Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by haroldo View Post
    I love profits and when a company can make a lot of money, I say great. But I was wondering how they could competitively sell a product that (seemingly) is far away from other vendors. Typically in a duopoly or oligopoly, the prices tend to resemble each other. I am trying to figure out what Verizon is selling and whether it is significantly different from the others...to justify the price differential.
    They are selling their network...look at the commercials with all the people grouped together representing their network. If Sprint could have the same reliable network...we as customers would have more ground, and Verizon would have to start competing price wise, but until then they don't have to.
    at&t iPhone3G
    As far as pricing, not so sure they are THAT MUCH higher than Sprint.

I switched with identical plan features, but have 700 mins vs 300 with Sprint.
    So, the additional 400 mins cost me another $25 (about).

Would have bought fewer minutes if it was available, but wasn't so am satisified with the current plan. The additional coverage is also worth a LOT, as with Sprint, the phone was unusable due to no roaming agreements.

Anyway, I was very happy with Sprint and never had any billing problems, but just had to switch to eliminate the 'dead spots' that made the phone useless, and no data whenever roaming didn't help either.

Still new with Verizon, but for now am a satisfied customer.
    RJuhl
    I don't know if it's typical or not, but when my Kyocera 7135 died after 13 months (i.e. 1 month out of warranty) Verizon replaced it for free. Then the 2nd one died after another 13 months (after the Kyoceras were discontinued) and they gave me a Treo 650 for free. Legally Verizon didn't owe me either replacement, but the fact that they did replace both saved me about $600 or $800. Granted, I would have been very annoyed if they hadn't replaced the first one and maybe would have switched carriers. But I'm not a high-end customer, it takes more than 6 months for Verizon to have $800 billable to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by rjuhl View Post
    As far as pricing, not so sure they are THAT MUCH higher than Sprint.

I switched with identical plan features, but have 700 mins vs 300 with Sprint.
    So, the additional 400 mins cost me another $25 (about).

Would have bought fewer minutes if it was available, but wasn't so am satisified with the current plan. The additional coverage is also worth a LOT, as with Sprint, the phone was unusable due to no roaming agreements.

Anyway, I was very happy with Sprint and never had any billing problems, but just had to switch to eliminate the 'dead spots' that made the phone useless, and no data whenever roaming didn't help either.

Still new with Verizon, but for now am a satisfied customer.
    As far as voice pricing goes the differences are negligable... the main difference is data pricing, and for that matter data pricing on cheaper entry-level plans. For example, if my voice plan is $30 a month and the data plan is $15 on Sprint vs. $40 on Verizon then we are talking $45 a month vs. $70 a month which is a big difference. However, if you're paying $100 for voice, then the price difference between the two is not as much of a big deal anymore.

In my area Sprint coverage has proven very good (better than Cingular IMO) and I'm paying $30 a month for voice and unlimited data (SERO plan). Given all of this stuff I'm willing to endure Sprint's occasional support incompetence for what I'm saving. However, if I was in an area with poorer coverage, or if I was very dependant on my phone for business use, then I'd probably be paying the premium for Verizon. Quite frankly, if your job depends on you being as accessible as much as possible you will happily pay the extra $25 a month and more to know that you are getting the best performance possible.
    I've been with Verizon for quite some time...and I was happy paying a small premium on voice plans due to the coverage and call quality. I was less enthusiastic abotu $45 for a data plan, but I swallowed that pill.

Now, what's beginning to really get on my nerves is crippling of phones and forcing UIs. I purchased a Garmin C550 GPS. It has bluetooth, and when paired with a phone you can use it to dial calls, wireless speaker, etc. But come to find out, it won't work with Verizon's Treo 650 because they crippled the bluetooth. Sprint, Cingular, T-Mobile, etc...all fine. Thankfully, some smart users have worked on ROM tools and extracte the necessary files to add Sprint's Bluetooth files to a Verizon ROM and get it working. But I shouldn't have to go through that just to use something that should work out of the box, if it actually complied with the Bluetooth standard.

I recently upgraded my wife's phone to a Motorola v3m. I was unpleasantly surprised to find that Verizon is now putting their standard user interface on all phones. So regardless of whether you buy a Motorola, LG, Samsung, etc. you get the exact same interface that you cannot customize.

I just want Verizon to offer me a phone the way it was manufactured, not the way they bastardized it.

And that....more than cost....has me looking at Cingular (so I can buy unlocked phones). I'm willing to pay a premium for voice calls, and even for data. But when you start hindering my ability to use the device I want as it came from the manufacturer, I really lose my patience.
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    While I have to agree the price is too high. The service is the best I've ever had. I would love to see lower prices, but I can't complain otherwise.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    noodlelest wet noodler
    I think its difficult to compare prices and plans between business and home users. Our organization - like many others - allows "reasonable" personal use of our cell phones. I buy a new phone when I need one - if there is a discount or some other premium available I take it (naturally) but I am not biting my nails waiting for a contract to run out, or making calls to "retention" to get some kind of break on a premium service. I am not on any "Family Plans". Don't have any "Share Minutes", and I am blissfully unaware of whether I am roaming or not. If it were MY phone, and money coming out of MY pocket I would be more closely attuned to those things but - given my circumstances - Verizon seems to be the best choice for me.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12