1.    #1  
    Has anyone loaded the Versamail 3.5 upgrade in ROM? Which files need to be swapped?
  2.    #3  
    I saw that thread. I do not have one of the carriers which allows me to download the Blackberry Connect software from the Palm site.

Are they other alternatives?
  3. gw1
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    If you've obtained the Versamail 3.5 upgrade, you can follow the same steps after running the installer but before hotsyncing to get the files. I did that and had no problems creating a custom rom.
    Quote Originally Posted by gw1 View Post
    If you've obtained the Versamail 3.5 upgrade, you can follow the same steps after running the installer but before hotsyncing to get the files. I did that and had no problems creating a custom rom.
    I have a couple of questions:

1) Did you delete the old .bprcs from the stock ROM, replacing them with .prcs from the BBC install, or did you just throw in the new stuff without deleting the old?

2) Did you have to rename the newer .prcs to .brpc, or do they work fine in ROM as .prcs?

Thanks in advance.
  5. gw1
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    I deleted the bprc files (for all files that had prcs) and left the extensions of the prcs alone.

Just be careful not to miss any - I missed one relating to categories and it caused all sorts of issues
    Thanks GW1, I have crammed the newer WorsaMail into ROM using that method and everything's humming along as it should.
    What is the advantage of versa mail 3.5 over 3.1. Anyone have an idea? Particularly for non-exchange users.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Taylor View Post
    Thanks GW1, I have crammed the newer WorsaMail into ROM using that method and everything's humming along as it should.
    Chris, I too would like to add my purchased VM3.5 into a custom ROM...which method did you use...there seems to be so many methods at this point, it's a bit confusing and I certainly don't want to screw this up
    Quote Originally Posted by wdunn View Post
    Chris, I too would like to add my purchased VM3.5 into a custom ROM...which method did you use...there seems to be so many methods at this point, it's a bit confusing and I certainly don't want to screw this up
    My T650 is kind of a mess, RAM-wise, as I had BlackBerry Connect installed into RAM initially, then partially uninstalled it as it was causing my wireless data rates to skyrocket (Rogers.com has seriously poor BB data plans). The BBC uninstall procedure on the device is not comprehensive by any means and you have to manually figure out what it replaced / added and then go about finding all the leftover fragments and deleting them. Quite the PITA. If you have never fully installed BB Connect or the VM 3.5 upgrade, then don't worry about this part.

After that was done I launched the grack.com ROMTool, put the T650 into bootloader mode (reset device while cabled and pressing hotsync button) and downloaded my T650's existing, slightly modified ENA 1.20 (firmware 1.71) ROM to a temp folder (C:\Temp\T650ExistROM) on my laptop. This was Jamesgangut's Cust 2 ENA 1.20 ROM (ENA 1.20 + FAT32, minus Tutorial, RealPlayer).

I copied the existing ROM into a new folder (C:\Temp\T650NewROM), to preserve the old ROM in case things went south. Then I launched Palm Desktop, created a new user called TempUser, and ran the BB Connect install to extract the VersaMail 3.5 files, selecting the TempUser account when prompted. I did not complete the first BBC hotsync but cancelled the installation. The BBC files get placed in C:\Program Files\Palm\TempUser\Install. I imagine that with the VersaMail upgrade it does the same sort of thing, extracting the files to a specified user account's folder before proceeding with the Hotsync. You do NOT want to proceed with the Hotsync, you just want to extract the files.

Then located the extracted files in Palm\TempUser\Install and I copied individual VM 3.5 files (listed in this post) from the TempUser\Install folder into the T650NewROM folder, one at a time. If a .bprc file existed with the same name as the new .prc (i.e. you have both AboutBoxLib.prc and AboutBoxLib.bprc), I deleted the old .bprc. I left .bprc files that had the same filename but ended with _enUS (i.e. leave AboutBoxLib_enUS.bprc). You must do this for all 41 files listed in Cryptooth's post. I also added PowerRUN and Filez 6.8.3 to the ROM for my own convenience.

Then I used the ROMTool to upload C:\Temp\T650NewROM to the T650. After the new ROM folder has been compressed, you have to hit the Upload button in ROMTool to transfer it to the device. When that is done you can reset the device normally and wait for it to boot. Congrats, your ROM is updated!

In my case I had to warm reset the device (push 5-way pad UP and keep holding UP while resetting T650; do not release 5-way from UP position until regular Phone dialer screen displays) to delete the many locked apps whose protected .prcs had already been transferred to RAM from my prior BBC install. This was to purge the remaining artifacts of my prior BB Connect install as certain apps (Contacts, Address, Memo, Tasks, AirSAM, BgService, etc) got chucked into RAM for BB Connect operation and could not otherwise be purged without a hard reset or a warm reset. If you have never completed a FULL BB Connect installation with the two Hotsyncs, or a full VM 3.5 installation, then you can skip the warm reset and manual app purging. If you installed VM 3.5 to RAM previously then you should probably do a warm reset and kill off the RAM versions of the apps, since they are now part of your new ROM. I went through the files on Cryptooth's post and deleted any variant of those files that I found in RAM.
    Last edited by Chris Taylor; 09/21/2006 at 11:09 AM.
    Thank you very much for taking the time to put this together...much appreciated!

I'll attempt to tackle this over the next day or two...
    Quote Originally Posted by CL Lo View Post
    What is the advantage of versa mail 3.5 over 3.1. Anyone have an idea? Particularly for non-exchange users.

Thanks
    For Exchange users the advantage is OTA contact sync. Not sure there is an advantage for non-Exchange users.

For me Versamail 3.5 was a step backwards. With 3.0 I did not experience the dreaded AirSAMstatemachine.c error message. I could use a self-signed SSL certificate on my Exchange server (rather than buy a commercial SSL certificate).

I can't imagine sticking Versamail into ROM. I'm very afraid.

The PalmOS's inability to solve the Exchange Server problem is driving me to WM. Versamail can't do it completely and reliably. Chatter, I am confident, WOULD be reliable, but the Exchange plugin isn't here yet. I would gladly stick with PalmOS but I think next month I will own a T-Mobile Dash and then a 750 when the unlocked versions come on the market. Goodbye 650, with some sadness.