1.    #1  
    I would like to hard reset and start fresh but then synch to my laptop and ONLY redownload my contacts and calendar.

The problem is that I hard reset, it wipes everything clean but when I synch to my username in my laptop it downloads all the old programs that I didn't want back on my Treo to begin with.

Can someone please suggest a fix?

Thanks in advance.
    Set the sync to "desktop overwrites device" for the items you want to install to the device, that would be the calendar and contacts. If you leave it to "sync files," crap can happen and did once with me. If you leave it to "device overwrites desktop," crap will happen.

I am also a believer in the "crap happens" thing and would suggest copying those particular files to another folder. Crap does happen.

Ben
    You should rename your backup folder, Hard reset then sync - only your PIM data should reload to your Treo. Search on "Clean Install".
  4.    #4  
    Thank's for the links to the clean install!! I will do it.

Can someone step by step walk me through how to accomplish a clean install considering the following scenario?

I currently synch to my laptop PC from home only when I am VPN'd with my work. Outlook doesn't come up unless I'm connected. It synchs my calender and my contacts perfectly.

What I would like to do is a clean install, resynch just my calender and contacts, and then synch that to my DESKTOP PC which is NOT VPN'd with my work. What I am not sure of how to do is Synch from my treo to a unused copy of Outlook on my personal PC.

I am trying to get my contacts and my calender onto the outlook on my desktop JUST IN CASE I should ever leave my job. I want my contacts all to be saved on more then just my work PC.

Can anyone walk me through how to do that?
    Since both the Contacts and Calendar entries you want to keep are in Outlook (VPN'd) and you want to get them to the normal (Un-VPN'd) Outlook. Why not use export both the Contacts and Calendar from the remote Oulook to a prt file and then import the data to the local.
    Looking for a way to earn additional income? One that allows you to not only market services people use everyday, but the services of the future too? This opportunity provides outstanding earning potential with ongoing training and support. You are in business for yourself but never by yourself. Stop imagining and start living.

Independent Representative
    Carl Brooks
    carl@techloyal.com
    http://www.techloyal.com
    If I understand correctly, you want to wipe everything off your 650, and then sync and have only calender and contacts on it, not caring about the old programs. Is that correct?

look for a folder in your palm directory with your username then called backup - for example C:\Program_Files\User_Name\Backup. This is where all of your programs and databases are stored.

Rename it to backup2.

Hard reset your device and sync. It will then only sync contacts, calendar, memos and todo and create a new folder called backup. You can set memos and todo in the hotync conduit to handheld overwrites desktop and you should be all set. You will have a Treo with only your previous contacts and calendar on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by albertb View Post
    If I understand correctly, you want to wipe everything off your 650, and then sync and have only calender and contacts on it, not caring about the old programs. Is that correct?

look for a folder in your palm directory with your username then called backup - for example C:\Program_Files\User_Name\Backup. This is where all of your programs and databases are stored.

Rename it to backup2.

Hard reset your device and sync. It will then only sync contacts, calendar, memos and todo and create a new folder called backup. You can set memos and todo in the hotync conduit to handheld overwrites desktop and you should be all set. You will have a Treo with only your previous contacts and calendar on it.
    Question for you albertb, I want to do the exact same thing as treocert2 (the person who started this thread), however I have modified my ROM and deleted the launcher and installed LauncherX.

When I do what you are suggesting, do you know if my Treo will come back up? I mean a Launcher will not exist on it anymore.

I would love to do a HARD reset and expunge my Treo of unnecessary files after downloading so much trail software and deleting them, but am concerned I will brick my phone without a launcher after the Hard reset.

I am just hoping that after the hard reset I can just install the launcher via hotsync and hope that it works fine.
    Unlocked Rogers GSM Treo 650, PalmOS V5.40017, Firmware: 01.71, Software: Treo650-1.20-ENA
    Modded and hacked! Custom ROM - removed RealPlayer, Todo, Tasks, Versamail, Tips, World Clock, Launcher. Added support for FAT32 SD cards.
    Software: PDAbs, Backup.NET, Uninstall Manager, Card Reader, FileZ, Power RUN, DateBk5, DocumentsToGo, HandZipper, Chatter, TakePhone, Technician, Voice Dial, TCPMP, SpashPhoto, Insaniquarium, Memory Master, Sol Free, Palma Sutra
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverGS View Post
    Question for you albertb, I want to do the exact same thing as treocert2 (the person who started this thread), however I have modified my ROM and deleted the launcher and installed LauncherX.

When I do what you are suggesting, do you know if my Treo will come back up? I mean a Launcher will not exist on it anymore.

I would love to do a HARD reset and expunge my Treo of unnecessary files after downloading so much trail software and deleting them, but am concerned I will brick my phone without a launcher after the Hard reset.

I am just hoping that after the hard reset I can just install the launcher via hotsync and hope that it works fine.
    When you made the custom ROM, did you put the new Launcher into the ROM? If that is the case, then you should be fine. A hard reset will not delete anything in ROM, only a ROM tool will do that. Please make sure I'm understanding you correctly before hard resetting, but it seems to me if you did it in the first place, you can do it now meaning when you deleted the original launcher, you must have put this one on at the same time or there would have been a period where you had no launcher.
    Quote Originally Posted by albertb View Post
    When you made the custom ROM, did you put the new Launcher into the ROM? If that is the case, then you should be fine. A hard reset will not delete anything in ROM, only a ROM tool will do that. Please make sure I'm understanding you correctly before hard resetting, but it seems to me if you did it in the first place, you can do it now meaning when you deleted the original launcher, you must have put this one on at the same time or there would have been a period where you had no launcher.
    No, before I modded my ROM and before I deleted anything from the ROM, I installed the second launcher in RAM.

I then modified the ROM and deleted the default launcher, but deliberately did not put the new launcher into the ROM so that I had maximum space in the ROM.

Now I want to do a hard reset and delete everything from RAM and start afresh.
    Unlocked Rogers GSM Treo 650, PalmOS V5.40017, Firmware: 01.71, Software: Treo650-1.20-ENA
    Modded and hacked! Custom ROM - removed RealPlayer, Todo, Tasks, Versamail, Tips, World Clock, Launcher. Added support for FAT32 SD cards.
    Software: PDAbs, Backup.NET, Uninstall Manager, Card Reader, FileZ, Power RUN, DateBk5, DocumentsToGo, HandZipper, Chatter, TakePhone, Technician, Voice Dial, TCPMP, SpashPhoto, Insaniquarium, Memory Master, Sol Free, Palma Sutra
    Can someone more experienced than me please chime in here....
    You can't do it this way, if you don't have a launcher (which will be the case when you hard reset) you will have major issues.
    Please don't take this the wrong way.. but
    1. it was not wise to mess around with custom ROM if you are so new to the Treo.
    2. it was pretty boneheaded not to include any Launcher in the ROM.

The traditional way of starting clean and have the PIM data is to rename the Backup folder on the PC and do a hard reset+sync. You won't have a launcher at that state. Why not install LauncherX right away using QuickInstall?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad View Post
    Please don't take this the wrong way.. but
    1. it was not wise to mess around with custom ROM if you are so new to the Treo.
    2. it was pretty boneheaded not to include any Launcher in the ROM.
    Don't worry I have not taken it the wrong way.

Even though I am new to the Treo, it took a lot of bravery and perhaps a dose of stupidity to mod the ROM, however my phone is more stable and has reset itself only once so far. Not too bad for a newbie.

I am not so sure it was boneheaded to not include a launcher in ROM. If you read discussions by the experts here such as the developer of the ROM tool, he specifically advises to not include anything in ROM that you don't absolutely need to. Perhaps the launcher is an exception to that advice, however what has been done has been done. I don't like to live in the past, I want to move on and calling my actions boneheaded does not really help me to move on.

Keep in mind that I can easily put it in ROM by updating the ROM again. I am confident I can mod the ROM again anyway.

So perhaps a better way to do expunge my Treo of old stuff would be to first add LauncherX in ROM and then do a hard reset and sync up the PIM data.
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverGS View Post
    So perhaps a better way to do expunge my Treo of old stuff would be to first add LauncherX in ROM and then do a hard reset and sync up the PIM data.

I think that might be the best way. You should be careful in general though, since any program can cause a reset loop where you have to hard reset due to conflict. It's not typical, but has happened to many people. If you don't have a launcher at that point, you will be SOL.

Try the launcher in the ROM, and check out the custom rom thread again for discussion on what launchers work well in ROM as a referesher, if you haven't already.
    out of the box & wothout 3rd party software involved, do the enema... hehehe...

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=120401
    Quote Originally Posted by benn_monyo View Post
    out of the box & wothout 3rd party software involved, do the enema... hehehe...

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=120401
    Before I can do this I have to figure out which files are the LauncherX files so that I can put those in ROM first. I sent an email to support at launcherx. Waiting for a response from them first.