Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    At long last, MSafe (which allows you to send an SMS to your lost phone in order to lock the phone or erase all data) appears to have released a new beta to enable it to work with the 700p. Here's the link. Has anyone tried it yet to see if it works?

http://www.motionapps.com/products.jsp?msafebeta
    Quote Originally Posted by mal5z View Post
    At long last, MSafe (which allows you to send an SMS to your lost phone in order to lock the phone or erase all data) appears to have released a new beta to enable it to work with the 700p. Here's the link. Has anyone tried it yet to see if it works?

http://www.motionapps.com/products.jsp?msafebeta
    I am in the process of trying it. It works well. I have locked and wiped my 700p both internal and SD card. I have only had 2 problems so far. When I locked my 700p remotely, I had reply to set to my home phone for confirmation. It got into a loop and sent the confirmation to my home phone about 30 times. I don't have SMS service from Sprint, so I was charged for about 30 messages. When I sent the code to wipe my SD card, it did it and then put my device into a "Accessed Powered" loop. I had to do a hard reset to recover. I am not sure it is designed to work this way or not. Not a big deal. A security feature?
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    I wish they would post some release notes. Modifying for 700p support only should not justify a version change from 3.9.1 to 4.0.
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    Running it too. Ben
    Testing, working well so far. Just can't tell if it stayed registered, the Register Option is gone, so I assume it is
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    I haven't had time to read just exactly how this program works, but if someone just wanted the use of your phone (i.e. to make calls), unless this thing is burned in ROM wouldn't a hard reset defeat it? And if you just wanted to protect your data wouldn't the built-in Phone Lock feature be just as effective (unless you stored personal information on a SD card)?
    Last edited by deesugar; 09/21/2006 at 05:07 AM.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    I haven't had time to read just exactly how this program works, but if someone just wanted the use of your phone (i.e. to make calls), unless this thing is burned in ROM wouldn't a hard reset defeat it? And if you just wanted to protect your data wouldn't the built-in Phone Lock feature be just as effective (unless you stored personal information on a SD card)?
    Correct: For the uninformed, a remote lock will prevent them from using the phone but for those who know how to hard reset, well they can of course use it afterwards. The real protection is for your data with the ability to wipe it and gain a confirmation via SMS.
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    It is the confirmation feature that I like. Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by todivefor View Post
    When I locked my 700p remotely, I had reply to set to my home phone for confirmation. It got into a loop and sent the confirmation to my home phone about 30 times.
    Anyone else try this with a different result? Except for that all has worked well for me. Would like to try Warden Beta, but can't download. Will probably buy mSafe.
    Quote Originally Posted by eKeith View Post
    Correct: For the uninformed, a remote lock will prevent them from using the phone but for those who know how to hard reset, well they can of course use it afterwards. The real protection is for your data with the ability to wipe it and gain a confirmation via SMS.
    What I think would really be useful (not sure if it's possible) is to be able to log onto a website and have Sprint Location-Based Services tell you where your phone is.

Or at the very least after sending a poison pill have your Treo lock the phone with the screen displaying in big letters, "THIS IS A STOLEN PHONE, PLEASE RETURN TO XXXXXX" or "THIS IS A STOLEN PHONE, PLEASE CALL XXX-XXX-XXXX FOR REWARD"

Once again not sure how possible those things are but sure would get me interested in purchasing.
    For a short time I had such service on my Nextel - it is not accurate - 1/2 a mile off was not unusual. Killed it at that.

The option for the STOLEN phone text is there - put it in the OWNER information area.

Ben
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    When I locked my 700p remotely, I had reply to set to my home phone for confirmation. It got into a loop and sent the confirmation to my home phone about 30 times.
    Mine kept sending confirmations and re-locking the Treo multiple times, even after I had unlocked it. Here is my speculation: With an ordinary SMS, I'm guessing the Treo's messaging application sends a quick confirmation to the Sprint system when it receives an SMS, letting Spring know that the message was received. If Sprint doesn't receive that confirmation, the system keeps trying to send the SMS.

When a locking SMS is sent, I think the SMS is being intercepted by the MSafe application and, as a result, the incoming SMS is not registering with Treo's messaging application and Sprint's system isn't getting a confirmation that the SMS was received. Accordingly, Sprint's system keeps resending the same SMS, MSafe keeps intercepting it, the phone keeps locking, and MSafe keeps sending out SMS's saying that the lock has been enabled.

The solution? When you unlock MSafe after locking it by SMS, immediately turn off the remote locking function on MSafe. That allows Sprint's next attempt at sending the locking SMS to go through to Treo's messaging application. At that point, Sprint's network is satisfied that the SMS got through, and it stops trying to send it. Then, you are free to turn MSafe's remote locking feature back on.

The part about the cause is speculation. But I've tried the solution and it works.
    mal5z,

Good explanation. Could have been my problem exactly Unfortunately, I don't remember if mine kept locking. Might have to try it again.
    Re: todivefor & mal5z,

Most of security applications are able to control this behaviour. I am not sure why Msafe wants users to do their work of handling unwanted remote messages.
    For e.g. Just imagine after testing one remote lock message with security application you have a meeting to attend where you have a presentation to follow of your new/modified product/service. And you have notes on your treo to refer and your device keeps on locking your device when you do not want it at all.

Re: deesugar,

I am not sure, If you have tried Warden security or not. Warden provides all these features infact way beyond [Call 911, ICE numbers, owner information, you also get extra form to display your custom reward message] you have mentioned on lock screen to make it easy for a samaritan to return the device back to rightful owner.
    Tim K
    The scene you describe has not happened to me at all. I use mSafe and TealLock. mSafe is enabled all the time and TealLock on occasion. I have never had a conflict with either one and the response notification mechanism built in to mSafe does let me know that it was successful in locking the device.

The million dollar question - have this been brought up to the developer's attention? MotionApps is not that fast, but they do eventually answer.

The remote notification feature is exactly the reason I purchased and have continued to use mSafe.

Ben
    todivefor,

Using Msafe your device was in "Accessed Powered loop" is something weird. Not a feature. Read what other users have to say about this: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=118450
    Tim K
    mal5z,

Good explanation. Could have been my problem exactly Unfortunately, I don't remember if mine kept locking. Might have to try it again.
    well mine did keep locking using msafe beta, 700P sprint
    Treoing & Loving it
    Quote Originally Posted by TimK View Post
    todivefor,

Using Msafe your device was in "Accessed Powered loop" is something weird. Not a feature. Read what other users have to say about this: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=118450
    Thought this might be intentional to force finder of 700p to a hard reset as I had to do. I really think it is an error and reported it, but not a big deal.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    The scene you describe has not happened to me at all. I use mSafe and TealLock. mSafe is enabled all the time and TealLock on occasion. I have never had a conflict with either one and the response notification mechanism built in to mSafe does let me know that it was successful in locking the device.

The million dollar question - have this been brought up to the developer's attention? MotionApps is not that fast, but they do eventually answer.

The remote notification feature is exactly the reason I purchased and have continued to use mSafe.

Ben
    Hopefully my earlier post isn't taken as a criticism of MSafe. I think it works just fine and I'm excited that it now works on the 700p. The fact that there was a little bit of screwy behavior when I tested the remote locking feature doesn't bother me because -- knock on wood -- I don't plan on losing my Treo. If I do lose my Treo, I'm not going to care that a couple extra confirmation text messages are sent. I'm just going to be happy that the remote locking feature works as advertised. And if and when I recover the lost Treo, the steps I described above easily reset the thing so that I can be prepared to lose it again. It's good software. I'd recommend it to anyone.