Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Hi
    Status update - Sprint support just phoned me. They told me they had duplicated the problem described in message #1 above in their lab with at least two 700ps. And they were getting tons of support calls describing the exact same problem I described in message #1 above. There's a bug in On Demand 1.1524 that was causing a 700p to believe it was unsubscribed from any premium services (411, maps and directions, TV Guide, and so on).. the rep said that version, a pushed upgrade to 1.1521 would work correctly for a time or two, a day or two, then blammo, tell you you had to buy the services again. Software bug. So they have stopped pushing it to anyone running 1.1521 until Handmark Express fixes it.

The ONLY visible / visual difference between the two versions is that when the newer (broken) version updates data, (weather, news headlines, and so on..) .. it puts a "Processing" prompt on the screen so you know it's doing something. The earlier version didn't do that, but in adding that "feature" they broke the sync with one's account.

(Don't confuse "update" with "upgrade" - the program uses both terms but they have entirely different meanings..) ..

Anyway, I told her I was using a backed-up version of 1.1521 and it was no longer trying to push 1.1524 at me and she said that's why. Because they turned it off and won't turn it back on again until it's fixed.

If you have a 700p and use NONE of the premium services in On Demand, then you never would have noticed this bug.

So it wasn't my phone, or a cookie, or a funky hidden file somewhere, as I suspected, it was THEM. I've Beta tested enough software in the past twenty years to know that all I have to do is get ONE other person (or preferably the vendor themselves) to duplicate a problem and I know it's not me. It's the software. That's exactly what this was. The problem is that huge companies like Sprint have so many levels of support that you have to escalate a tricky, subtle problem like that way up past the people in the paper hats to the ubergeeks who actually understand what you're talking about, which is why I escalated it to advanced technical support.

Harv
    Last edited by hrlaser; 09/27/2006 at 05:56 PM.
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    Thanks for the update Harv!
    i appreciate the update too..... in the meatime i know i reloaded DA to do 411 lookups in the meantime
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Perhaps someone can help me. I removed On Demand because it kept telling me it wanted to update but when I clicked on the update button it would just produce an error. I thought I could just reload the original version from the CD, but on inspection I don't find it on the CD that came with my 700P and I can't seem to find a version online. Anyone know where I can redownload this app? Thanks!
    Twitter: @dvdmon

Quote Originally Posted by dvdmon View Post
    Perhaps someone can help me. I removed On Demand because it kept telling me it wanted to update but when I clicked on the update button it would just produce an error. I thought I could just reload the original version from the CD, but on inspection I don't find it on the CD that came with my 700P and I can't seem to find a version online. Anyone know where I can redownload this app? Thanks!
    Look in ROM for a file called "Handmark: OD Bootstrap" and run it; it will re-install On Demand for you *I believe.* I have not been through this process...

P.S.
    Please let us know the version number it installs.
    Last edited by copernicus; 09/29/2006 at 09:29 AM.
    ok weird. today out of blue after playing with 4info decided hey lets see if OnD 411 is working again, and amazing enough it was! now if this is a rarity or a server side fix is obviously to be determined. looking quick at version number it is now 1.1.1541

any other users see this??
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    Look in ROM for a file called "Handmark: OD Bootstrap" and run it; it will re-install On Demand for you *I believe.* I have not been through this process...

P.S.
    Please let us know the version number it installs.
    You are right. It installed version 1.1.1541.
    I had placed an trouble ticket with Sprint and Saturday Customer Service called and said there is a bug with OnDemand and they pushed out a temporary fix. They are supposed to have a permanent fix on Oct 20. Not sure what it entails but thats what I was told. And surprised I was told anything. We will see what happens on the 20th.
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    I just started using On Demand after I heard there was (temporarily) no charge for premimum services.

After tapping on OnDemand, it wen through some sort of intall and is currently at v. 1.1.1541. It seems to be working without problems/issues.
    Late '08 MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB HD 7200; Mid 2011 MacBook Air 11" 1.6GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD; 32GB iPhone 4; 32GB WiFi iPad 2 (White); Apple TV; Nikon D300; AND (Hopefully) a 16GB HP Touchpad from the fire sale! TWITTER: @RobT43
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Here's my question.. What about the Whitescreen of death? I did a hard reset recently, which helped the phone out (hadn't done one since converting from a T650 so figured it was time to bite the bullet and reload things). I put Handmark Express back on there - newest version, and it was working great for about a week. Then, it just stopped. Run any express app, White screen of death. My past experience was that I had this happen when trying to put OD in. Even though I'm paid on Express, I'd use OD if I could if that'll work. Anyone have any idea what causes the white screen?
    I posted this on another thread, thought it might be useful here too... even after trying all the re-install/update/Express suggestions, I was still getting the white screen on Page One.

Ok, so I remembered there were problems between Express and PXA Clocker on the Treo 650, so I tried deleting PXA Clocker. I wasn't even using PXA Clocker (version 5.1), because it would completely hang my 700p when it would turn off... I'd have to remove the battery to get it to reboot.

Anyway, apparently even PXA Clocker being off causes On Demand/Express to hang on Page One. I deleted it (it'll say it couldn't be deleted, but it's actually gone, though I did a reset just in case), and now Page One comes up fine.

This is after having already deleted On Demand completely, and re-installing by running the "Handmark: OD Bootstrap" program that's in the 700p's ROM. The version is now 1.1.1541.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Sprint pushed a new version of On Demand to my 700p today. "Oh no, here we go again.. what new bugs did they add this time?" I wondered as I let it install itself while I waved a crucifix, sprinkled holy water, rubbed a rabbit's foot, fondled a four leaf clover, and chanted some mantras. (I would have banged a gong but a neighbor borrowed it and never gave it back).. After using it, I will tentatively say that they fixed the problem detailed in post #1 in this thread. I no longer get the dreaded "your trial has expired" nonsense for the "Premium" parts I pay for - TV Guide, 411, maps and directions.

About tells me it's V1.1.1556. Below that version number it displays my phone's number.

Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I just got the update notice. The previous version has been stable for me unless I attempted to move the channels to the SD card. We shall see...
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hrlaser View Post
    Sprint pushed a new version of On Demand to my 700p today. "Oh no, here we go again.. what new bugs did they add this time?" I wondered as I let it install itself while I waved a crucifix, sprinkled holy water, rubbed a rabbit's foot, fondled a four leaf clover, and chanted some mantras. (I would have banged a gong but a neighbor borrowed it and never gave it back).. After using it, I will tentatively say that they fixed the problem detailed in post #1 in this thread. I no longer get the dreaded "your trial has expired" nonsense for the "Premium" parts I pay for - TV Guide, 411, maps and directions.

About tells me it's V1.1.1556. Below that version number it displays my phone's number.

Harv
    I just got this update as well. Have you experienced any problems? Seems ok to me so far. Why are you paying for those premium channels? Aren't they all free now?
    Anybody having any problems with the 10/10/06 update?
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by procure View Post
    I just got this update as well. Have you experienced any problems? Seems ok to me so far. Why are you paying for those premium channels? Aren't they all free now?
    No problems so far {{knock wood}}. It is my understanding that TV Guide, 411, and Maps and directions are "premium" services and that when a new 700p (or 700wx for that matter) is first fired up out of the box and On Demand is first run, those premiums are free for thirty days only and after that they are $4.99/month.

News, weather, sports, money, and the other stuff on "Page one" are free.

Correct me if I'm wrong

Harv
    The auto update is working like it should now, before it wasn't.
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hrlaser View Post
    No problems so far {{knock wood}}. It is my understanding that TV Guide, 411, and Maps and directions are "premium" services and that when a new 700p (or 700wx for that matter) is first fired up out of the box and On Demand is first run, those premiums are free for thirty days only and after that they are $4.99/month.

News, weather, sports, money, and the other stuff on "Page one" are free.

Correct me if I'm wrong

Harv
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=124304
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    How do you "run it" ??
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12