1. fal
    Hi all.

I was going to get Nokia E61 and I just got offered for Treo 600 for $100 through one of my work mate. I was wondering it is still up to my daily usage. The reason I'm considering this, is because if Treo 600 can do the job, there is no reason to get E61 which I will have to pay a lot more money for one.

Here are my requirement.

*Heavy SMS texting, general phone call usage.
    *Absolutely no delay/lags on large text input(over 1000 characters) on both SMS or any other notepad programs.
    *Able to operate all functions by keypad. I don't like using stylus and want to avoid using it.
    *Dictonary and Thesaurus use with crossword puzzles. I found this bit of a problem with E61 since I couldn't find ANY crossword puzzles for it.
    *Above average battery life for smart/PDA phones.
    *Able to use in the dark. Good backlight on keypads including qwerty is necessary.
    *Reading ebooks and .txt/.pdf read. Mobipocket?
    *General PIM use.

This is basicly it. I would like to have internet browsing through BT or wifi to access websites and email but that's expecting too much for such old unit. Not to mention its native screen resolution is too low for proper web browsing anyway. I have no absolute need for watching vids or playing games. I have other devices does the job far better.

What would be you opinon/exprience? I really want to avoid lags and delays upon putting large amount of text in. That's one of the reason I'm upgrading from my old kyocera Palm phone. When I was fast typing large amount of text, It was frustrating to push a button and wait till screen shows up a character.

Cheers.
    Last edited by fal; 09/20/2006 at 11:42 PM.
    If you werent going for the 700p, then I would pass on the 600 and get the 650. The screen, BT, removable battery make it a better bet IMO.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Plus: the 600 is a stable device.

Con: the battery is not "user" replaceable for most people. When the battery goes, and it will, it means the repair shop or the trash can.

Con: speed - not as fast as the 650.

Con: resolution - not what the 650 is.

Pro: you can pick on up really cheap.

Conclusion: pass on it and get a 650 or 700p.

Ben
  4. fal
    Thanks for replies guys.

Treo 650 costs more than E61 here in New Zealand.

Treo 650 normaly runs around about 400USD used, 580USD brand new.

Treo 600 normaly runs around about 200USD used, no longer available off retail as a brand new. I got used one(very mint condition with mint battery life) offered for 100USD from my friend.

Other new Treo models are yet to be available in the country.

Nokia E61 normaly runs around about 480USD brand new. No second hand models yet since it's fairly new here.

As you can see, I don't know whether Treo 650 is worth 100USD more than E61.

I know 650 would be faster than 600. That's just plain logic. What I'm wondering, is Treo 600 is suited for what I want for my tasks and requirements. I don't need overkill.

For screen, I'm happy with my old kyocera, which is I belive same res/colour that treo 600 has. Actualy I'm happy with everything else except It is the delay/lags on large text input which is killing me, and no qwerty.

Cheers.
    Yes, I think the 600 will do everthing you're looking for. And it certainly has a much better selection of software than the Nokia. It's biggest weakness for your needs is probably the lower resolution. Crossword puzzles will not look as nice, but they will be playable. I played a lot of scrabble on my 600.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  6. fal
    Thanks for the reply.

So I won't suffer from the delay/lag between pressing of qwerty keyboard and output on the screen as I type large amount of text data?(i.e over 1000 characters.) I just want to make sure of it because it is the biggest concern that I'm upgrading from my kyocera.

Cheers.
    Quote Originally Posted by fal View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

So I won't suffer from the delay/lag between pressing of qwerty keyboard and output on the screen as I type large amount of text data?(i.e over 1000 characters.) I just want to make sure of it because it is the biggest concern that I'm upgrading from my kyocera.

Cheers.
    fal:

I didn't type as much text as you do, but I don't remember any significant problems with delays. Any Palm device can pause occasionally if some background task starts up, but I rememberthe 600 as pretty speedy. In fact, I think there were more problems with lag on the early 650s, before ROM updates.

Given the pricing you mention, I don't think you can lose. Try the 600, and if you're not satisfied you can re-sell it for no loss.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    For the needs you posted, I think the 600 will suit you just fine. I had no lag between typing and characters showing up on the screen. The screen is bright, but the low resolution will make video and webbrowsing less then enjoyable. Given your parameters, the only weakness I see with the 600 is the battery. Though good, you can't simple swap out a dead battery on the road with a fresh one, you'll have to bring your charger.

Also a plus for you, as you seem to require text input so much, there are a plethora of palm keyboards that work with the 600.

You also have lot's of software for the Palm OS and of course this wonderful resource here, treocentral! In short if the 650 isn't an option, then go for the 600. Be advised, once you've had the 600 for a while, it won't be long before you get the urge to upgrade. Happy hunting.
    Palm IIIe -> Visor Deluxe -> Palm 505 -> Clie tj37 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700P
  9. fal
    Thanks guys. I really appreciate your replies.

I'm willing to upgrade to better device but yet to see anything to my liking. If there is a Palm device with M600i (though I prefer joystick/directonal pad over sony's jog anyday) or E61 form factor, I would be all over it.

The reason I can't justify to buy 650 is that other than being overkill for my usage, I don't like the thickness of treo series and it is 100bucks more expensive than E61 which has more features. Not to mention I hate that darn aerial. I'm not sure of E61 but the form factor and the features are still well worth the trade off for bloody crossword puzzles. :P (there are no crossword puzzles available for E61, not even by 3rd party.)

Many people would disagree but for my use, E61 has nothing to complain, except that it is overkill. Surely I wouldn't want to pay another near 400 dollars just because I want the form factor. 650 doesn't really hold much ground for me because it does not offer any better value than 600 nor E61 for my tasks/requirements.

Treo 600 is for now then. Finaly I can get out of kyocera annoyance. That delay/lag was really killing me. I would end up with lots of hair lose, if I keep using it. :P I would expect current battery, which is in mint condition would last another year at least so when it happens, I will just get rid of it and replace with better device. I hope to expect that Palm could come up with better phone by then.

Thanks all!!
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    The 600 can do all you want...and probably more.

$100 seems fair, keep in mind that the 680 was just announced. This will give you a few things like the 320x320 screen (some new apps require this) and bluetooth..which the 600 lacks.

I have a 600 now and am looking to upgrade...it will most likely be to the 680.
    Unless a 650 owner really likes the no antenna form factor of the 680...it is probably not a good upgrade for most from a 650.