1. CLB
    I have been a little disgusted that my bluetooth Garmin GPS10 and Que software will not work with my 650. It tunes sattelites forever and never sends coordinates. It seems to work fine with my laptop.
    650 Bluetooth implementation?
    Add that to the fact that I would rather not carry an extra device around (assuming it worked) and...

I am considering defecting to PPC-GPS-phone.

The main objective would be incorporation of GPS into the smartphone. That narrows the playing field. The HP HW 69xx series looks interesting except for the 240^2 display. Bluetooth, WiFi, IR and quad band phone look fine.
    I don't know what software incompatibilities the display may cause. The GPS is not Sirf III but seems to get decent reviews.
    Mapping software would be ok since it comes on the phone.

The other application I use regularly is a programmable RPN calculator, PowerOne Graph which I would have to find a replacement for.
    Other than that, most of what I run are workarounds for various 650 foibles.

Anything else I should look at?
    Wait for something similar in QVGA sans keyboard?
  2. Nok
    I'm using a Holux GR236 Sirf III bluetooth gps with Street Atlas 2006 that I found on eBay for $100. Works great for me and have used it on several long trips. It also features voice navigation. The software takes some getting used to at first. Also got the powered pda car mount which powers both the 650 and the gps. Always get fast aquisition and haven't had any problems inside any of the vehicles I've used it in. With the Garmin eMap I had, I always had to have an external antenna just to acquire anything when inside a vehicle. It's pretty small too which is an added bonus. The ebay seller's name is u415. Check it out. I wasn't disappointed

I wish the 650 came with WiFi. Thats one of the few things I'm not real impressed with by the 650. Gonna try out that sled by Enfora and see how that works out.
    Garmin GPS 10 Bluetooth works great for me. The BT connection pairs faster and easier to the 650 than any other BT device I have that connects to the 650. Are you sure your BT is enabled? If you have DUN enabled via the Shadowmite BT hack, no other BT devices will connect. Look at your Bluetooth manager page and see what you've got. Just a soft reset will restore the default (DUN off, normal BT enabled). Also, once in a while (but not often) I have to disconnect/reconnect to make the BT communication work.

In terms of the converged device, I'm not sure one really wants that. Usually you need the GPS unit on the dashboard to get a good signal, and if the GPS is in the phone you may not be able to place it somewhere where you can read the display and get a good signal, depending of course on your car's geometry.
    If you had a windshield suction mount for the HP, I imagine the positioning would be adequate for GPS signal acquisition, but I don't have any personal experience with the unit. That is how I mount my Garmin iQue 3600 and it works just fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobodobo View Post
    Garmin GPS 10 Bluetooth works great for me. The BT connection pairs faster and easier to the 650 than any other BT device I have that connects to the 650. Are you sure your BT is enabled? If you have DUN enabled via the Shadowmite BT hack, no other BT devices will connect. Look at your Bluetooth manager page and see what you've got. Just a soft reset will restore the default (DUN off, normal BT enabled). Also, once in a while (but not often) I have to disconnect/reconnect to make the BT communication work.
    I've just started using a Garmin GPS 10 on my 650 and can not praise it enough.

The actual turn by turn navigation is not quite as good as my Navman set up, but it's still supported, unlike the Navman, and it loads in about 1/2 a second and you can swap in and out which make it really good.

I had a major conflict with UnCache, but once I turned that off I have not looked back.

100% a brilliant 650 app
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
  6. CLB
    Interesting that GPS10 is working for some.

FWIW...

Bluetooth is enabled, DUN disabled. Pairing is not the issue. GPS10 pairs with the 650 quickly and communicates. I see sattellites being tuned up on the GPS screen.

So far so good. Seems to be working.

My issue is that no matter how many sattellites tune up the GPS10 never sends the position fix to the treo. Instead it gets stuck "Looking for sattellites" forever.
    I can leave it sit until the batteries go dead, no position fix.

Any ideas?
    If you are connected, then my question would be, where are you placing the GPS receiver? Some have you tried it outdoors or on the roof of your car where you have a clear view of the sky in all directions? A word of caution on that - some cars have some metallic layer in the windshield safety glass, so you GPS signals don't pass though it, and thus the receiver won't work if placed on the dashboard.

If you can't get a signal with a clear view of the sky, but the BT connection is working, then it seems like you have a bad GPS receiver. Although the GPS 10 isn't top-of-the-line Sirf III, it still works pretty well. I can get a perfect location fix with the GPS 10 inside my (wood frame) house, in a room that's directly under a huge oak tree.
  8. CLB
    The problem is not GPS receiver or signal strength related.

The GPS pairs and talks to the Treo.
    The GPS screen pops up on the Treo.
    I may get 6-10 sattellites tuned in with excellent strength.

The software/GPS never seem to realize enough sattellites are tuned in. The TREO never receives a position fix even though plenty of sattellites are tuned in.

I don't believe this is a GPS10 problem because it works fine with my laptop.
    I don't believe this has anything to do with Bluetooth pairing because it automatically links up and gives me the GPS ststus screen.

In short, it seems to do everything except tell me where I am.

And...
    The GPS10 works great with my laptop.
    Sorry I was a little slow to understand your situation... I got confused when you suggested a BT connection issue in your first email.
    Anway, I presume you've tried re-installing Que? Rarely do things like that help, but I can't think of anything else to suggest.
  10. CLB
    I am arriving at the conclusion that the laptop an palm based packages talk to the GPS10 in a different manner and that my GPS10 has a problem.

I can communicate with the GPS10 via Garmin SNSRCFG so long as the GPS10 is in NEMA mode. I can download, change and upload configurations to the GPS10 in NEMA mode.
    As soon as I change the GPS10 to Garmin mode, SNSRCFG drops the connection to the GPS10 and there does not seem to be any way to reconnect. All SNSRCFG can do at this point is switch the GPS10 back to NEMA mode.

In short, I believe my GPS10 is having trouble communicating in Garmin mode which Que software requires.

Maybe a hosed firmware upgrade? Who knows? I would reflash the GPS10 but the only means is Garmin web update. Web update sees the latest configuration stamp and goes no further.
    Quote Originally Posted by CLB View Post
    Interesting that GPS10 is working for some.

FWIW...

Bluetooth is enabled, DUN disabled. Pairing is not the issue. GPS10 pairs with the 650 quickly and communicates. I see sattellites being tuned up on the GPS screen.

So far so good. Seems to be working.

My issue is that no matter how many sattellites tune up the GPS10 never sends the position fix to the treo. Instead it gets stuck "Looking for sattellites" forever.
    I can leave it sit until the batteries go dead, no position fix.

Any ideas?
    Yes. Exit and restart the application only after you are satisfied that the GPS has acquired the satellites.
  12. CLB
    Thanks whmurray,

That didn't seem to make any difference. It still won't make it past the acquiring satellites phase. It tunes in a bunch of them, just doesn't download position information.