Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    I've seen a number of threads regarding data plans, I have a naive question...why is Verizon's data plan so much more expensive than the other plans? Sure, I know they are probably 'ripping people off', but it is a competitive marketplace. As long as there is a choice, prices typically are similar. What is going on there?
    Not sure myself, other than they appear to have much better in-network coverage.
    I just switched from Sprint to Verizon because of that. Costing me an extra $30 / month, so not real happy about that. Sprint has areas that your phone doesn't work at all, not even roaming. That is even less acceptable. Was with Sprint for 7+ years, satisfied cpor the most part, but just couldn't live with a 'dead' phone problem.
    RJuhl
    They like to flaunt their network to get you in and then kick you where it hurts for every add-on.

Honestly, with Sprint's new roaming agreement, you can use half of your minutes on VZW, so unless someone has absolutely no Sprint service where they are, I don't understand the VZW customer's motivation.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Verizon is IBM black pinstripe to Sprint's Apple dress casual and Cingular's hip hop Saturday night.
    verizon is about money. they dont care about the end user. all they do is make their employees push data.

they are the most expensive carrier to be with with the fewest choices.

no 7pm cause they want money
    no data cause they want money
    worst selection of phones cause they want money

now if only people would leave them will they ever consider changing

their president made a speech about change and what they were going to do to give you customer satisfaction and worry free. but he has yet to do anything hes opened his big mouth about
    here's what i know based on MY experience:

Verizon works, Sprint (even with all of its roaming) doesn't. Remember, roaming = no data, for now. T-Mobile/Cingular have better coverage in my area than Sprint, better customer service too.

my area? los angeles. ask new yorkers about sprint too, another reason why verizon can do what they do.
    Asking people about which carrier they prefer is like asking someone if blondes are better than brunettes.

In our 100 person organization we have found that Verizon offers better cost certainty - not necessarily the lowest cost user-to-user, but the most predictable and with the (relatively) lowest number of service-related issues (we rarely have users on Verizon calling OUR billing and IT departments with support/service-related issues). Clearly, individual results and performance may vary. We still have users who swear by Cingular, Nextel and Sprint and we have users who switch to Verizon because they are FURIOUS about some support or billing-related issue with another carrier. We rarely have users switch from Verizon to another carrier. Still, its not enough for either our billing or IT departments to suggest that our entire company switch over to a single carrier.
    Your note sums up my experience with each of these carriers. I have been a sprint customer for 7+ years. I also have phones with Verizon, which I got about 7 months ago. Anytime I make a change on a Sprint plan, I have billing issues for months. On Verizon, they get fixed on the first call. In my home, my Verizon phones work flawlessly. Sprint, get almost no signal. I find my coverage in central and northern Ohio far superior with Verizon. Wish Verizon had cheaper data plans.

Quote Originally Posted by Keefer Lucas View Post
    Asking people about which carrier they prefer is like asking someone if blondes are better than brunettes.

In our 100 person organization we have found that Verizon offers better cost certainty - not necessarily the lowest cost user-to-user, but the most predictable and with the (relatively) lowest number of service-related issues (we rarely have users on Verizon calling OUR billing and IT departments with support/service-related issues). Clearly, individual results and performance may vary. We still have users who swear by Cingular, Nextel and Sprint and we have users who switch to Verizon because they are FURIOUS about some support or billing-related issue with another carrier. We rarely have users switch from Verizon to another carrier. Still, its not enough for either our billing or IT departments to suggest that our entire company switch over to a single carrier.
    Everyone here b*****s about Verizon's data cost compared to Sprint (and I wouldn't mind if their service was cheaper also). But to be honest, it isn't that much more than other's. Verizon is $45, Sprint is $15, T-Mobile is $30 (which includes Wifi access but you can't get it without Wifi anymore), and Cingular is $40 (there is a $20 plan but they want you to get the $40 for a PDA). But compared to T-Mobile and Cingular, Verizon is much faster (Cingular is as fast in some markets but not too many at the moment).

But if you plan to add tethering the difference is much less. Verizon is $60, Sprint is $40 or $50 (seems to vary depending on who you ask), Cingular is $60, and T-Mobile doesn't seem to have one that I can see.

But to me it comes down to reliablity and service. In the three months I've been using Verizon I've yet to be in a spot without service and EVDO (I'm sure there are lots of areas that don't but in my local area they have the coverage down fantastic). I've seen lots of places Sprint and T-Mobile didn't work, and lots of places where there Cingular had coverage but most didn't have 3G service. It's that old saying, you what you pay for.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by Keefer Lucas View Post
    Blondes are better than brunettes.
    Verizon is not the most expensive carrier. I was with Alltel from 1995-2005 because I ALWAYS had a signal with them and was willing to pay for it. In my business I HAVE to be able to receive my phone calls (I am 100% support for a website that gets 2.4 million + hits per day - if it's down I need to be reachable plus other clients with servers, etc). When I wanted to take the plunge into data service in May of last year I looked at the different carriers (Alltel didn't have a PDA offering at the time) and found that Verizon and Sprint were both FAR cheaper than Alltel - Spring being the cheapest. I was paying $260/month for my Alltel service (2 phones - no data, 2,000 minutes - nationwide roaming, nationwide long distance, they didn't have any night/weekend minutes on this package). Sprint was going to be $115/month for my usage (1500 any time minutes, data, night & weekend minutes, nationwide roaming/long distance). Verizon was $163/month (1500 any time minutes, data, night & weekend minutes). I was nervous to leave Alltel because there had been many times when I was in areas where I was the only person who had a signal but needed the data service. I got a Sprint phone and lo and behold at my house I had NO SIGNAL. Returned that phone and got a Verizon phone. The only place I haven't had a signal with my Verizon phone was 20 miles from Seney, MI (in the upper peninsula) - we're talking the middle of NOWHERE, Seney has about 3 buildings and I was 20 miles from that. When I'm up in the UP riding dirt bikes I have many several friends on other carriers and none of them have signals in places where I do. An extra $50 a month for that is worth every penny IMO. Keep in mind that my AVERAGE cell phone bill with Alltel over those 10 years was $425/month - I often had $700-800 a month phone bills in the late 90's. I feel like I'm getting away with robbery at $163/month.
    i'd love to go cheaper but the tradeoff isn't worth it. verizon has the best network and if you are a professional who relies on that, there's no switching.
    ~bean

palm IIIxe, tungsten t, tx, and now...a treo 700P
    palm all the way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasmeister View Post
    Blondes are better than brunettes.
    Yeah but have you checked your statement yet? They're an arm and a leg in maintenance costs.

At least we can all be happy we have the luxury of preference.
    As much as I love Sprint and everyone who knows me on these boards knows it...I do admit Verizon has the best coverage and it is worth paying for. It just sucks Verizon is going to bleed everyone until their is a competitor to their network.
    at&t iPhone3G
    they need to offer a unlimited 30.00 plan
    Quote Originally Posted by justleft View Post
    Anytime I make a change on a Sprint plan, I have billing issues for months.
    Amen to that.

The dumbest error on their part will requre a minimum of 2-3 months to fix, and hours on the phone explaining the whole thing over and over.

Plus you may get 'lucky' and get the "bonus" of 'tude from the Sprint representative: "You have a LOT of credits here" - as though them returning money they wrongly-charged your account is supposed to make you wanna toss their salad with gratitude or something...

If you have several phones with them - multiply the time you will spend with them by that number. If you have a math professor handy, conference him/her in on the call, as Sprint's bills are some sort of advanced proprietary number logic that makes brain cells die upon viewing.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by MiRexer View Post
    Verizon is not the most expensive carrier. I was with Alltel from 1995-2005 because I ALWAYS had a signal with them and was willing to pay for it. In my business I HAVE to be able to receive my phone calls (I am 100% support for a website that gets 2.4 million + hits per day - if it's down I need to be reachable plus other clients with servers, etc).
    THESE are the customers that need the Verizon premium. And it seems that the coverage is worth the money for his needs.

But man, I compare Sprint's rates to Verizon's like he is comparing Verizon to Alltel.. In Northern California with the roaming, I'm covered for voice 90-95% of the time. I sacrifice a bit on data while roaming, but I get solid EVDO where I am most of the time.

I get disgusted with Sprint's customer "service," but after dealing with the clowns at HP I *know* it can be worse. Actually, Sprint's people have improved a lot, but their computer system (and human interactions based upon it) is still designed to generate ill-will on nearly every call.

So if you need solid coverage no matter what - Verizon's probably your best bet nationwide. If you want to spend about half of Verizon's fees and still have very good voice/data coverage in most metro areas and along major routes and outlying areas, plus be able to voice-roam in quite a bit of the rest of the country - Sprint may work for you. My attitude is that a Honda will get me nearly anywhere a Cadillac will, and a lot cheaper - I just give up a few frills.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joad View Post
    Amen to that.

The dumbest error on their part will requre a minimum of 2-3 months to fix, and hours on the phone explaining the whole thing over and over.

Plus you may get 'lucky' and get the "bonus" of 'tude from the Sprint representative: "You have a LOT of credits here" - as though them returning money they wrongly-charged your account is supposed to make you wanna toss their salad with gratitude or something...

If you have several phones with them - multiply the time you will spend with them by that number. If you have a math professor handy, conference him/her in on the call, as Sprint's bills are some sort of advanced proprietary number logic that makes brain cells die upon viewing.
    I second that notion. I am afraid to change my plan in fear of this happening. It has happened to me 3 times. You have to watch the pro-rate for one and I had to make sure the changes to the plan took which they didn't. I got overbilled for two cycles due to this.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Sorry, I have to chime in here. I'm on Verizon, but not making any claim that they're better than so-and-so. I may switch, or maybe not. But my point is I'm a little tired of hearing that Verizon (or any other company in any business) is "just in it for the money." Isn't that what business is all about? Is there some for-profit company that isn't in it for the money? Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see anything wrong with that. How good would our phones and service be if wireless services were run by government or non-profit organizations? If you don't like any company's product's price to performance ratio, vote with your feet! (Gee, that sounds very Republican, but I'm not...)
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    I love profits and when a company can make a lot of money, I say great. But I was wondering how they could competitively sell a product that (seemingly) is far away from other vendors. Typically in a duopoly or oligopoly, the prices tend to resemble each other. I am trying to figure out what Verizon is selling and whether it is significantly different from the others...to justify the price differential.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast