Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Well, I bit the bullet on the new TomTom 6 bundle from Palm and so far am pretty satisfied. As satisfied as I can be after 48 hours. However there are features / options I have not used or figured out yet. It would sure help if they included a User Manual with some comprehensive directions on using all of these features. Is there one and I missed it in my bundle? Was there one in the TomTom 5 bundle? There is nothing at the TomTom website regarding 6 at all and the Palm site only has the same quick start guides that were in the box. Are there any good sources for the use of the TomTom software? Thanks.
    MRL-MO
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Don't have the user manual either soft copy nor hard copy. They said it does have manual on the DVD, but can't find it. However, as an upgrade user from TT5, I can help you out on any feature.

BTW, so look like that you don't have any issue with TT6 such as freeze, crash? Do you run TT6 on the inlcuded 1Gb SD card and don't run any other software in the background?

I test TT6 onto 4gb Transcend 150x and 2 Gb Ultra II Sandisk, TT6 cause a lot of issues e.g. crash, freeze, and darn slow re-route calculation, especially when I run P-tunes in the background.
    TT6 is several steps back to me. Crashes, freezes, and what is slow to me is satellite acquisition. TT5 would like in seconds for me. TT6 takes several minutes and it seems to have trouble staying locked to all sats. Other than new maps (which I desparetly needed) the upgrade was not worth it for me. I am hoping Garmin's new app is much better so I can finally dump TomTom....whom I've hated to love for some time now due to poor customer support, lack of customer loyalty, and slow updates/releases.
    what model Treo are you using? Did you pay $299 from the Palm website? I'm thinking of doing just that with my 650.
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Treo 650 1.20-ENA/1.71 about 11.2 Mb free on RAM, DB Cache around 5mb. Yes. I bought from palm retails store.
    I am also getting a lot of crashes w/TomTom 6. I am also using a 4gb RiData card. I wonder if the crashes are due to the fat32 hack on the palm, or possible the 4gb card. Would be an interesting test if anyone had all the resources? (To try the tomtom 6 on a 1gb using fat32, and see if it crashes...change to fat32 and see if the crashes continue?)
  7.    #7  
    Any manuals included in your package besides the Quick Start stuff...
    MRL-MO
    Well I tried a few things to alleviate my crashes and did find something. I formatted my 4gb card using FAT32 16k clusters rather than 32 and my crashes appear to have gone away. BUT the speed is very slow...my VFS marks dropped from 735 to 635.

Anybody that can do a similar test? (that may be having the same crashing issue...)
    Alright...I tried converting back to 32K clusters and the resets came right back. So it looks like 16K clusters are all I can use to get TomTom 6 to work with my 4gb card.

Problem with the slower speed associated with 16K clusters is that the navigation is now a little bit behind.

This makes me wonder, what are the VFS marks with a 1 gb card. I wonder if a a 1 gb card formatted with 16K clusters would be faster and allow for a better TomTom experience. (Maybe this is why they use a 1gb card with TomTom.) I may have to try it if I find a good deal on a 1 gb.

Anybody know what a 1 gb card @ 16K clusters posts in VFS marks?
    I also tried the TT6 and it crashed too many in treo 650, barely to be useful. I don't know why those guys who review this navigation bundle didn't meet any crash.

The free RAM TT6 refers to means dynamic heap, not DBCACHE, let alone the free space in NVFS. If you have chatteremail running background, there is no way you can use the TT6 even one minute.

There are several ways to improve the stablity if you like TT6 (which indeed is very nice.)

1. Shut down chatteremail if you have before you use TT6.
    2. Running Web before you run TT6, which will help to recover some dynamic heap.
    3. You should be able to run the TT6 now. If you still have trouble and you are also the TT5 legal user, you can use the TT6 main problem with TT5 mapset, which is fairly stable.

So I guess the problem with the stablity is the increased request of dynamic heap (The bigger the mapset, the more dynamic heap chunk it needs.).
    Last edited by cellneuron; 09/23/2006 at 10:44 PM. Reason: TYPO
    Treo 750 unbranded T-mobile, HTC WIZARD 8125 T-MOBILE (broken), Treo 650 T-mobile 1.43/1.14 OS 5.4.8 Garnet (sold).
    Dell X50v, X30 624Mhz and HP ipaq h2210 h1945.

Treo 750 hacks thread.
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Guys, see how REALLY fast the advertised FAST cards are (sandisk ultra II and Transcend 150x, this case)! This result was performed on my Treo 650 with FAT32 modification.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...ve/VFSmark.jpg
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mlemke View Post
    Any manuals included in your package besides the Quick Start stuff...
    Pls kindly check post #2, the 1st sentence. Tks.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by treoluv View Post
    Pls kindly check post #2, the 1st sentence. Tks.
    Got it. I am sure there are others that have the package that may have located a comprehensive manual. Thanks.
    MRL-MO
    Any word on when TomTom will allow us to upgrade? This kinda sucks, since there's no loss to Palm or TomTom, since the customers for the upgrade (who already have their product and GPS) and the ones for this package (who clearly don't) have almost no overlap.
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    tomtom is tigh lips about upgrade. They don't have much info as this forum does either. PM me if you concern about upgrade.
    Waiting on upgrade info as well.

Amazon has the "software only" for TomTom 6.0 $149.00 for preorder
    (http://www.amazon.com/1T90-080-NAV6-software-only-Canada/dp/B000HZD2W6/sr=8-21/qid=1159281738/ref=sr_1_21/104-4951779-6521520?ie=UTF8&s=electronics)
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
    Ok, did I jsut make a big mistake by ordering the Palm GPS Navigator Smartphone Edition 2 (TomTom 6) for Treo 650 bundle? Im not a heavy user and the only non-standard ap I have on my T650 is PdaNet but I dont want crashes or slow performance. What if I jsut use the included 1gig card that has the maps preinstalled?
    Dave
    Sprint Pre User Who LOVED his Pre but left for a more supported phone (EVO Shift)...maybe one day Sprint & HP will see the light and bring us a great 4g capable Pre replacement!
    I think the biggest problem depends on the maps you're using; if you use a regional map it seems to be much faster, but using the entire US and Canada map really slows things down.
    Is it easy to pull off the region u want and load it on another SD card?
    Dave
    Sprint Pre User Who LOVED his Pre but left for a more supported phone (EVO Shift)...maybe one day Sprint & HP will see the light and bring us a great 4g capable Pre replacement!
    Use the program on the disc and you just pick and choose using that.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast