1.    #1  
    I am in the middle of doing my custom ROM right now and need some help.

I have gotten to the stage where I downloaded my ROM, made a backup of it and now and deleting files.

Based on the filelist.pdf that details which files to delete for versamail:

1. _MMServers_SPCS.cpdb - on my Treo, it does not have this particular file, it has instead _MMServers_CROW.cpdb . Anybody know if this is the equivalent file?

2. These files as identified in filelist.pdf -
    AirSAM.bprc
    AirSAM_enUS.oprc
    AirSAMprv.bprc
    AirSAMprv_enUS.oprc

All these files exist and I deleted them. However I also have these on mine:

AirSAM_deDE.oprc
    AirSAM_esES.oprc
    AirSAM_frFR.oprc
    AirSAM_itIT.oprc
    AirSAMprv_deDE.oprc
    AirSAMprv_esES.oprc
    AirSAMprv_frFR.oprc
    AirSAMprv_itIT.oprc

Should I delete these? They seem similar to the other four Versamail related files.

3. I deleted these two files as identified by filelist.pdf
    BGService.bprc
    BGService_enUS.oprc

However on my device, there are these ones also:
    BGService_deDE.oprc
    BGService_esES.oprc
    BGService_frFR.oprc
    BGService_itIT.oprc

Anyone know these ones? Can I delete them as they also seem related to the first two.

4. Two more files I deleted
    Clock.bprc
    Clock_enUS.oprc

Some more similar ones that are not listed on filelist.pdf
    Clock_deDE.oprc
    Clock_esES.oprc
    Clock_frFR.oprc
    Clock_itIT.oprc

5. Here are some not listed on filelist.pdf that I deleted as they all seem to be related to the launcher app (they just seem to be the various language versions - Dutch, English, French, Italian)

LauncherApp_CROW.cprc
    LauncherApp_CROW_deDE.lprc
    LauncherApp_CROW_enUS.lprc
    LauncherApp_CROW_esES.lprc
    LauncherApp_CROW_frFR.lprc
    LauncherApp_CROW_itIT.lprc
    LauncherApp_deDE.oprc
    LauncherApp_enUS.oprc
    LauncherApp_esES.oprc
    LauncherApp_frFR.oprc
    LauncherApp_itIT.oprc

6. More files not on filelist.pdf that I deleted. These are related to the Memo application.

Memo_deDE.oprc
    Memo_esES.oprc
    Memo_frFR.oprc
    Memo_itIT.oprc

MMConduit_deDE.oprc
    MMConduit_esES.oprc
    MMConduit_frFR.oprc
    MMConduit_itIT.oprc

MMConfigFPI_deDE.oprc
    MMConfigFPI_esES.oprc
    MMConfigFPI_frFR.oprc
    MMConfigFPI_itIT.oprc

MMHtmlPlugin_deDE.oprc
    MMHtmlPlugin_esES.oprc
    MMHtmlPlugin_frFR.oprc
    MMHtmlPlugin_itIT.oprc

MMMailTo_deDE.oprc
    MMMailTo_esES.oprc
    MMMailTo_frFR.oprc
    MMMailTo_itIT.oprc

MMNotify_deDE.oprc
    MMNotify_esES.oprc
    MMNotify_frFR.oprc
    MMNotify_itIT.oprc

MMPhotos_deDE.oprc
    MMPhotos_esES.oprc
    MMPhotos_frFR.oprc
    MMPhotos_itIT.oprc

MMPluginMGR_deDE.oprc
    MMPluginMGR_esES.oprc
    MMPluginMGR_frFR.oprc
    MMPluginMGR_itIT.oprc

MMPRCPlugin_deDE.oprc
    MMPRCPlugin_esES.oprc
    MMPRCPlugin_frFR.oprc
    MMPRCPlugin_itIT.oprc

MMSDCard_deDE.oprc
    MMSDCard_esES.oprc
    MMSDCard_frFR.oprc
    MMSDCard_itIT.oprc

MMSmartAdd_deDE.oprc
    MMSmartAdd_esES.oprc
    MMSmartAdd_frFR.oprc
    MMSmartAdd_itIT.oprc

7. These two files strangely enough are not even on my treo:
    MMSmartAdd.bprc
    MMSmartAdd_enUS.oprc

However there are these ones instead that look similar:
    MMSTransportLib.bprc
    MMSTransportLib_deDE.oprc
    MMSTransportLib_enUS.oprc
    MMSTransportLib_esES.oprc
    MMSTransportLib_frFR.oprc
    MMSTransportLib_itIT.oprc

Anybody know what these are? Can I delete them?

8. I deleted the following which are not listed on filelist.pdf but seem to be related to MMTextPlugin.bprc and MMTextPlugin_enUS.oprc:

MMTextPlugin_deDE.oprc
    MMTextPlugin_esES.oprc
    MMTextPlugin_frFR.oprc
    MMTextPlugin_itIT.oprc

9. I deleted the following which are not listed on filelist.pdf but seem to be related to MMUnzipPlugin.bprc and MMUnzipPlugin_enUS.oprc:

MMUnzipPlugin_deDE.oprc
    MMUnzipPlugin_esES.oprc
    MMUnzipPlugin_frFR.oprc
    MMUnzipPlugin_itIT.oprc

10. I deleted the following which are not listed on filelist.pdf but seem to be related to MMVCal.bprc and MMVCal_enUS.oprc:

MMVCal_deDE.oprc
    MMVCal_esES.oprc
    MMVCal_frFR.oprc
    MMVCal_itIT.oprc

11. I deleted the following which are not listed on filelist.pdf but seem to be related to MMVCardPlugin.bprc and MMVCardPlugin_enUS.oprc:

MMVCardPlugin_deDE.oprc
    MMVCardPlugin_esES.oprc
    MMVCardPlugin_frFR.oprc
    MMVCardPlugin_itIT.oprc

12. I deleted the following which are not listed on filelist.pdf but seem to be related to MMWave.bprc and MMWave_enUS.oprc:

MMWave_deDE.oprc
    MMWave_esES.oprc
    MMWave_frFR.oprc
    MMWave_itIT.oprc

13. I deleted the following which are not listed on filelist.pdf but seem to be related to MMWizard.bprc and MMWizard_enUS.oprc:

MMWizard_deDE.oprc
    MMWizard_esES.oprc
    MMWizard_frFR.oprc
    MMWizard_itIT.oprc

14. I deleted the following which are not listed on filelist.pdf but seem to be related to MMWordPlugin.bprc and MMWordPlugin_enUS.oprc:

MMWordPlugin_deDE.oprc
    MMWordPlugin_esES.oprc
    MMWordPlugin_frFR.oprc
    MMWordPlugin_itIT.oprc

15. I deleted the following which are not listed on filelist.pdf but seem to be related to MultiMail.bprc and MultiMail_enUS.oprc:

MultiMail_deDE.oprc
    MultiMail_esES.oprc
    MultiMail_frFR.oprc
    MultiMail_itIT.oprc

16. I deleted the following which are not listed on filelist.pdf but seem to be related to PalmVMFontLibrary.bprc and PalmVMFontLibrary_enUS.oprc:

PalmVMFontLibrary_deDE.oprc
    PalmVMFontLibrary_esES.oprc
    PalmVMFontLibrary_frFR.oprc
    PalmVMFontLibrary_itIT.oprc

17. I deleted the following which are not listed on filelist.pdf but seem to be related to RealPlay.bprc and RealPlay_enUS.oprc:

RealPlay_deDE.oprc
    RealPlay_esES.oprc
    RealPlay_frFR.oprc
    RealPlay_itIT.oprc

18. I deleted the following which are not listed on filelist.pdf but seem to be related to SAMgr.bprc and SAMgr_enUS.oprc:

SAMgr_deDE.oprc
    SAMgr_esES.oprc
    SAMgr_frFR.oprc
    SAMgr_itIT.oprc

19. I deleted the following which are not listed on filelist.pdf but seem to be related to ScientificCalc.bprc and ScientificCalc_enUS.oprc:

ScientificCalc_deDE.oprc
    ScientificCalc_esES.oprc
    ScientificCalc_frFR.oprc
    ScientificCalc_itIT.oprc

20. I deleted the following which are not listed on filelist.pdf but seem to be related to ToDo.bprc and ToDo_enUS.oprc:

ToDo_deDE.oprc
    ToDo_esES.oprc
    ToDo_frFR.oprc
    ToDo_itIT.oprc

Here is the original space taken up by my original ROM:
    http://www.prudensconsulting.com/yah...fore_space.jpg

Here is the space now taken up by deleting the files listed above - a space savings of about 4 MB (uncompressed ofcourse):
    http://www.prudensconsulting.com/yah...fter_space.jpg

And here is the screen shot from the ROMTool after uploading the custom ROM.
    http://www.prudensconsulting.com/yah...sted_space.jpg

Anything I can do about the "wasted space" to make my Treo even faster?

I uploaded the custom ROM and my phone booted up just fine!!!!

Thanks to everyone for all the great articles and write-ups!!!
    Unlocked Rogers GSM Treo 650, PalmOS V5.40017, Firmware: 01.71, Software: Treo650-1.20-ENA
    Modded and hacked! Custom ROM - removed RealPlayer, Todo, Tasks, Versamail, Tips, World Clock, Launcher. Added support for FAT32 SD cards.
    Software: PDAbs, Backup.NET, Uninstall Manager, Card Reader, FileZ, Power RUN, DateBk5, DocumentsToGo, HandZipper, Chatter, TakePhone, Technician, Voice Dial, TCPMP, SpashPhoto, Insaniquarium, Memory Master, Sol Free, Palma Sutra
    You have unbranded firmware on your GSM device, but the filelist was created for Sprint devices. That's why there are discrepancies(sp?) between your device and the filelist. It is perfectly safe to use the filelist as a guideline. As long as the prefix is the same, and the filelist says it's alright to delete, you will be all set. DO NOT DELETE THE MMS FILES. These are for MultiMedia Messaging and NOT MultiMail. If the Treo boots as of now, you should be okay with everything else. The wasted space is calculated by the function (oversimplifying here): (ROM_ALLOC)-(CUST_ROM_SIZE). The ROM partition is allocated by the updater software, it cannot be changed. However, in the end you get more DBCache, which was one of the primary reasons for building custom ROMs. You might want to take some time to go through and check the phone functions to your liking, as I mentioned, when you removed MMS* files you took away the ability for the device to send or recieve MMS. There are a lot of guides around for custom ROMs on GSM devices, maybe those would be of interest to you as well...

3.    #3  
    Thanks Frozencode for the clarification on MMS* files.

1. I guess I should redo this and put these back?

MMSDCard_deDE.oprc
    MMSDCard_esES.oprc
    MMSDCard_frFR.oprc
    MMSDCard_itIT.oprc

MMSmartAdd_deDE.oprc
    MMSmartAdd_esES.oprc
    MMSmartAdd_frFR.oprc
    MMSmartAdd_itIT.oprc

2. Any idea what these files are for:
    MMSTransportLib.bprc
    MMSTransportLib_deDE.oprc
    MMSTransportLib_enUS.oprc
    MMSTransportLib_esES.oprc
    MMSTransportLib_frFR.oprc
    MMSTransportLib_itIT.oprc
    Unlocked Rogers GSM Treo 650, PalmOS V5.40017, Firmware: 01.71, Software: Treo650-1.20-ENA
    Modded and hacked! Custom ROM - removed RealPlayer, Todo, Tasks, Versamail, Tips, World Clock, Launcher. Added support for FAT32 SD cards.
    Software: PDAbs, Backup.NET, Uninstall Manager, Card Reader, FileZ, Power RUN, DateBk5, DocumentsToGo, HandZipper, Chatter, TakePhone, Technician, Voice Dial, TCPMP, SpashPhoto, Insaniquarium, Memory Master, Sol Free, Palma Sutra
    Assuming you only want English files, enUS, you can delete the others.

i.e.

deDE - German
    esES - Spanish
    frFR - French
    itIT - Italian

There are a couple of these you need to leave to allow for the correct Carrier DB, but you can find this info in the NEW ROM Tool thread

Checkout :
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=110386
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Oops, I should have been more clear. When I said MMS* I should have included the 'T'... I meant MMST* minus non-english language overlays. MMSDCard is associated with MultiMail (particularly the part which handles SDIO comms) and can be deleted.

In addition to ChasT's post, it might be useful to know some of the lower level components require two languages. Search for Custom ROM, there are a couple of well documented guidelines in creating custom ROMs for GSM devices.

6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT View Post
    Assuming you only want English files, enUS, you can delete the others.

i.e.

deDE - German
    esES - Spanish
    frFR - French
    itIT - Italian

There are a couple of these you need to leave to allow for the correct Carrier DB, but you can find this info in the NEW ROM Tool thread

Checkout :
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=110386
    Hi ChasT, I looked at the thread you linked above but can't find the files I need to keep for "correct Carrier DB" (what is DB anyway?). Do you happen to know which ones those are?

I want to clean up my ROM of those unnecessary lang files tonight if possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverGS View Post
    Hi ChasT, I looked at the thread you linked above but can't find the files I need to keep for "correct Carrier DB" (what is DB anyway?). Do you happen to know which ones those are?

I want to clean up my ROM of those unnecessary lang files tonight if possible.
    Hi SilverGS
    Hang in there, it's worth doing the custom ROM

OK, post#2 is the one to read. It tells you what to remove and what to leave.
    Quote :
    "Files to trigger Lang. Selection:
    LocsLib_deDE.oprc
    SetupApp_deDE.oprc
    SplashscreenColor-2X_deDE.oprc
    System_deDE.oprc
    IIDataLib_deDE.oprc
    LatinLocModule-2X_deDE.oprc
    LocalLib_deDE.oprc"

In other words, leave the above _deDE files so that correct ccDB is installed. Don't worry what it means, I'm not really that sure myself

BTW is the GS in your name a BMW, if so is it a 1150 or 1200

Chas
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT View Post
    Hi SilverGS
    Hang in there, it's worth doing the custom ROM

OK, post#2 is the one to read. It tells you what to remove and what to leave.
    Quote :
    "Files to trigger Lang. Selection:
    LocsLib_deDE.oprc
    SetupApp_deDE.oprc
    SplashscreenColor-2X_deDE.oprc
    System_deDE.oprc
    IIDataLib_deDE.oprc
    LatinLocModule-2X_deDE.oprc
    LocalLib_deDE.oprc"

In other words, leave the above _deDE files so that correct ccDB is installed. Don't worry what it means, I'm not really that sure myself

BTW is the GS in your name a BMW, if so is it a 1150 or 1200

Chas
    Thanks Chas! It is very much appreciated!

I will clean up my ROM tonight! I had already deleted a whole bunch of files for RealPlayer, Calculator, ToDo, Tasks, World Clock, Tips etc and now I can delete the rest of the language files for all programs.

Thanks again!!

The GS in my name is actually my car - a 1999 Lexus GS400. It is heavily hacked and modded ofcourse! Pics and details here if you like boring Lexus cars http://www.sounddomain.com/ride/529634 . Mine is no longer boring though.
  9.    #9  
    I attempted my second ROM customization last night by removing all the language files other than the ones chasT mentioned above and I bricked my phone.

I had to redo the ROM back to my first custom ROM and was able to get my phone working.

I would really like to delete all the language files - Dutch, Spanish, Italian and French, but cannot imagine having to delete them one by and and updating the ROM to figure out which bricked my phone. That would mean having to update the ROM at least 300 times as there are at least 300 language files....