Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Rumor has it that Palm will soon be introducing a low cost Treo called the 680. It will run Palm and have a VGA camera. No stub antenna and 64mb memory.

No Wifi, no infared (anyone still use that?) and no bluetooth.

Something to keep in mind as you troll ebay trying to replace your broken 650...
    Factory unlocked/unbranded GSM 650 - Tmobile; FW: 1.71; SW: 1.20-ENA; Carrier DB: 255; HW: A

If I'm repeating what someone has already said look at how long the thread is and ask yourself if you really expect me to read the whole thing.
    Having no bluetooth would kill the deal for me at least. This means no GPS and wirelss headset.

Hopefully Palm will add those essentials with the new release.
    This is the first ive heard of no bluetooth. Have you got a link to who is saying that?

Surur
    No bluetooth would be fscktarded. IR, who cares..
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    No bluetooth would be fscktarded. IR, who cares..

like he said
    No the pics leaked somewhere showed a Bluetooth icon in the launcher.
    Palm is not stupid, they know BlueTooth is way more important than IR and that is the reason why they are taking it out. The roumor spreaded is just that a roumor.

Al
    No bluetooth on the next true would be the rough equivalent of Apple moving from the Synaptic touch chips in their iPod to a mechanical implementation (3G -> 4G), it would be a step backwards.

Quote Originally Posted by christine View Post
    No the pics leaked somewhere showed a Bluetooth icon in the launcher.
    That is becasue they use the same POS print for every phone that supports Palm OS, so the screen shot holds no ground. That is not a real screen in those pictures as the same with WM5 when in the W or the WX...all the same photoshop job. You would think they would think of that if an option was lacking.
    at&t iPhone3G
    no bluetooth or ir would be a pain. one or the other would be fine, but not having both means no data sharing and no external keyboard.
    visor deluxe->clie n760->treo 300->treo 600->treo 650 -> treo 700p -> treo 755p
    I am wondering if the price will promisingly reflect the lacking?
    at&t iPhone3G
    At this point in time IR should be remove from all future Treo to save space and cost. However, BlueTooth is the present and the future so don't mess with it.

Al
    I rarely use IR.
    at&t iPhone3G
    IR might be important to some. I never thought I'd use it, but I have a few times. Once to transfer files to a 700p (not sure why we didn't use BT, probably just trying out IR). Another time was to get the pics off of a friend's Nokia. Suprisingly, she had IR and we transferred like that.

I did it another time, recently, but forgot why I was using it.
    I use the ir more now as more and more people are getting treos. I pass contacts, calanders and my students some times beam me homework
    visor deluxe->clie n760->treo 300->treo 600->treo 650 -> treo 700p -> treo 755p
    460 Posts
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    Dang it now the Rat Shack guy was right about a 680 coming out i just blew him off since they never really know whats going on in the real world but i guess hes correct . why all the panic over bluetooth being removed seems like palm figures since they cant give a treo a decent bluetooth stack why not just remove it totally

More importantly maybe it will have a better blazer that can work on sprint with a custom rom. of course since they cant make a good blazer maybe they will remove that too????

ok im all done having fun now guess time will tell
    I use IR all the time to do program updates at home while my cradle is at work. Most laptops have built-in IR but few have bluetooth and those USB bluetooth dongles are a pain in the ****, IMO.

That said, I understand that IR has to die sometime. If built-in bluetooth was common, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

What I don't understand, from a cost-savings standpoint, is why the camera is VGA. What would be the incremental cost of the same camera as is found in a 700? It's got to be about a dollar or two, no?

Too bad that us GSM/PalmOS folks are only going to get the watered down model.
    Bluetooth dongles are a pain.. Yep. Plug it in. Wait a few seconds. Pair.
  19.    #19  
    It seems they are trying to make something low cost. This would explain eliminating bluetooth. They dont need to compete with the 700 line. My guess is that they are looking to release something at the sub 200 price point. They dont want to deter people from their 700 line sales, but rather attract new customers who would otherwise get a more basic phone. I think that a Palm based Treo at a 199 or 149 price point would probably sell quite well and not detract from 700 series sales.

This clearly is not directed at "power users."
    Factory unlocked/unbranded GSM 650 - Tmobile; FW: 1.71; SW: 1.20-ENA; Carrier DB: 255; HW: A

If I'm repeating what someone has already said look at how long the thread is and ask yourself if you really expect me to read the whole thing.
  20.    #20  
    By the way, I'm really not sure why this was moved by the mods from the 650 hardware forum. It is discussing an upgrade to the 650 hardware.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast