Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Even with a VGA camera and no bluetooth I think it will sell well. No, not to gadget junkies and power users, but there are a significant number of folks who just need a basic phone but would love to have the latest "bling" accessory: a Treo. With this they can afford the look, even if it means losing the features that make the Treo so good in the first place. Form over function can sell, especially when the real thing is so hot.
    It still needs BT. Even the fashion phones have BT.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    It's supposed to have 64MB RAM too.

So if it's a 650 with doubled RAM, no IR, no antenna and a cheaper battery I might bite if it does not have any other shortcomings compared to the 650. Since my 650 is getting old.

But they should not make the screen cheaper/darker or the camera worse with cheaper optics/chips or any other cheapo tricks.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    It still needs BT. Even the fashion phones have BT.
    With what goodies it does have, it might have made it hard to come up with a price that is supposed to be "lower cost" and it better be a pretty good price with the lackings. I wouldn't be interested, but it may be an excuse for a way to get my wife into a Treo.
    at&t iPhone3G
    It has bluetooth but looks like it has no camera
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by esatyawan View Post
    ...but looks like it has no camera
    Everything I've read says it has a VGA camera
    I know this is superficial, but as a future 750 owner, I'm a little disappointed that besides the coloring, the 750 and 680, it seems, look identical. It will be a little sad for me to plunk down $500 or so for the latest state-of-the-art smartphone, and then have teenagers running around with a contract-freebie that looks just like it. It would be like buying a brand new Rolls-Royce, only to find out that Hyundai has just released a model that, from the outside, looks identical.

This won't stop me from buying a 750, but I admit, it bugs me.
    And Silly Season goes on (and on and on and..........).

Perry where are you?

Imagine arguing over the features of a phone that no one has announced and no one wants. If one can buy a new 650 with EDGE and BT on eBay for $260-, how cheap would something like this have to be to sell, much less succeed. It would be a sad thing if Palm were to divert resource from what its customers want to something that no one wants. IBM use to call this strategy "eating your children."
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDs10e View Post
    I know this is superficial, but as a future 750 owner, I'm a little disappointed that besides the coloring, the 750 and 680, it seems, look identical. It will be a little sad for me to plunk down $500 or so for the latest state-of-the-art smartphone, and then have teenagers running around with a contract-freebie that looks just like it. It would be like buying a brand new Rolls-Royce, only to find out that Hyundai has just released a model that, from the outside, looks identical.

This won't stop me from buying a 750, but I admit, it bugs me.
    agreed...besides trying to steal more money from its customers, what is the reason for the 680? it makes no sense
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    It can be assumed that the development costs of a new model are much more expensive than a BT chip.

I would expect to see a 650 which participates from the development efforts of the 750 (no antenna) which reappears as 680 and replaces the 650. Remember, the 650 cannot be imported to the EU due to the regulations of the day.

BTW, This is how other mobile phone manufacturers create their entry line models: Just take the two year old top liner put it in a new case and give it a tha latest os/firmware version - voila.

I assume you can count on BT but not on Wifi or EVDO/UMTS. More memory is likely but I would not count on that.

Unfortunately there is still no UMTS phone generally available for europe. This is what hurts most. Palm, please give me a UMTS and Exchante OTA Sync phone soon which doesn't require me to switch over to Vodafine.
    Quote Originally Posted by DerNik View Post
    ...................BTW, This is how other mobile phone manufacturers create their entry line models: Just take the two year old top liner put it in a new case and give it a tha latest os/firmware version - voila.
    But why cripple it? Why not just reprice the 650?
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    But why cripple it? Why not just reprice the 650?
    It's got a model number higher than 650! That's how they sucker in the new customers!

In all seriousness 650 need more memory.

I am sure they will keep the crappy multi-connector. :/
    This modle will surely flop, maybe then palm will stopp making this type of craps.
    Responding to a number of posts...

I continue seeing posts from Treo users about how dumb Palm is for producing a new phone that is unappealing to them. It would actually be dumb to produce only phones that appeal to current Treo users. Palm's strategy is to create new phones to sell to people other than you.

As with the 700w, this is about expanding their market. The entire mobile phone market is huge and diverse, and Palm currently sells to a tiny sliver of that population. They like to say that eventually, everyone will want email on their phones.

The point of the 700w was to appeal to the millions of people who don't want to buy a PalmOS phone, but still like the Treo form factor. And the point of a low-end phone is to appeal to the millions of people who cannot afford a Treo 700, but still like the Treo. Note that a pyramid is larger on the bottom than on the top. It's a smart move.

While I don't know the composition of the 680, they talked a year ago about producing cheaper phones by using multi-function chips that consume less power. That is, they would replace two or three chips with just one. I assume that they're following through on that approach. They're not calling it a 650 because they're changing the hardware.

They also talked about how with carrier subsidies, low-end smartphones can eventually be offered free to consumers. Again, I don't know if the 680 achieves that vision, or only goes part way. We'll see.
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    Responding to a number of posts...

I continue seeing posts from Treo users about how dumb Palm is for producing a new phone that is unappealing to them. It would actually be dumb to produce only phones that appeal to current Treo users. Palm's strategy is to create new phones to sell to people other than you.

As with the 700w, this is about expanding their market. The entire mobile phone market is huge and diverse, and Palm currently sells to a tiny sliver of that population. They like to say that eventually, everyone will want email on their phones.

The point of the 700w was to appeal to the millions of people who don't want to buy a PalmOS phone, but still like the Treo form factor. And the point of a low-end phone is to appeal to the millions of people who cannot afford a Treo 700, but still like the Treo. Note that a pyramid is larger on the bottom than on the top. It's a smart move.

While I don't know the composition of the 680, they talked a year ago about producing cheaper phones by using multi-function chips that consume less power. That is, they would replace two or three chips with just one. I assume that they're following through on that approach. They're not calling it a 650 because they're changing the hardware.

They also talked about how with carrier subsidies, low-end smartphones can eventually be offered free to consumers. Again, I don't know if the 680 achieves that vision, or only goes part way. We'll see.
    You effectively refuted the classic TC argument, which is "If I don't want it, Palm shouldn't make it."

I don't have any particular problem with Palm recycling and repackaging the 650 and aiming it at a different market. It's still a good device and new users are still buying it. They can probably squeeze a bit more revenue out of it.

But I still want my unlocked GSM 750, please. Ten minutes ago was too late.
    Wait, why did you dump Bullwinkle?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    It's got a model number higher than 650! That's how they sucker in the new customers!

In all seriousness 650 need more memory.

I am sure they will keep the crappy multi-connector. :/
    so the truth is leaking out...i was beginning to wonder why the average treocentral member would want to 'upgrade' to a 680?
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    I am a power user. I live off my treo 650. its with me morning noon and night.

This supposed 680...actually its a major dissappointment. I believe the old Palm OS is still better for this kind of device than WM. most of all there is still no screen clearer than the 650's screen. but why not put a better camera and 3G like the 750? or something else special. I have been waiting for this device but feel like I have nowhere to go now. I mean, what's the point of upgrading from the 650? one day this 650's gonna end.
    PalmOS is obsolete. It can not support HSDPA (Cingular 3G) therefore it's days are numbered unfortunately. Sure it can continue to support EV-DO, but HSDPA is the worldwide standard and without the world market, PalmOS will continue to lose support until no one wants it anymore. That is unless Palm can somehow make it work soon.
    Weather I like it or not, I'm forced to go to WM. I'm sure I'll learn to like it, not to mention be able to use all of the cool programs that it can run.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh View Post
    PalmOS is obsolete. It can not support HSDPA (Cingular 3G) therefore it's days are numbered unfortunately. Sure it can continue to support EV-DO, but HSDPA is the worldwide standard and without the world market, PalmOS will continue to lose support until no one wants it anymore. That is unless Palm can somehow make it work soon.
    Weather I like it or not, I'm forced to go to WM. I'm sure I'll learn to like it, not to mention be able to use all of the cool programs that it can run.

POS has one issue - HSDPA support (at a time when 3G coverage is non-existent outside major cities). WM has several (harder to use, crappy screen res, forces you to use outlook, etc). So why buy a WM device now because WM may be better sometime in the future?

POS will be obsolete if mutli-tasking isn't sorted by the time 3G data access is widely available, but guess what - that's the plan!
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast