1.    #1  
    Hi Folks:

I do a lot of traveling where I am making numerous reservations, through our travel agency, at one time. They then e-mail me a text copy of each separate itinerary.

What I am looking for is a software solution that will convert the text files to a DateBook+ database file that I can load directly into DateBook+. Rather than having to input the information manually.

Does anyone know if such a software solution exists?

Thanks In Advance
    Truth is stranger than fiction, but it
    is because Fiction is obliged to stick
    to possibilities; Truth isn't. -- Mark Twain
    Hmmm.... not directly (at least I haven't seen any. The trip planners I've seen either don't have import capabilities or an interface to the DateBook).

DateBook+ uses the PalmOS Datebook database, so there's really nothing special there-- anything that can import into the PalmOS Datebook database will show up in DateBook+.

One major hurdle is that the itinerary may be in a non-delimited format. If it's anything like the inineraries I've gotten, it looks like a letter. Sure it may be "formatted" but it's not formatted for a computer program to harvest information from to be placed into another computer data format.

LinkeSOFT has a program called DIMEX that can import information into the Windows Palm Desktop-- which syncs with the DateBook database-- but the import format has to be CSV... comma-separated values.

You could use this program with a spreadsheet app (like Excel or 1-2-3). The procedure would be similar to the following:

1) Create a template in the spreadsheet to accomodate the DateBook data fields;

2) Copy the itinerary into the spreadsheet (perhaps text selections at a time, e.g. the date into the Date field, the flight # into the Flight field, etc.)

3) Save the spreadsheet to disk as a CSV file;

4) Run DIMEX to import the CSV file into your Palm Desktop;

5) HotSync.

But, you know... after doing the above, Copying and Pasting would probably be more efficient.

Of course, if you're not using Windows, and/or not using the Palm Desktop, DIMEX won't help.

The other solution would be to liberally use the Copy 'n Paste method (which is what I do-- in the Palm Desktop, I'll create the appointment, switch over to my desktop mail client, copy the text, and paste it as a Note in the appointment).
    i occasionally have a similar scenario (say that 3 times fast! )

and what i usually do is copy the text from the email then go into Palm Desktop (or Outlook if that's what you're using) and create an appointment in my datebook, then create a note and paste the email there.

It's not as 'refined' as what you're talking about but it does get the job done.
    wow, it's been awhile.....things have REALLY changed...why is my Visor Edge still in my hand? Will a Treo fit better?
    Depending on how much time you have to spend researching this, here's a thought --
    Lotus Organizer 6 (a PIM app) comes bundled with something called OAG, which is some sort of travel/booking app.
    I haven't really explored it beyond what I saw as I installed ORG6, but if it's integrated with the Lotus app, it should also be integrated via their conduit, Easysync, to PDAs.
    Perhaps try emailing www.lotus.com/?
    I'll be curious to see what you find to solve your problem.
    Good luck.
    oohh... I had forgotten about Organizer.

Yes, since version 5.0, Organizer comes bundled with a 3-month trial subscription to OAG.

However, using OAG with Organizer might mean you'll have to do your own planning as you'll have to look up the flight and segment details.

All's not lost-- Organizer 6.0 has this nifty feature called "EasyClip". It allows you to highlight any text in any Windows application and turn it into the appropriate entry in Organizer. Then sync it over. That might be another alternative... view your e-mail itinerary, highlight the important parts, send it over to Organizer as an appointment, etc.
    Originally posted by ProjectZero
    It allows you to highlight any text in any Windows application and turn it into the appropriate entry in Organizer. Then sync it over. That might be another alternative... view your e-mail itinerary, highlight the important parts, send it over to Organizer as an appointment, etc.

ummm...isn't this the same as 'highlight, copy, paste into outlook/palm desktop/etc. into an appointment note'? Wouldn't it be easier to do this considering Jerry wouldn't have to get Lotus Organizer?

Am I missing something?
    wow, it's been awhile.....things have REALLY changed...why is my Visor Edge still in my hand? Will a Treo fit better?