Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Hi
    Here's the situation. Sprint 700p. I like On Demand and I use it a lot. The MAIN use is TV Guide because I can get a program grid for my local cable provider, mark an upcoming show or movie, tell it to put it in my calendar and then set an alarm for it. So far so good.

I got the 700p brand new on 1 June, 2006 and that's the day Sprint activated it.

On Demand that came on it is one version back from the latest version. While using it each day it forces a new version on me with a message such as "On Demand update is required." And offers me two buttons - update and exit. The exit button quits On Demand and takes me back to the apps launcher. The update button downloads an update, a Nutshell installer installs the new version.

IN OTHER WORDS, AFTER X MINUTES OF USE, EVERY TIME, WITHOUT FAIL, IT INSISTS I HAVE TO ACCEPT THE NEW VERSION. IT WON'T LET ME KEEP USING THE OLD VERSION THAT WORKS FINE!

If I let this happen, TV Guide, 411, and Maps no longer work. They INSIST I am not subscribed and have to punch a Buy button and buy them again for $4.99. Even if I do that, nothing changes and they still don't work.

The ONLY way to make those "premium" On Demand features work again is to restore On Demand from a BackupBuddyVFS "checkpoint" I saved from July. All I have to do is restore "On Demand for PalmOS" from my BBVFS backup from July and everything works again.

EVERY time I let On Demand update itself, those premium services (which ARE on my plan) break and insist I have to buy them again.

I have been around and around all the way up to Sprint Advanced Technical Support and a very nice guy pushed some buttons and got it to work WITH the updated version ONCE. We thought the problem was solved. Two days later (about two weeks ago) it started doing it again. After On Demand updates itself it insists I have to buy those three premiums again and even if I do, they still don't work (and no it's not charging me for them twice..) ..

Anyone have any brilliat ideas? Anyone else see this happen? Anyone know of a secret little file I could go in with FileZ and delete? I'm really getting sick of this routine. Sprint is teling me a hard reset might - MIGHT fix it. Even they don't know.

My method of last resort if I can find the time will be to find someone at Handmark Express who has a brain and can fix this for me. Other than that, I'm stumped, stuck, frustrated, and very angry.

So I turn to the group mind. Don't tell me On Demand sucks, or so and so is better. I'm paying for these services, I want to use them, the older version works, I can't stop the damn thing from forcing a download of a newer version on me, the newer version breaks the premium services. 411, TV Guide, Maps and Directions. Everything else works fine - news, weather, money, all the other non premium "Page One" stuff.

I'm hoping someone else has the magic answer.

Harv
    Last edited by hrlaser; 09/20/2006 at 11:26 AM.
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    I had the same problem with my phone and deleted the program and reloaded
    it from the pocket express web site and haven't had a problem since!!
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by phoneattic41 View Post
    Please tell me exactly what you deleted (the main program and all its modules or just the main program or what??..) .. and give me a URL to exactly what you downloaded.

Thanks,

Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    Hi Harv,
    I think you can try this:
    1. Restore On Demand to a condition where it works (as you mentioned, a previous version).
    2. If present delete the file: OD-temp7-OnDemand.
    3. From a desktop or a laptop (not Blazer) download this file:
    http://www.handmark.com/downloads/on...nd_upgrade.prc
    4. Sync the file into the Treo, it will be in a folder called On Demand Update (in Applications from Resco Explorer, not sure about fileZ).
    5. Execute the file and voila, your problems are over.
    6. Send me a donation.

I would say this has more than a 50% chance of working.

Good Luck!
    Are you referring to Pocket Express or On Demand, my understanding is that they are somewhat different? If you actually repaired On Demad this way it would be GREAT news to me too (for the next time On Demand fails to work).
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    Are you referring to Pocket Express or On Demand, my understanding is that they are somewhat different? If you actually repaired On Demad this way it would be GREAT news to me too (for the next time On Demand fails to work).
    I'm referring to On Demand, that comes pre-installed in the Sprint 700p.

I tried the above fix. It did not work.

Version 1.1521 works fine. If I let it upgrade itself to 1.1541 or by using Copernicus' suggestion (above) which I just tried, either way, it upgrades to 1.1541 and all my page one premium services break. On Demand insists my "trial has expired" and I have to punch a buy button and pay $4.99/mo to make them work again. Even THAT does not make them work again.

The modules that break when I go from V1.1521 to V1.1541 are TV Guide, 411, and Maps and Directions. It INSISTS I am not subscribed to them and won't let me use them.

If I restore V1.1521 from BBVFS they all work fine, for one or two uses. Then On Demand INSISTS it has to install a new version and gives me no choice but to let it do that, or exit the program.

I just put in a call to HandMark Expess' PRPRPR $media$ $guy$ $whom$ $I$'$m$ $going$ $to$ $try$ $to$ $get$ $me$ $to$ $a$ $high$ $end$ $tech$ $geek$ $wizard$ $to$ $help$ $me$ $get$ $this$ $fixed$ $because$ $it$ $is$ $quite$ $literally$ $driving$ $me$ $nuts$, $not$ $to$ $mention$ $the$ $HOURS$ $I$'$ve$ $spent$ $on$ $the$ $phone$ $with$ $Sprint$'$s$ $advanced$ $technical$ $support$ $with$ $THEM$ $trying$ $to$ $fix$ $it$ $to$ $no$ $avail$.

Harv
    I'm sorry to hear that the fix did not work. It worked for me but for a slightly different problem. I could not even update and for two weeks On Demand was forcing me to delete the OD-temp7-OnDemand file in order to get it to work at all.

It sounds like you lost something equivalent to a cookie for OD. At any rate, while you research this with Handmark, could you please ask the people in charge what we should do when we have a problem. There doesn't seem to be any centralized support or knowledgeable people that we can contact. A problem such as this should be easily solvable by a tech who works with this stuff.

Like you, I very much appreciate On Demand, but we need a support contact to be able to rely on this program. Handmark does not seem to be too good at answering emails which puts one in a corner. This is an important program for many Treo users. As it stands, I am dreading the next update...
    I Deleted the main program and all its modules, then started from scratch.
    I downloaded direct to my phone on the web http://express.handmark.com
    and it loaded all the modules the only difference is instead of the main program saying ON Demand for the icon,it says EX Express but for me it works Great!!
    Is this Sprint or Verizon please?
    This is Sprint!! I had all types of problems when the program started to do upgrades, this was the only thing that worked.
    you don't have to download after deleting the RAM version, you reinstall from ROM. I did that and it fixed my OnDemand reset problems.
    Treoing & Loving it
    Quote Originally Posted by gt5l View Post
    you don't have to download after deleting the RAM version, you reinstall from ROM. I did that and it fixed my OnDemand reset problems.
    Did you just delete all On Demand related items from RAM and then tap on the Handmark On Demand bootstrap program in ROM (not sure exactly what that is). Is that the process? Are you subscribed to the service and if so did you ever have any problems there?

Thanks
    This is Sprint!! I had all types of problems when the program started to do upgrades, this was the only thing that worked.
    phoneattic, I have Sprint too so this is good news. I thought that maneuver was only going to work for Verizon. Are you subscribed to the On Demand service instead of the Express service and is it working well there?
    Did you just delete all On Demand related items from RAM and then tap on the Handmark On Demand bootstrap program in ROM (not sure exactly what that is)
    Yes

Are you subscribed to the service and if so did you ever have any problems there?
    No I am not subscribed to any services just the free suff

If you have your channels on the card you need to leave the 411 in the RAM otherwise it will reset everytime you update, the other can be on the card just fine
    Treoing & Loving it
    I have this same exact same problem. I delete On Demand temp 7 file and it works maybe twice then it asks for upgrade and brings the error message.It's driving me nuts and I'm reluctant to call Sprint cause all they'll tell me to do is to hard reset the phone. I tried to email Handmark and they conveniently told me that since it is included by Sprint on the 700p Handmark cannot support it and I have to call Sprint. I wish they'd take a lesson from Normsoft. They cheerfully helped me with Pocket Tunes on the 700p and even helped me when I hadn't bought PT deluxe from them but rather from Sprint. Now that's support!
    Quote Originally Posted by xchpstang View Post
    I have this same exact same problem. I delete On Demand temp 7 file and it works maybe twice then it asks for upgrade and brings the error message.It's driving me nuts and I'm reluctant to call Sprint cause all they'll tell me to do is to hard reset the phone. I tried to email Handmark and they conveniently told me that since it is included by Sprint on the 700p Handmark cannot support it and I have to call Sprint. I wish they'd take a lesson from Normsoft. They cheerfully helped me with Pocket Tunes on the 700p and even helped me when I hadn't bought PT deluxe from them but rather from Sprint. Now that's support!
    That is the *exact* problem I solved in post #4 above. In your case I would say it has higher than a 75% chance of fixing On Demand (I'm being conservative).

Here:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...60&postcount=4

Good Luck!
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    I have a Sprint Advanced Technical Support guy working on this for me. I've talked to and corresponded with him many times. No, I will not reveal his name, but this is what he emailed me yesterday:

"Mr. Laser or Harv I got your email and I have been dealing with this issue on a daily basis since we last spoke , today I have put in two work orders to the engineers for the same issue. Beyond that we have discussed this in our team meetings and the issue has been given to the higher ups. We have yet to be given a fix for this issue and have been given no tentative date as to when we might. The only thing I can offer you now is the sound assurance that we are investigating what can be done to resolve the issue. I will speak to my manager tomorrow morning when he returns and try to get more info ."

He previously told me that his department is getting more customer complaints about the 700p's On Demand than any other single problem (I absolutely refuse to use the word "issue"..) ..

I did find a clumsy workaround, and that is instead of launching the main On Demand itself from its little "clock" icon or whatever it is, I launch each module (weather, TV Guide, 411, maps and directions, and so on..) .. from each one's individual app icon. Then it works. As long as I don't go to "page one" it doesn't tell me it has to upgrade itself. This works with version 1.1521. If I let it upgrade itself to 1.1524, all the "premium" stuff on page one (TV guide, 411, directions and maps).. insist my trial is over and I have to buy them again. Totally wrong, since I'm already paying for them. So I'm using V1.1521 and launching each module from its own app icon and not going to page one at all. If I accidentally end up on page one and get the "you must upgrade or exit" message, I exit the program back to the Treo's main apps screen and just launch the module I want to use.

Anyway, I have a guy as high up in Sprint tech support as you can go, and he's working on it. From what he posted, a lot of people are working on it. Oh, and despite my calling him twice, Handmark Express' PRPRPR/$Media$ $conact$ $guy$ $never$ $had$ $the$ $courtesy$ $to$ $return$ $my$ $call$.

Harv
    Thanks for the update Harv, it sounds like you are finally getting them to seriously focus on it. Nice hack around the problem you have been having, hopefully we will have a complete solution soon. I don't know if you have an OD-temp7-On Demand file in there right now, deleting that was buying me and the poster above a couple of days at a time where we could go in through the front door without the prompt. After that each time the prompt comes up (usually every two or three days), you just delete the file and the prompt goes away for another couple of days. Anyway, please keep us posted.
    That is the *exact* problem I solved in post #4 above. In your case I would say it has higher than a 75% chance of fixing On Demand (I'm being conservative).

Here:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...60&postcount=4

Good Luck!
    Someone buy this great man a beer! The problem has been solved and On Demand works perfectly. Thanks Copernicus!
    Someone buy this great man a beer! The problem has been solved and On Demand works perfectly. Thanks Copernicus!
    You are quite welcome. Glad that hack helped someone!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast