows Mobile very much and nothing Palm has done with it has pushrd me any more in that direction.
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM View Post
    Tis sad to se you go, but clearly the 650 was no longer meeting your needs in a connected device. I personally feel the same way (at times), but do not see many of the other aspects of the other OSes as ones to which I want to get used to just yet.

Personally speaking, I am pretty sure that I couldnt go to a WM device after the Treo. Symbian is pretty much it for where I am looking and more specifically an firmward fixewd version of the M600 is pretty fang close to what I am looking at.
    Hey Antoine...what device do you have?
    at&t iPhone3G
    Wifi is getting pretty close to being a deal breaker for me (especially if I have to travel and dont have CDMA service and I'd like to use skype).

I still think the treo form factor is good. I was playing with the MDA today and the slide out keyboard still bugs me.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

The main thing holding me on is the form factor. I love it in comparison to other devices. Despite the issues, the options the treo has and its form factor are a good combo if you have a stable device. WiFi would be choice.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart View Post
    The main thing holding me on is the form factor. I love it in comparison to other devices. Despite the issues, the options the treo has and its form factor are a good combo if you have a stable device. WiFi would be choice.
    I think the form factor (and one handedness) is great but web browsing is still lacking IMO.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Web browsing is lacking no matter what viewing mode its in. I only web browse as a last result if I don't have my notebook with me.
    at&t iPhone3G
    the next device ill be looking at is Fujitsu Loox T830, it has the same width with treo, so I guess it can be operated with single hand.
    Up to today , I am still having difficulties to get things done with WM5
    Hey Antoine...what device do you have?
    I have a 650 Cingular right now. Its actually doing quite well for me as a near-laptop replacement for me. In some weird twist of things, PDANet stopped working for me a few weeks ago, but BT DUN started working and so that has meritted some faster DUN with connecting to my desktop.

All in all, I am actualyl quite happy with the 650. I think that with the ROM updates that it has been a very good and (even as much to say) smartphone benchmark from Palm. The 700p was not IMO much of an update (except to those who do CDMA), and the 680, while having a great design (the little changes are neat and 80s MB-like) offers little other an a pricing point (which is much if it sells well).

The SE M600 caught my eye in the Palm DUbai review for its design and keypad (I type a lot, with an without an external keyboard). However the software stability is worse than that of the Treo's in many reports. And since I suffer maybe one reset a week, I don't want to go there in terms of stability issues. However, the UIQ platform has a definite positive future outlook, and I believe that in some measure, we all dont want to move from the PalmOS, but without a vision people perish, and well, I dont necessarly have to go down with the Palm that helps me.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Copernicus my friend...you have faith. If I were to leave Palm, my eyes are set on the i320. It would be nice if Sprint got it, then the deal would be closed.
    Yes, of course, I have faith left in Palm as I've never regretted purchasing any device from them, including (and especially) the 700p. We knew perfectly well what we were doing when we purchased the p and knew the risks of Palm ultimately falling completely into the Windows camp. Still, I would do the same thing over again if given the chance. I would rather let WM improve before undertaking a new learning curve (too much time invested in Palm). If we look closely we can see that all these devices have more than their fair share of problems. Now, if we let one or two years pass, the situation may change to the extent that, learning curve be damned, I may have to jump into the abyss.

For now I see no compelling reason to do so.
    Last edited by copernicus; 09/25/2006 at 11:34 AM.
    Alot of the features you are "missing" is unknown by me. I live in the boondocks so WI FI is almost Latin as far as I am concerned however, I want to ask. For the ones that have and/or will jump ship won't you have a problem with all the Palm OS Software you have bought over the years. Am I correct in that it would be worthless on the WM machines?

Thanks
    Alicia
    Quote Originally Posted by camarodreamer View Post
    Alot of the features you are "missing" is unknown by me. I live in the boondocks so WI FI is almost Latin as far as I am concerned however, I want to ask. For the ones that have and/or will jump ship won't you have a problem with all the Palm OS Software you have bought over the years. Am I correct in that it would be worthless on the WM machines?

Thanks
    Alicia
    Absolutely worthless unless they have been ported to WM. In that case you salvage the learning curve only as you most likely will have to pay for the app again. There is a WM emulator that runs some Palm apps but it is not working very well from what I have heard.