Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by usulsuspct View Post
    Well I tried a few things to alleviate my crashes and did find something. I formatted my 4gb card using FAT32 16k clusters rather than 32 and my crashes appear to have gone away. BUT the speed is very slow...my VFS marks dropped from 735 to 635.

Anybody that can do a similar test? (that may be having the same crashing issue...)
    Standard formating cluster using Card Info of the Treo 650 is 4k. Thanks for the 16k tip, I will be formating to that instead. I used to have 32k but it wont allow the camera app to record past 3 minutes. Doing so will cause the app to hang. 4k works but is extremely slow but hopefully 16 will be better. Cheers! It aint that bad. : )

Update:

16k causes the camera app to crash upon saving. Read somewhere that 8k works. I will update after my test
    Last edited by MFB; 10/05/2006 at 11:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by cellneuron View Post
    I also tried the TT6 and it crashed too many in treo 650, barely to be useful. I don't know why those guys who review this navigation bundle didn't meet any crash.

The free RAM TT6 refers to means dynamic heap, not DBCACHE, let alone the free space in NVFS. If you have chatteremail running background, there is no way you can use the TT6 even one minute.

There are several ways to improve the stablity if you like TT6 (which indeed is very nice.)

1. Shut down chatteremail if you have before you use TT6.
    2. Running Web before you run TT6, which will help to recover some dynamic heap.
    3. You should be able to run the TT6 now. If you still have trouble and you are also the TT5 legal user, you can use the TT6 main problem with TT5 mapset, which is fairly stable.

So I guess the problem with the stablity is the increased request of dynamic heap (The bigger the mapset, the more dynamic heap chunk it needs.).
    Have you tried using UDMH to increase dynamic heap?
    As of this morning, Tomtom is offering Nav 6 software for PDAs with Maps for Western Europe. Eurs 130-. US maps are still available only in the bundle and only from Palm. So much for October?
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Has anyone been able to set up the TomTom Plus with the Navigator 6? I just recieved mine today, and i'm in the middle of shifting my thinking from Garmin to TomTom, but I went to the TomTom website, and Navigator 6 isn't even an option for a product to register!
    Quote Originally Posted by duandcc View Post
    Ok, did I jsut make a big mistake by ordering the Palm GPS Navigator Smartphone Edition 2 (TomTom 6) for Treo 650 bundle? Im not a heavy user and the only non-standard ap I have on my T650 is PdaNet but I dont want crashes or slow performance. What if I jsut use the included 1gig card that has the maps preinstalled?
    Well, I am HAPPY to report, its working wonderful on my T650. No crashes and seems to be running fast enough. It takes a bit longer than I expectedto calculate the initial directions to a new address, but otherwise doesnt seem overly slow. I am using it as it was out of the box, no alterations. No crashes, no errors, jsut a good stable nav ap.

Question: I want to buy a SD card that I will transfer regional maps to and only use the OEM card when I really need the whole USA. I want a good highspeed card. I am assuming that the T650 can actually take advantage of the high speed cards...but is that a good assumption? No need to buy a super high speed card if the T650 itself would be a bottleneck. LOL Also, is it true that the T650 has a limitation of 2Gig?
    Dave
    Sprint Pre User Who LOVED his Pre but left for a more supported phone (EVO Shift)...maybe one day Sprint & HP will see the light and bring us a great 4g capable Pre replacement!
    Quote Originally Posted by duandcc View Post
    Also, is it true that the T650 has a limitation of 2Gig?
    Theres a hack to get around this limitation that lets the Treo use FAT32.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Theres a hack to get around this limitation that lets the Treo use FAT32.
    I am using this "hack" which is the fat32.prc. I am unhappy to report that I haven't been able to get TT6 to work without crashes.

The suggestion to stop chatter email was helpful as it got rid of the DBcache problem, so I was finally able to at least start the program. I have been testing it using a 1GB SD card (Kingston), which gives me all the formatting options I want.

"Standard" fat32 formatting: immediate crashes. I have now tried 8k, 16k, and 32k in both fat and fat32, with different levels of stability (and sometimes awful performance). The ultimate test, which all have failed so far, is voice prompts. Once the voice comes on, the Treo will reset

None of this is an issue with version 5, which I am using on a 4GB PQI SD card without any problems.

Another interesting quirk I have experienced: sometimes, starting TT6 will change the Treo's clock After a while, the network time will change that back, but I have no idea how this could happen.

I'd love to hear more experience reports from others. The new maps definitely are newer which would be helpful here in Boston (Big Dig...). But so far, this version is not ready for prime time.
    Quote Originally Posted by DougKoz View Post
    Any word on when TomTom will allow us to upgrade? This kinda sucks, since there's no loss to Palm or TomTom, since the customers for the upgrade (who already have their product and GPS) and the ones for this package (who clearly don't) have almost no overlap.
    "...almost no overlap." There is almost no overlap between GSM and CDMA markets either. Nonetheless, Palm is committed to forcing as many to CDMA as they can. This is the same sick strategy. We are so loyal that they pay no penalty and may make a small gain.

If I cannot get new TomTom maps soon, I may move back to Mapopolis.
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Just outta curiousity. Has anyone used this package on a Palm TX?
    Bad news. Nav 6 (software only) US and Canada, which has been on Tomtom.com as "Coming Soon," has now disappeared.
    Strange that they would pull it...it's not THAT bad on my T650 and I would expect it to be jsut that much better on my new T700p. Or am I wrong about that expectation?
    Dave
    Sprint Pre User Who LOVED his Pre but left for a more supported phone (EVO Shift)...maybe one day Sprint & HP will see the light and bring us a great 4g capable Pre replacement!
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    Nav 6 (software only)... has now disappeared.
    It's still listed as far as I can tell...
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    Bad news. Nav 6 (software only) US and Canada, which has been on Tomtom.com as "Coming Soon," has now disappeared.
    I just checked, and it is still listed as "Coming Soon"
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkEagle View Post
    It's still listed as far as I can tell...
    Perhaps they are playing with the page. I followed your link twice; the first time it took me to the Palm offering. The second time, I found "Coming soon." However, it is already a little late for soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnhboyd View Post
    I just checked, and it is still listed as "Coming Soon"
    Good!

(At my age one has about as much patience as a six year old. One of the nice things about having a nav system in the car is that it enables one to answer the "When are we going to be there?" question)
    What's the RAM memory footprint of TomTom5 and TomTom6? E.g., Telenav has no memory footprint since it runs completely off the SD card. Mapopolis's application can run off the SD card, but the voices must reside in RAM ... this corresponds to either 3MB for voice synthesis or 300K for canned voices.

Any word on the upgrade cost from 5->6? Our friends at TreoCentral have a $126 special on the TomTom5 software through midnight tonight, and I'm thinking about taking the plunge.
    Just for giggles, I emailed TomTom support today regarding a ver 5 to ver 6 upgrade...

Here's what I asked:

Customer (Kevin Cooke) 11/14/2006 06:46 AM

It seems that you've been shipping version 6 for the Treo for a little while now. When will you make a version 6 upgrade available for the version 5 users?

Thanks in advance.
    And what they said:

Response (TT Joshua) 11/14/2006 11:10 AM

Dear Mr Cooke,

The map upgrade program for Navigator 5 users will be released sometime in December. We appreciate your patience anticipating this release.

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support.
    Just in time for the holidays.
    Quote Originally Posted by kd_cooke View Post
    Just for giggles, I emailed TomTom support today regarding a ver 5 to ver 6 upgrade...

Here's what I asked:

And what they said:
    Welcome to 2007. Do I remember correctly that they once said October? Aren't you ready yet to pay for a GPS that you do not need in order to get software that you do? Doing business with Palm is like a bad marriage.
    Last edited by whmurray; 11/14/2006 at 10:06 PM.
    Maybe they are working on the problems reported by the people who purchased the Palm package? I can hope, anyway.

John
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12