1.    #1  
    Hi, I have a Cingular 8125 with Goodlink. It was working fine, until I had to do a hard reset. Of course, this required me to reinstall all the apps. However, when it came to re-installing Goodlink, it did not work. The OTA installation seemed to go fine, until it tried to start up. Then I got this message "Place in the cradle and run setup up personalize your handheld". Of course, there is no setup program on my desktop computer, so this message makes no sense whatever. I even downloaded PC software from the Good site, but nothing there seemed helpful or relevant.

I am running client version 4.8 (no option to upgrade to 4.9, since I work for a BIG COMPANY and I have no idea on what continent the IT department is, leave alone get them to do an upgrade; I have tried!).

What can I do?

-Kal.
    Have you tried get.good.com?
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
  3.    #3  
    Yes, Swieder! That's how I did the OTA installation... went to get.good.com, installed the OTA installer, and launched it to get the rest of the installation package over the air (after supplying my mail address and PIN). All that worked fine, except the last step, when it actually launches the Goodlink software; that's where I get the nonsensical error message, and I can't go any further.

Based on stuff I have read here, and other places, I believe the problem is that the server has my password, but the client does not (since it is newly setup); so, instead of just asking me for the password, it puts up this message. I am sure it made sense to someone sometime in the past (perhaps when the setup was done via Activesync, instead of OTA as it is done now), but at this point, it makes no sense!

Thanks for the suggestion though...

-Kal.
    Last edited by kkrishnan; 09/18/2006 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Typo correction
  4.    #4  
    Hi, any suggestions? I am dead in the water here!

-Kal.
    Try having your Good Admin remove you then re-add you and send you new OTA info
  6.    #6  
    Thanks GoodGuy. I will try that as soon as I can raise somebody in the Good Admin department (trouble ticket has been sitting with no action since Sunday!)

For the future, is there a way to avoid this hassle? If a hard reset needs to be performed, how can I do it, without requiring Admin intervention?

-Kal.
    Do a back-up each time there is a new version of GMM pushed to your phone. You should be able to reinstall from that point. Also, make the recommendation to your Admin that they set the OTA PIN to never expire. Then, you will always be able to OTA using the same PIN. I got a new Moto Q and had to hard reset a couple of times and used the same OTA each time with no problems.
  8.    #8  
    Thanks again, GoodGuy. When the original PIN was issued, it clearly stated that it is a "never expire" PIN. So, that cannot be the problem. This is some other issue going on. Now I am really at a loss!

-Kal.
    Once you use the PIN to activate your device, it can't be used again. The "never expire" means that you can wait indefinately to activate your device as the PIN won't expire. (BB Enterprise Activation, for example, has a password that expires if not used w/in 2 days.)

Your best bet is, as GoodGuy said, get removed and re-added. Once you're re-added and have GL installed on the device, make a backup to your SD card so if you need to recover you can do so quickly. Just don't forget your backup password as it's, AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $not$ $recoverable$. ($At$ $least$ $not$ $from$ $the$ $GL$ $server$.)
    | Ted Johnson | Tech Support Lead, Lanlogic Inc | www.lanlogic.net |
    Quote Originally Posted by TedJ View Post
    Once you use the PIN to activate your device, it can't be used again. The "never expire" means that you can wait indefinately to activate your device as the PIN won't expire. (BB Enterprise Activation, for example, has a password that expires if not used w/in 2 days.)

Your best bet is, as GoodGuy said, get removed and re-added. Once you're re-added and have GL installed on the device, make a backup to your SD card so if you need to recover you can do so quickly. Just don't forget your backup password as it's, AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $not$ $recoverable$. ($At$ $least$ $not$ $from$ $the$ $GL$ $server$.)
    Not entirely correct. With 4.9 and the ability to have more than one device per account, you can set the PIN to never expire. I have used the same one several times over the last month.
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy View Post
    Not entirely correct. With 4.9 and the ability to have more than one device per account, you can set the PIN to never expire. I have used the same one several times over the last month.
    sounds like he is not running 4.9 (what an awesome upgrade that was!)

You have no other recourse but to wait for your ticket to be resolved. Inthe future though you should always make a backup from your Good Preferences screen.

HTH!
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalvor View Post
    sounds like he is not running 4.9 (what an awesome upgrade that was!)

You have no other recourse but to wait for your ticket to be resolved. Inthe future though you should always make a backup from your Good Preferences screen.

HTH!
    We are running 4.9, I just, uh, forgot. Yeah, that's it!
    | Ted Johnson | Tech Support Lead, Lanlogic Inc | www.lanlogic.net |
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    [QUOTE=TedJ;1089650]Once you use the PIN to activate your device, it can't be used again. The "never expire" means that you can wait indefinately to activate your device as the PIN won't expire. (BB Enterprise Activation, for example, has a password that expires if not used w/in 2 days.)

QUOTE]

Sorry, but that is completely untrue. I have over 200 devices configured on GoodLink and have reused the same OTA pin on several occassions. The only time the original PIN won't work is if you get a new CDMA device or a new GSM SIM card as the GoodLink account is tied to the ESN of a CDMA device or the IMSI number of a GSM SIM. On some occassions I have run into the issue described here and have found re-creating the account fixes it. Some times I have to have the support team at Good delete their records for the device as well, but not every time.
    Last edited by ea0423; 09/22/2006 at 12:25 PM.
  14.    #14  
    OK, just to close out the thread... my problem is resolved, but I am not entirely sure what did it!

1. I finally got my ticket worked on by an IT tech, and she suggested the same remedy as you guys suggested, namely remove and re-add me on the server side, perform a hard reset on my PDA, and re-install OTA. I did exactly that, and ended up at exactly the same point, namely, the lame message to "insert into cradle and run the setup program". Bummer.

2. I then thought that maybe something was surviving even after a hard reset, maybe in my CF card; or, maybe something was getting restored when I did an activesync after the hard reset to restore contacts etc. So, I just removed my CF card, did a hard reset again, and installed the Goodlink program FIRST, before doing any activesync or anything else with the PC. This time it worked! After that I put the CF card back, and did activesync to restore contacts etc, then re-installed other programs. After this, I made a Goodlink backup as the first act!

Thanks for all your help. This is a great forum.