1.    #1  
    Hello all,

I use "Profiles" on my Treo all the time. It is useful, robust and mostly does the job without any fuss.

But I have a question about this strange note "For expert use only!" that appears in the "Applications" section of the profiles set-up dialog box.

Now, the questions:
    • How does one set-it-up to use "Applications" Anybody else using this feature?
    • What does "C" and "D" stand for? ("C" for "Code" and "D" for "Data"?)
    My experiments with trying to use this feature have ended in resets. (Enable a program, save and exit, start-up profiles -> reset, sometimes multiple times -> profiles disabled automatically)

Any clues?

- mvk

PS: no explanation of this feature appears anywhere on the web
    Last edited by GreenHex; 09/18/2006 at 04:32 AM. Reason: added PS
    bump
  3.    #3  
    However, the following cryptic instructions do appear in the distributed instructions...
    ---

6.3 Application Integration
    Applications - (!!! for integration experts only !!! you can set up which applications are being 'notified' when profiles are being switched. You can configure at most three different applications to be notified when a new profile is going to be activated. For an application to be notified you have to check the related checkbox, select the name of an the application (currently only 'appl' and 'panl' types are offered) and specify a launch command to be sent to the application upon its call. Optionally you can specify a 15 characters long data sent to the application when invoke.

// info for developers

during a profile switch Profiles calls:

Err SysAppLaunch (UInt16 cardNo, LocalID dbID, UInt16 launchFlags, UInt16 cmd, MemPtr cmdPBP, UInt32 *resultP)

on each of defined applications with:

- 'cmd' equal to a numeric value specified in the 'C:' (Command) field in 'Appliactions' panel.
    - 'cmdPBP' pointing to the following 'C' structure:

typedef struct {
    char *data;
    UInt16 profileVer;
    ProfileRecType *profile;
    } ProfileExtAppData;

where:
    - 'data' points to a (optional, max 15 characters) string specified in the 'D:' (Data) field.
    - 'profileVer' contains the actual version of the Profiles database (More information upon an e-mail request).
    - 'profile' points to a 'C' internal opaque structure representing an actualy selected profile (More information upon an e mail request).

---
    Can anybody figure out what this means?
    It means that if you're a software developer, you can write your program such that it receives and acts on a notification that the profile has changed.

If an application hasn't been coded to deal with this specific notification from profiles, and you try to set it up in Profiles, there only 2 likely outcomes. The program will completely ignore it, or the program will choke on it, causing a reset.

I'm not currently aware of any programs specifically written to interact with profiles, so this option is useless at the present time.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  5.    #5  
    Wow! thanks meyerweb!

It is too sad that no applications have been written to make use of this nifty feature.

With that, any further experiments are aborted till further notice.