1.    #1  
    I'm in my 7th day since my last Fatal Exception crash, caused by an unknown application, on 9/17/06. This is the longest I've gone since getting my phone on August 11th.
    my girlfriend 700p last crash on july 28 (dial ##ERR#) she's not super power user but she does use it for everyday activity, we've been extremely happy with our treo 700p ( her treo experience white lag screen while changing application too) nothing major to complain about. My treo 700p last crash on Aug 30 (and I am a power user, my treo is by my side 24/7)
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    According to Verizon's Palm tech support person, you should do a reset every few days. Not sure if this will prevent crashing, but it can't hurt. (can it?)
    i'll admit that I am a serious power user, and my treo hangs right in there with me for the most part. Once I got it as 'solid' as I could with all thevnumerous apps I possess, I haven't had a rest about 3 weeks now. I should point out that I think the reason for that is I have rescobackup clear the dbcache and reset every night, this has helped me have a trouble-free treo imho.
    !! uNo.....DoS.....tReO!!

http://www.myspace.com/ljj8503
    yeah forgot to add that I use NVBackup so I backup and reset everynight.
    Global Posts
    740 Global Posts
    2 weeks ago Verizon's insurance swapped my 1 year old 650 for a new 700p. I have loaded all my aps directly from the website and have not loaded any apps (except for Tomtom) that has not been tested with the 700p.
    This is my 4th smartphone and so far the only one that is not giving me resets (yet). And I've owned a long list of organizers even before the smartphones.

All the others I've had reset issues but they were all leading edge devices and the leading edge is also the bleeding edge with new technology so I delete prob apps and learn to live with a few restes every now and then. My feeling is also that they have done an amazing job stuffing all the features into such a small form factor like the others and especially this new 700p. IMO there is not another device that comes close to the 700p. If there was it would already be in my hand

My experience has been with smartphones is that after a few months after a new model comes out, Palm should put out a software upgrade after they get enough feedback from the users on the early inherent bugs . . .

I also have found resets are caused more from third party software apps rather than the device especially using ones that have not been tested on the current model.

From what I read in the forums so many users cram so many apps onto the Treo and wonder why resets start happening. I'm only using about 10M of the 62M available memory and only have about 10 other programs that did not come with the phone.

As with my other phones, the more memory I used up by adding other programs especially non approved ones the more the resets started happening.

Just my opinion from my own experiences since the Kyo 6035 my first smart phone.
    Last edited by Expidia; 09/24/2006 at 04:28 PM.
    Palm III,V>6035>7135>650>700p (on Vzn), PalmBT Treo Hdset>i-Trek BT GPS>TomTom Nav6>755p
    I do a reset each day but as far as a crash, probably haven't had one in well over a month. Generally the only thing that causes a crash on my 700p is if I don't acknowledge a TreoAlarm alarm. Must be a bug in the latest version.
    I've gone as long as 14 days. Last crash I had was 4 days ago when trying to upgrade to the latest version of Chatter.
    Other than a problem with DateBook 6, none in over two months. That problem was corrected two days ago and I can hazard a guess of no more problems.

Ben
    I have went two months without a crash. If a reset every couple of days is suppose to be good, may be I will give it a try just to make sure I stay this way. I have Resco backing me up every 8 hours and it flushes dbcache on exit every time, so maybe I will have it reset for me too. The only problem with my 700 lately is I lose calibration for my touchscreen afterwards when I reset...not major, but a pain.
    Last edited by KStewart; 09/25/2006 at 03:21 AM.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Only when I first got the phone and tried to pair the BT with our BMW, which didn't work.

Dawn
    I get the occasional odd reset - last week, as the phone laid next to me on my desk at work I did a tethered sync and it reset after the sync routine. It was either a hangup, or perhaps some program like Avantgo sent through an update that required a reset. Other than that, I can go a couple of weeks at a time without a crash.
    Take out the problem I had with Datebook 6 that was not really a problem with Datebook 6 and a birthday index problem that was not Datebook 6's error and I am well over two months with no unscheduled resets. I have Resco Backup set to reset at the end of the nightly backup.

Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart View Post
    I have Resco backing me up every 8 hours and it flushes dbcache on exit every time, so maybe I will have it reset for me too. The only problem with my 700 lately is I lose calibration for my touchscreen afterwards when I reset...not major, but a pain.
    Just guessing but this might have something to do with Resco Backup and the flushing of dbcache. It may somehow be wiping out a setting that could be somehow locked or preserved in another way. Sounds like an unusual (and *very* irritating) problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    Just guessing but this might have something to do with Resco Backup and the flushing of dbcache. It may somehow be wiping out a setting that could be somehow locked or preserved in another way. Sounds like an unusual (and *very* irritating) problem.
    Thanks copernicus...I am going to look into that.
    at&t iPhone3G