Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by jrfaris View Post
    However, I can tell you that I've used my Treo with TTNav5 many times in situations where a standalone nav unit would have been back in the car, in the parking lot.
    Does this mean you bring along the GPS receiver? Can you bring up a map on the Treo without the receiver if you know where you are currently standing?
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post
    Does this mean you bring along the GPS receiver? Can you bring up a map on the Treo without the receiver if you know where you are currently standing?
    Yes to both. The TT bluetooth receiver is small & light. After it locks on, I just drop in it my pocket. Use it all the time while walking, sightseeing. Also, you can browse the map without GPS. It will bring up a location based on address, or just town name. you can also calculate routes to POIs or other addresses. You can then view the route as turn list or images. Of course, without GPS it can't track your movements so you can't get real time turn guidance.
  3.    #43  
    Hey this is great, I am so proud to have started a thread that has stimulated such spirited discourse! The only down side is that now I am even more undecided than before!

So it sounds like some of the bluetooth GPS receivers (e.g. Garmin) can be used in the car and also on foot. That is something that I would like, as I do alot of hiking and like walking around cities that I visit.

With the Garmin, if I receive a phone call, will my blue tooth headset overide the GPS unit?
  4.    #44  
    Just got done looking in the Treo Store. How about the GlobalSat BT 338? Any opinions on that? Or how about the BT359W? Any opinions on that? I am just curious because they are listed as best sellers. I realize that I would also have to purchase the software (e.g. Copilot, TomTom) in addition to the receivers.
    Anyone contemplating purchasing TT6, should read this thread http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=125167
    Unlocked Rogers GSM Treo 650, PalmOS V5.40017, Firmware: 01.71, Software: Treo650-1.20-ENA
    Modded and hacked! Custom ROM - removed RealPlayer, Todo, Tasks, Versamail, Tips, World Clock, Launcher. Added support for FAT32 SD cards.
    Software: PDAbs, Backup.NET, Uninstall Manager, Card Reader, FileZ, Power RUN, DateBk5, DocumentsToGo, HandZipper, Chatter, TakePhone, Technician, Voice Dial, TCPMP, SpashPhoto, Insaniquarium, Memory Master, Sol Free, Palma Sutra
  6.    #46  
    Just read a good review of the Seidio RBT 2010. The author said he used it to replace his Global Sat BT338, but I think the reviewer worked for Seidio, so I would be interested in anyone else who has an opinion
  7.    #47  
    Hi,

Based on some of the responses in my thread requesting opinions on GPS Bundles, I am leaning towards a BT GPS receiver now. I would love to get some opinions on BT GPS receivers such as Seidio RBT 2010, Global Sat BT 338 etc.
    Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    <merged>
    Quote Originally Posted by bob7582 View Post
    So it sounds like some of the bluetooth GPS receivers (e.g. Garmin) can be used in the car and also on foot. That is something that I would like, as I do alot of hiking and like walking around cities that I visit.

With the Garmin, if I receive a phone call, will my blue tooth headset overide the GPS unit?
    The GPS unit will indeed work hiking, but the software might not work so well. In my experience with the Tom Tom 5 software it's pretty much useless in the wilderness.

Also I haven't been able to get a bluetooth headset to pickup while using a bluetooth GPS reciever.
    Quote Originally Posted by latca View Post
    The GPS unit will indeed work hiking, but the software might not work so well. In my experience with the Tom Tom 5 software it's pretty much useless in the wilderness.
    Why? As long as you have a clear view of the sky (i.e. you're not under heavy tree cover or in a deeeep narrrrrrow canyon, you should get signals that any GPS receiver can translate into position. Or do you mean the problem is maps? I didn't see any topographic maps on TomTom's website, but there are other options (e.g. National Geographic Pocket Topo). I'm married to Garmin because I've bought a lot of their maps over the years, but my old Garmin topo maps work fine with the Garmin Que software for Palm. In fact, I keep the whole western US street map and topo map data bases on my SD card, and switch between them as necessary.
  11.    #51  
    Hey Spiveyx,

Thanks for merging the two. The reason I started the seperate thread was because the thread title states "looking for opinions on GPS bundles", but as you can see, I am leaning more towards BT GPS receivers now. I started the new thread because I figured that people who have an opinion on BT GPS receivers might not take the time to check out the thread if they only see "GPS Bundles" in the thread title. Is there any way you can add GPS bundles to this merged thread (e.g. looking for opinions on GPS Bundles/BT GPS receivers...)

Bob
    Just read a good review of the Seidio RBT 2010. The author said he used it to replace his Global Sat BT338, but I think the reviewer worked for Seidio, so I would be interested in anyone else who has an opinion
    Hi Bob

I really think you are missing the bigger picture here.

It does not matter how good your BT receiver is. If the GPS software you are running causes your Treo to constantly crash you will regret spending the money in the first place.

In my opinion if you wait for the new Garmin Mobile XT 10 unit later in the year, or even buy the current Garmin GPS 10 Deluxe unit now, you will be very pleased with the out come
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    I have owned a Treo 600 and now a 650. Having used the Delorme mapping software (Topo/Street/Handheld) for (3-4) years and while there are advantages for business (importation of very large address book contacts), a very large yellow page directory and the topographical software is cool, many of the features are now no longer necessary for me. I used the software with the Delorme Earthmate/Bluetooth which I have been extremely unhappy with the reception.

Popular choice for the Palm seems to be placed with Tomtom and Navman over the last few years. It seems a few players are entering or aggressively trying to capture $$$ in the fast growing smartphone market. I recently installed the PC Microsoft Sreets/Trips and to my dismay, only allowed for the use of Magellan/Garmen GPS units. I liked it for it's ability to give a general location of your PC by IP address (if connected to the internet).

I decided I wanted to get a new GPS unit and recent research and cross compatibility with Google Earth, MS Streets and Trips and Delorme led me to the Garmen Mobile 10. Reading the most recent news releases has me excited about the Garmen Mobile XT 10 +. It comes with both mobile and PC software (you'll want to try to organize your trips, routes and searches on a PC mostly). Previous fuzzy finds and resolution with my existing mapping software, just don't seem to be adequate with the Treo (from my experience). The ultra-sensitive receiver that Garmen is promising (indoor acquisition of signal would be awesome--I currently have challenges in clear skies in the afternoon--nights are better) is what I am interested.

Bottom line for me is I am waiting till November because I want to have something that has the latest maps and best receiver, and a months wait can be worth two years of pleasure navigation.

Consider as well potential international travel and compatibility/maps.
    Last edited by detreoman; 09/28/2006 at 09:53 PM.
  14.    #54  
    ChasT,

I think you are starting to get through my thick skull here, as your point about the crashing is well taken. I did some research on the Garmin website, and I am starting to come around. My question is, what is the difference between the the Garmin GPS Mobile 10 and Garmin Moblile 20? The website says that both will be available in "November 2006." To me, the only difference seems to be that the Mobile 20 comes with a car mount and a charger for your phone. Is this correct?
    ChasT,

I think you are starting to get through my thick skull here, as your point about the crashing is well taken. I did some research on the Garmin website, and I am starting to come around. My question is, what is the difference between the the Garmin GPS Mobile 10 and Garmin Moblile 20? The website says that both will be available in "November 2006." To me, the only difference seems to be that the Mobile 20 comes with a car mount and a charger for your phone. Is this correct?
    Here's my interpretation of the info on Garmin's site:

1. Mobile 10 is the upgraded version of the GPS 10. Comes with Sirf III Bluetooth GPS receiver (better than GPS 10 receiver), Mobile XT software for Palm & PPC (better than Que software), and City Navigator map database (same as what comes with GPS 10).

2. Mobile 20 is a more or less new type of device as far as Garmin is concerned. Comes with a Sirf III GPS + speaker + mic + charger integrated into the car mount for your Treo or other PDA (GPS still communicates with the phone via bluetooth?), Mobile XT software for Palm & PPC, and City Navigator map database. (It's not clear to me how you communicate with the speaker and mic - does it plug into the Treo's headset port? And the phone mount has a 2nd Bluetooth channel to communicate with your Bluetooth headset? But Garmin's site says "Please Note: this phone cannot do hands-free calling and navigation at the same time." I'm confused...)

The main issue is whether you plan to use your GPS primarily in your car, in which case the Mobile 20 is probably a better choice, or if it's important to have a combined car/handheld system, in which case you want the Mobile 10. With the Mobile 10, you just carry your Treo plus a small GPS receiver unit that you can stuff in your pocket.
  16.    #56  
    bobodobo,

Thanks for the clarification, I think I would be more interested in the Mobile 10 so that I can use for car/handheld applications. I guess I will have to wait until November. Is anyone worried that stability achieved using the current Que software will not be the same with the new improved software that will come with the units due out in November 2006?
    bobodobo,

Thanks for the clarification, I think I would be more interested in the Mobile 10 so that I can use for car/handheld applications. I guess I will have to wait until November. Is anyone worried that stability achieved using the current Que software will not be the same with the new improved software that will come with the units due out in November 2006?
    Well unless anyone here is a secret Garmin beta tester I don't think you will get an answer.

However the Pocket PC / Windows Mobile version is on open beta at the moment. If you follow the link below you will find a couple of guys who are testing it. They seem happy, but obviously this still does not say anything about the Palm version.

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/module...wtopic&t=45942
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Of course there is no way to know for sure about the stability of Mobile XT for Palm until it is actually released, but looking at the manual for it, it seems to be very similar to Que but with a more user-friendly interface, especially for beginners, plus a few badly-needed additions (tracks, create routes from any starting point, integration with address book). I get the impression that the underlying "engine" will not change much if at all. Since Que is VERY stable (I don't think I've ever crashed it), my speculation (and keep in mind it's nothing more than speculation) is that Mobile XT will be quite stable also.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123