1.    #1  
    Has anyone had success in setting up their DUN via Bluetooth successfully on their VERIZON PALM 700p?

PalmOne.com has a step-by-step protocol listed on their website via KNOWLEDGE BASE LIBRARY Article #42765, at http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/W...Case=obj(42765)

I also phoned VERIZON and added the special DUN ($15/mo.) package to my Broadband Account. They made sure that my phone was set up OKay and package sent to it.

However, after successfully and carefully reading instructions, I still received a "modem error message."

I'm trying to sink my Macintosh Titanium PowerBook. OS X4.7 w/D-Link DBT-120 USB Bluetooth.

Any help would be appreciated.

--Josh
    I have done it, it works fine. That article is OK but needs a few changes for Verizon:

1.) Use the "Verizon Support (PC 5220)" modem script instead of the Sprint one.
    2.) In the network preferences the phone number is #777, username is (your phone number here)@vzw3g.com, password is "vzw".
    3.) Under the network bluetooth preference, click the PPP Options button and uncheck "Send PPP echo packets".

Good luck!
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  3.    #3  
    [QUOTE=bcaslis;1090124]I have done it, it works fine. That article is OK but needs a few changes for Verizon:

1.) Use the "Verizon Support (PC 5220)" modem script instead of the Sprint one.
    2.) In the network preferences the phone number is #777, username is (your phone number here)@vzw3g.com, password is "vzw".
    3.) Under the network bluetooth preference, click the PPP Options button and uncheck "Send PPP echo packets".
    ++++++++++++++++

Are the above sets INPUTTED in BLUETOOTH SetUp Assistant or Preferences OR, is the PPP setup on the 700p "prefs" ---> the phone itself.

If you don't mind, I'd appreciate a phone call: 619-952-0583

THANKS,
    --Josh Rosado
  4.    #4  
    It is not necessary to call. All settings are in the BLUETOOTH Preferences Setup. I'd left the ethernet cable in while setting up.....guess what the setup did not complete it's cycle since the ethernet cable automatically was identified by OS X4.7 as the primary internet setup. So when I removed the cable and depended on the Bluetooth D-Link, presto.....it setup correctly.

IT's Working! Way cool !!! AWESOME !!!

--Josh

P.S. Message reply sent via Bluetooth DUN connection.
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    I use a different modem script for VZW. Try this one...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    noodlelest wet noodler
    This is all well-and-good for Macintosh computers... but what about PCs?

I have no idea how to get my DUN over Bluetooth working on my PC. I HATE Verizon's app and would gladly ditch it.

Gregory
    Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    I use a different modem script for VZW. Try this one...
    Which Folder should I drop into, to install it? I am on Mac OS 10.4.8, Powerbook 17 - all current updates... Reinstalled PD several times. Hard Resets etc...

Yes, VZ MAC 700P BT DUN DIALUP NETWORKING - WORKS!!!, but IS HIGHLY UNSTABLE!!!

Many attempts to just Connect... Disconnects, unless I set Network Utilities to keep Pinging Google 72.14.207.99

I spoke to Palm Techs in Phillipines COUNTLESS times about it since July 2006!!! Last time in beginning of March 2007 they again told me that DUN is UNSTABLE on Mac, and that they've been getting a lot of calls about this exact problem. They even tried to help me to install USB Modem 3rd party product, and it was sad too...

Palm Techs told me that this DUN TETHERING is mostly a Mac Issue, and that they get MANY calls from both VZ and Sprint Mac Customers. When I asked if Sprint Mac customers were more LUCKY than VZ, Palm Tech said that it wasn't fair to compare, because Verizon has more Mac Customers than Sprint, which can create a misleading impression that this DUN TETHERING for Macs with 700p works better on Sprint than on VZ...

VZ, Palm, Mac...

My impression is that VZ basically expects its Mac customers to leave for iPhone/ATT this Summer, so why even bother?

Palm Desktop and HotSync - END OF LIFE a year or 2 ago! It's just a matter of time before those stop working on OSX. Apple is not going to help those, cause they want to sell iPhones

MissingSyn to replace HotSync?

MS guys are going to run around, promissing to plug in all the holes, but EVENTUALLY when iPhone is up and running full force, with Camcorder, Voice Recorder etc, and all the Widgets basically acting as Palm Economy 3rd Party Developers, I'd give my 700p away as a gift...

I DON'T CARE if it is CDMA or GSM... I just want it to WORK!

I want a STABLE Internet in addition to STABLE VOICE CONNECTION, plus my Data on the go!!!

I want my Memos Linked to Contacts, Events, other Memos, ala Palm Desktop... I don't want to use Entourage or Now Contact for that..

I've HAD IT with the BLAME GAME where Palm blames VZ and or Apple...

Cell Company is supposed to CONNECT, and all else should be Apple on Apple Hardware, or Made for iPhone CERTIFIED Hardware.

As to 3rd Party Software for Palm, I hope those Palm 3rd Party Developers will offer all that as Widgets on iPhone....

The Days of Palm Tech Support telling me to Hard Reset my Palm PDA or Treo in order rule out 3rd Party Software Conflict are OVER, just like OS9 on Mac!

Life is too short for Mac or any users to play detective with Palm Techs in Philippines, who don't walk around with Verizon or Sprint Palm Treos in their DAILY LIVES, LIVING THE PALM OS LIFE like we do, here in the US, 12 Time Zones away!

Palm/Treo showed us a PROMISE of a GREAT FUTURE, but that future is not gona come from Palm. It will come from Apple...

No matter how many ex Apple Designers Palm hires, and how many colors Treos is offered in, Palm/Treo will soon become mostly a Windows Mobile OS Company, for Biz/Corporate Customers with IT Departments!!! The INDIVIDUALS can stand on their heads and complain all day long, or go to Apple/ATT iPhone! Palm SCREWED UP, and will likely be SOLD to to iPhone Killer Coalition of Companies!!!

And this is coming from me, a passionate Palm OS user since 1999!!!

If Palm cares about INDIVIDUAL Mac Customers like me, they first should APOLOGIZE and RECOMMIT PUBLICLY to all of us who love our Macs!

Till iPhone 2.0 is out, I am stuck with my 700P and 1 more year on my VZ Contract!!! Those Contracts are UGLY...

iPhone, oY!Phone, oUCHPhone, dULLPhone dUMBPhone, dUMP-Phone!

I already told my VZ friends in the Data Support about this ZILLION TIMES, and am BCC'ng this to them again!!! Now it's simply:

Can You Hear Me Now? SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!

But, enough venting!

I just joined TreoCentral Forums! Nice, BUT -- so many SEPARATE Threads on this very topic. I wish they'd COMBINE them! Otherwise, what am I supposed to do, post this very Post on each Thread?!??

Dear TreoCentral PLEASE COMBINE all these Threads under ONE:

VERIZON MAC 700P DUN DIALUP NETWORKING TETHERING BT BLUETOOTH- UNSTABLE!!!
    Last edited by vzdunsucksonmac; 03/12/2007 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Case Capitals
    No, it's not unstable on Macs. You just have to come to TreoCentral and search for the answer.

I use DUN with my MacBook Pro frequently on the road with no trouble. I had the same trouble as you with frequent disconnects, and the solution is in the thread I started on the topic:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=131050

Once I applied the solution, I've had totally stable connections. I say in the thread that the connection times out after 15 minutes, but that has not been true for about three months. The connection remains as long as there's a good signal.

Hope this helps!
    Palm IIIx>Palm Vx>Palm m515>Tungsten T>Tungsten C>Verizon Treo 650
    ................................StarTAC 7868W>Motorola V710>Verizon Treo 650>Treo 700p>Apple iPhone 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by neuronbob View Post
    No, it's not unstable on Macs. You just have to come to TreoCentral and search for the answer.

I use DUN with my MacBook Pro frequently on the road with no trouble. I had the same trouble as you with frequent disconnects, and the solution is in the thread I started on the topic:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=131050

Once I applied the solution, I've had totally stable connections. I say in the thread that the connection times out after 15 minutes, but that has not been true for about three months. The connection remains as long as there's a good signal.

Hope this helps!

It is FRUSTRATING to be hopping between Threads on this Forum...

Wish TreoCentra would COMBINE these Threads into ONE!!! OBVIOUSLY, DUN TETHERING is LESS STABLE on MAC than on Windows... Talking about ALMOST the Same thing, this topic, on Different Threads, doesn't help to FOCUS the ATTENTION!!!

Thanks neuronbob -- I will try this:

Go to settings and "Turn Off Echo PPP Packets"", although that is NOT what Palm Tech Support recommends...

At the bottom of this Post, see Screenshots of my DUN Settings, as per Palm Tech Support Instructions! That's what they have told me to do, while confirming that DUN is UNSTABLE on Mac's.... And HOPEFULLY, it'll change when there is a PATCH for 700p, and when Verizon comes up with better Script than 5220... As I said, they've been telling me this since July 2006!!!

I also don't have the $$, ala Consumer Reports to verify if Mac DUN TETHERING is more stable with VZ or Sprint, or other Cell Carriers?!

Getting a DEDICATED 2nd line with 5220 PCM Card is COSTLY.

If Palm claims that 700P DUN TETHERING works on MAC, why am I supposed to pay TWICE for the same feature with VZ 5220 PCM Card??!?!

But the BIGGEST FRUSTRATION is not My 700P DUN TETHERING not Maintaining Conection!!!! I HAVE A HARD TIME TRYING TO CONNECT IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!

It ALMOST ALWAYS involves SEVERAL ATTEMPTS... And I am talking about Connecting from my own living room in NYC!!! And then quickly launching Network Utilities to keep Ping Google 72.14.207.99!!!!

So, is it a problem with VZ Coverage, or 700p Bluetooth, or Mac Bluetooth, or all of the above, to whatever degree????????

Again I am talking about Connecting from my own living room in NYC, as well as from other locations in NYC!!!

My friend in LI, NY has exactly the same problem, except he is on a farely new Macbook Pro that he got in 8/2006... Otherwise it's the same 700p and VZ. He and I are pretty knowledgeable as far as Technology and Macs...

At the same time, I HAVE been LUCKY on a few occasions, where I was a passanger in a car, driving from NYC to Boston, and, with Pinging, I was online for about 3 hours, occasionally changing between EVDO and 1x... So, the MIRACLES do happen... but RARELY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I've seen Improvement in Speed at

http://infospeed.verizon.net/speedte...edtest500k.asp

256K - 494.7KBits 61.8KBytes - RECORD!!!

2x ISDN-128K-233.4KBits 29.2KBytes
    256K - 342.4KBits 42.8KBytes
    256K 329.7KBits 41.2KBytes
    256K 361.6KBits 45.2KBytes
    256K 374.8KBits 46.9KBytes

VZ SHOOTING ITSELF IN THE FOOT...

This happened earlier today, 3/12/07... I was passing by my local VZ store... Obviously DUN TETHERING topic came to mind, particularly now, that the weather is getting warmer, and I'd love to do more work outdoors, and catch daylight...

VZ Store Manager was standing outside, and his salesman was handing out VZ Specials Flyers, trying to attract new customers to come in to the store! The sign on his shirt said: Se Habla Espaņol...

So, I mentioned this DUN TETHERING topic to this Store Manager, and said that it was sad to see VZ them push those flyers, while at the same time VZ is pushing me, a loyal VZ Customer of 13-14 years CONTINUESLY, away towards ATT and iPhone, cause VZ doesn't keeps ignoring my Compaints on this topic of DUN TETHERING since July of 2006!!! And, I do speak English!

VZ Store Manager said: "most people are on Windows... I am not crazy about Macs... "

The rest of that VZ Store Manager's remarks were equally PATHETIC, indicating low inteligence!!! His "sidekick" guy, who was giving out the flyers, didn't look too bright either, and had a nerve to offer his opinion:

iPhone is a Video iPod with a little phone capabilities!!!

The Manager (Willie) said that "iPhone is all hype and won't even make a dent, ala Prada Phone..."

So I asked those two "Einsteins" if they saw iPhone promo and Steve Jobs Demo on Apple website... They didn't even know that those were available!!!

So I said: Don't you see guys how contradictory this is:

Here you are fighting for new customers, while the rest of the company is throwing away customers like me?

Those 2 guys just smiled...

Meanwhile, across the street there was a Cingular/ATT franchise store, which was pretty pathetic in terms of layout, and looked like an icky closet, compared to a nice, clean VZ store... At both stores there were opinionated Forrest Gumps, pretending to be Tech Eagles!

So, I thought to myself -- PICK YOUR POISON!

I found myself in the middle of a READY MADE TV Commercial for Apple's iPhone!!!

As I said, those VZ "GREAT MINDS" were "natural"!!!

About 50 feet past VZ store I saw a bunch of those flyers which VZ "rocket scientist" sidekick must have just given out!!! And I thought to myself:

Those VZ Flyers looked good. Some graphics designer got paid to create those.
    The VZ "suits", MANAGEMENT, held meetings, designing their next PRPRPR $Strategy$ $etc$. $But$, $the$ $ACTIONS$ $speak$ $loude$ $than$ $words$:

It does look like VZ doesn't care about Mac customers... They seem to be looking for low end customers who are not "too sophisticated", don't talk back, don't make trouble, don't visit Discussion Boards like this... Tie them up with a 2 Years Contract and a Basic Service, so that they are stuck....!!!!

That VZ Manager (Willie) predicted that "iPhone, like Prada phone, won't even make a dent...", cause it's too expensive...

Oh well, I politely wished them good luck, and good night, and walked away. Then I called my friend from LI, NY, and told him about this encounter outside VZ store... We again exchanged more 700p VZ DUN TETHERING sad tales...

Then we both laughed, and I asked him to email me a link to some Yogi Berra Quotes. He did. I clicked on the Link in his email, and my Treo 700P proudly dispayed an Orange Palm Logo after the infamous "White Screen of Patience Testing!!!" It crashed!!!! Or maybe Palm Developers have a thing against Yogi!?

Jokes aside, after my 700p Restarted, I again clicked on Yogi Links in the same emails, and got to these pages, which I happily bookmarked:

http://www.rinkworks.com/said/yogiberra.shtml

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/au...ogi_berra.html

I can only hope that iPhone is a HUGE HIT, which can only INSPIRE VZ and the rest of Smartphone Market to step up, and provide BETTER PRODUCTS at better prices...

Smartphones are for Smart CUSTOMERS... Smartphones can only come from Smart DEVELOPERS... Smartphones better be SMART, compared to most folks working at VZ or other Cell Carrier Stores!!!

In a BLINDFOLD TEST, 95% of the time one would be EASILY able to tell Apple Store Salesperson from ANY Cellphone Carrier Store!!! It's a NIGHT AND DAY DIFFERENCE!!! And never mind the store appearance!!!

I am perfectly willing to pay more for Apple products, cause there are SMART PEOPLE behind it... Even Security Guards at Apple 5th Ave or Soho Stores impressed me to be BRIGHTER and SMART than even MANAGERS at VZ Stores, which look more high end then Sprint, Cingular, T-Mobile Stores... I.e. IT'S A CLEAR EXAMPLE of You get what you pay for...

Ironically, as I am finishing up this post my 700P decided to Restart itself! And I hardly have any 3rd party Applications running on it!!! But, then again, it happens fairly regularly, and this is a BRAND NEW 700P, which my Friends at VZ supplied me with on 2/15/07... If I didn't have those FRIENDS, I, would have been STUCK waiting for a REPLACEMNT 700p for almost a week, and it would have been a REFURBISHED, not BRAND NEW 700p, and I would have had to do all the same Hard Resets etc...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As a PASSIONATE Palm OS person, it saddens me to see Palm VISION end up so badly UNDERSERVED!!! But, I kind of got used to it, and had to except such LAME STATUS QUO!!!!

FORTUNATELY, for all of us, Apple saw this HUGE Growth Opportunity!!! iPhone is coming and is going to wake up the Smartphone Industry!!!!

Given Apple's Track Record, it's about time people see QUALITY PRODUCTS, QUALITY CUSTOMER CARE, and a TOTAL PACKAGE that SIMPLY WORKS!!!!

That's what I am hoping for!!! Of course, I hope that ATT/iPhone Price Plans make sense, and that the Coverage is SUPERB! All remains to be seen!!! Also, GSM should allow for WORLD COVERAGE, unlike CDMA? Who knows, maybe WiFi & VoIP(Skype?) will be the WORKAROUND-SOLUTION to UNITE THE WORLD?! But that's whole other TOPIC which I wish didn't exist....

I hope that everyone reading this thread, who has had similar experiences with 700p DUN TETHERING, brings this Thread to their Carrier's attention ASAP... That way, it'll be harder for the Carriers, like my VZ, to CONTINUE TO IGNORE us, by saying something like -- "Sir we haven't had other customers complain about this issue"..., and that is if you have time to stay on Hold, after weeding through the prompts, and hopefully getting to the right department on the first try!

Can yall hear me now?!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by vzdunsucksonmac; 03/13/2007 at 12:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boricua View Post
    It is not necessary to call. All settings are in the BLUETOOTH Preferences Setup. I'd left the ethernet cable in while setting up.....guess what the setup did not complete it's cycle since the ethernet cable automatically was identified by OS X4.7 as the primary internet setup. So when I removed the cable and depended on the Bluetooth D-Link, presto.....it setup correctly.
    Boricua, you can change the priority order of your network connections on a Mac. Go to System Preferences / Network then from the "Show" pull-down menu select "Network Port Configurations." Then drag the different port configurations up or down in the list to change the priority order.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobodobo View Post
    Boricua, you can change the priority order of your network connections on a Mac. Go to System Preferences / Network then from the "Show" pull-down menu select "Network Port Configurations." Then drag the different port configurations up or down in the list to change the priority order.
    Hey guys,

I went a step further, and created a New Location with BT being the ONLY PORT Enabled... That way it's SIMPLER to just Change/Pick a Bluetooth DUN Location from Location Item under Apple Menue...

As it's OWN LOCATION, it keeps Bluetooth DUN Setting SEPARATE from Ethernet, Airport etc.

Still, it doesn't help much... And of course, I re-PAIRED 700P with my Powerbook after Deleting Devices on both Desktop and 700p, Repairing Permissions, Restarts, Shut Downs, Soft and Hard Resets etc, Ritual Dances and Meals!!!...

Verizon 5220 Script is OLD and was NEVER MEANT for 700P -- That's what Palm Tech Support has been telling me since JULY 2006 - 8 MONTHS AGO!!!!

Maybe Apple's BT is not good in this area either? It's not like I want to put all the blame on VZ or Palm, but, it's EASIER for me to trust Apple than others, cause Apple has delivered...

APPLE vs. PALM = WAR

Not to sound like a Conspiracy Theorist:

Apple doesn't have much insentive to help VZ & Palm and vs., since they are now ALL in a DIRECT COMPETITION!!!! My instinct tells me that it's only gonna get worse and we, on Mac, are gonna be stuck in a cross fire, while on the surface they will all deny it...

MissingSync http://www.markspace.com/ will focus more on Windows Mobile, cause with iPhone, there is no need for HotSync as we knew it, I think... Also, once you use MissingSync and there is a problem, Palm Tech Support will say: We don't support 3rd party products!!!

And we are back to Square One with BLAME GAME!!!

Why didn't Palm make MissingSync their OFFICIAL Sync Provider, since it is BETTER than Palm's own HotSync, and, since Palm stated that they will no longer develope HotSync for Mac?!

iPhone will be for PEOPLE

while Windows Mobile Treos will be pushed onto Corporate World... And guess who will help push for that?

IT folks!!! Why? Cause iPhones, like iPods, like most Macs, don't need IT Departments... They just WORK !!!!!!!!!

IT folks need Windows and Palm, so that they can justify their jobs, fixing things...

With Macs and iPhone -- there will be very little to fix, if anyting!!!

That is why Apple is getting ready to open 40 more Retail Stores, where people will be able to get help from SMARTER STAFF than most of Cell Carriers!!!!!! Face time, one on one training, Free Demonstations, Classes etc...

I am not saying that APPLE is ALL PERFECT and everone else stinks! I have plenty Wish List Items etc. for Apple, but I've NEVER been DISRESPECTED by ANYONE at Apple, in person or on the phone!!!

What I AM saying is that Palm had Mobile Computing PDA's and SmartPhones almost all to themselves, and it turned out to be a ZOO!!! --

3rd party applications crashing devices, cause Palm OS needs A LOT MORE STABILITY!!!

The Cell Carriers had too much control over Palm, unlike Apple that kept them away from the "kitchen"...

RESULT -- BLAME GAME, and all of us LAMENTING and COMPLAINNG on Discussion Boards like this, sharing our FRUSTRATION!!!

If an application crashes on Mac OS X, it doesn't crash the whole System, while on Palm OS, it's like the Old OS 9 Days, with Extensions Manager, Conflict Catcher etc...

RETAIL DONE (not DUN) RIGHT...

Apple has GREAT Apple Stores and Apple Care, Palm has UNDERTRAINED, UNDEREDUCATED kids working at Carrier Stores, or RadioShack etc. They DON'T CARE, they are not getting paid enough to CARE!!! And when you hear them speak English, it becomes obvious that they are not very educated!!! I don't care if someone has a foreign accent etc... To me it's the ATTITUDE, and level of training, plus the desire to HELP the CUSTOMER!!!

Apple has long waiting lists for those who apply to work at Apple Store! Those stores, like the rest of Apple are a MUCH HIGHER CALIBER PRODUCTION!!! At every Apple store that I've been to, I've seen the same thing: HAPPY STAFF LOOKING TO HELP, PROUD OF THEIR JOBS!!!

I have NEVER seen such vibe at Verizon Stores, never mind other carriers!!!

That's EXACTLY what I've been telling my GOOD FRIENDS at VZWLSZ, but I can't expect them to stick their necks out, and put their jobs on the line in the name of DO THE RIGHT THING!!! And so it goes...

Can you hear me now?!!?!?!
    Last edited by vzdunsucksonmac; 03/13/2007 at 01:36 AM.
    With 700p is in Mexico, it doesn't look like Treo 755p will show up in US soon, or am I wrong?!?!?

http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/9...00p-in-mexico/

I am concerned that Palm Stock will DROP BIG when iPhone is out, and Palm will be aquired... That won't help State of Palm much, and will probably slow down Palm OS part of Palm, making it mostly Windows Mobile Company, with a prettier Interface, courtesy of the ex-Apple guy they just hired...

Palm has to license Missing Sync, for starters, instead of their ANCIENT HotSync!

Palms ace, as of now, is Dial Up Networking, DUN. iPhone doesn't have/need it as much... If Palm does make DUN ROCK SOLID (on Macs particularly), we'll have our laptops online as part of our wireless service, particularly if VZ drops the Pricing Plans for that...

Treo 755p needs WiFi and BADLY, with Skype preinstalled... Hey, whatever it takes to compete with iPhone... Otherwise, Palm is OVER even quicker!

These is what comes to mind! Can't wait to hear other opinions! TIA!!!