Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey dudes

Quick review here on the software app USBModem, which allows you to connect your Treo to a Mac, over USB, and then dialup through the modem

I rely A TON on tethering, since much of my work takes place on the road, so having a quick internet connection available anywhere is of great importance to me

With that said, I did purchase the dialup package from Sprint PCS --- but I gotta say, I'm severely disappointed with the BLUETOOTH dialup connection ---- the connection will not stay active for more than 5 mins, and even while active, the speeds are 'so-so'

USBModem, however, stays VERY consistent (no drop-outs - constant active connection for up to hours) and the speeds are EXCELLENT ---- honestly, it seems faster than my cable modem connection at home

anyways ---- for those of you who wanna tether your Treo to your PC, definitely look no further than USBModem, and don't waste your time with the lousy Bluetooth connection

http://www.mobile-stream.com/usbmodem.html

and seriously ----- I do not work for USB Modem ---- I just love this product ---- it's made work much easier! hope that review helps!
    BLUETOOTH!!!!
    do you still need a sprint phone as modem plan with this?
    One hint. If you are doing this on a Mac, in the network preference under bluetooth, click on the PPP options. Uncheck the send PPP echos (or something similar, don't have the Mac in front of me). That eliminated the bluetooth disconnections for me.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    With Verizon Wireless, I pay $45/mo. for the data plan and an additional $15/mo. for tethering. With USB Modem, do you still need the tethering plan?
  5.    #5  
    I have no idea regarding if you still need the dialup plan or not?

BC - thanks for the tip!
    BLUETOOTH!!!!
  6.    #6  
    BC - YOU ROCK

USB connection is still faster - but now Bluetooth is available - thanks bro!
    BLUETOOTH!!!!
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    You dont need the Tethering plan w/ USB Modem! IT does rock and has saved my but, as I am out w/ the Red-Cross alot and there is NO internet where I go!

One hint, the USB connection is faster then the Bluetooth (but that is the nature of the beast)

SCott
    I had USB modem working beautifully with my Powerbook and VZW 700p, tethering was ON on my VZW account. I had tethering turned off by VZW and I could no longer connect using USBmodem. I have neither the time nor the patience to troubleshoot (or argue) so I had tethering turned back on and I just suck up the $15/mth.

I hate Verizon because they're expensive.
    But I love Verizon because I have never been anywhere without a signal.
    I've had problems running USB Modem with an older PowerBook running 10.3.x. Mobile Stream tech support advised upgrading to at least 10.4.5, but that's a pretty expensive requirement just to make USB Modem work.
    It works just fine for me with 10.3.9.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Grace View Post
    It works just fine for me with 10.3.9.
    Did you have any problems at all? I've even had USB Modem crash the 700p (and with no other applications loaded on it). And I've tried 10.3.6 as well as 10.3.9.
    any significant differences between USB Modem & PDA Net? Also, while these programs (as does the tether hack) allow the Treo to tether, that doesn't mean Sprint won't one day smack everyone with data charges, if users don't have the Palm as Modem subscription. No reports yet, but you never do know. PDA Net has a "proxy" mode to help guard against this. Anything similar in USB Modem?
    There ARE differences for sure - USB Modem works on Mac, Windows, and Linux, where PDAnet only works on Windows.

And, you need to install an extra application on your Windows machine with PDAnet, where with USB Modem, the only thing you need to install is a .prc file on the Treo, and configure your network settings (which is easy)

Another plus for USB Modem is that it's cheaper at $24.95 versus $34 for PDAnet.

Another thing is that USB Modem works on all Treos, where PDAnet makes you buy a specific version for a specific Treo (even though that's not necessary) - it just seems like a ploy to make more money - seriously.

Now it's true that each Treo model does need specific code, but USB Modem has rolled all the code into ONE release, rather than releasing individual versions and gouging the customer to pay for upgrades, etc.

USB Modem is at http://www.mobile-stream.com/usbmodem.html

And I don't work for them either - they just earned my praise with a solid product and really good tech support.
    Oh - I asked Mobile Stream about the proxy thing, and they said there was no need for it as their app has always worked that way (I'm paraphrasing...)

It was PDAnet that needed to catchup and add the feature.
    Quote Originally Posted by macguitar View Post
    Another thing is that USB Modem works on all Treos, where PDAnet makes you buy a specific version for a specific Treo (even though that's not necessary) - it just seems like a ploy to make more money - seriously.

Now it's true that each Treo model does need specific code, but USB Modem has rolled all the code into ONE release, rather than releasing individual versions and gouging the customer to pay for upgrades, etc.
    The extra $25 you pay (on top of the initial $35) for each "upgraded version" of PDAnet probably covers the "rebranding" and minor tweaks to cover each hardware "version."

Don't get me wrong - it's a nice program and likely very helpful for massive tetherers without an expense account. But it does seem like they are taking advantage of their existing customer base to insist that every new Treo requires yet another "completely different" version of their program.

It's like having to throw out your nearly-new skillet and buy a brand new one (at a slightly reduced price) just because you switched to another version of pancake mix.

If junefabrics doesn't improve their upgrade... excuse me - "new license" policy by the next hardware release, I'll jump ship to USB Modem and not look back. And will suggest others do the same. Five to ten bucks - maybe. But $25 is waaay too much when you just bought the last one a few months back. Good that competition has finally arrived in this area.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Joad,

EXXXXXXACTLY. That was my point about each update requiring a separate purchase. Very, very sleazy of them. I totally understand and respect that programming and engineering requires time and time is money. But you can't expect someone to pay for an app they already paid for. If they had a policy where previous purchases could get the other versions for free, that would be one thing, but they are clearly trying to take advantage of customers.
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    Thanks to this thread, I decided to try USB modem after an unsuccessful early attempt with the tethered hack. Worked like a charm, decent speed. Only question is, has anyone with Sprint used this for a couple of months (billing cycles) to verify no charges from Sprint?
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoMountain View Post
    Did you have any problems at all? I've even had USB Modem crash the 700p (and with no other applications loaded on it). And I've tried 10.3.6 as well as 10.3.9.
    I had some problems at the very beginning, before they'd gotten some of the major bugs out. Now it works quite reliably for me with my TiBook. You're sure you're using the latest version?

Resets with the 700p are not uncommon anyway, so if they're random and infrequent, I'd just shrug and try again. If they happen reproducibly or often, that's another story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Grace View Post
    I had some problems at the very beginning, before they'd gotten some of the major bugs out. Now it works quite reliably for me with my TiBook. You're sure you're using the latest version?

Resets with the 700p are not uncommon anyway, so if they're random and infrequent, I'd just shrug and try again. If they happen reproducibly or often, that's another story.
    Still have not been able to get it to work. It is the latest--v.1.50. Have even done several hard resets and resynched the prc to get a pristine clean app on the 700p with absolutely nothing else loaded onto the 700p. In contrast with others' experience reported here, I can no longer get Mobile Stream tech support to even respond to my emails. Their last statement was to upgrade the Mac to OS 10.4.5 at minimum, or get a refund from MotricityInc-PalmGear (which refuses to provide a refund. I'm about to call American Express and submit a request for a backcharge. This has gotten ridiculous, even though I've come to conclude that my 700p may be suspect (based on other responders on this forum and over on EVDO).
    I also use USB Modem... it's a great thing... probably should move this to Application instead just 700P.
    Visor -> Treo 300 -> Sprint Treo 700p -> Treo 800w
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast