76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Great, as good as it gets!

15 19.74%
  • Okay, not outstanding, not bad

34 44.74%
  • I love my Treo but as a phone it could be better

27 35.53%
  1.    #1  
    I am curious what everyone feels about their Treo as a phone? Not a organizer, not a Palm device but as a phone.
    It was unacceptable before the last sw/fw update and adding VolumeCare. After those additions all has been good for a bit over a year now.
    Using BT it's perfect. Hand held is ok (matter of form not function). Never done wired headset.
    Nik<hr>M100 --->M125 --->M500 --->Treo300 --->Sprint-Treo600 --->Sprint-Treo650
    <hr>
    Rom 8:31 <'><
    <marquee bgcolor=red width=150 height=5>
    1 in 150 babies born today will have some form of Autism
    </marquee>
    Unlocking Autism Mission Trips to Honduras My Space
    As a phone I would rate it a C+. The volume is way too low unless you get VolumeCare. Even then, there is distortion. The speakerphone is terrible and there are major issues with BT. Finally, many people complain that the reception is below that of other phones. I have t-mo service on my Treo and also t-mo on my blackberry. There are many times when my Bberry has several bars of service and my Treo shows no signal at all.
    Factory unlocked/unbranded GSM 650 - Tmobile; FW: 1.71; SW: 1.20-ENA; Carrier DB: 255; HW: A

If I'm repeating what someone has already said look at how long the thread is and ask yourself if you really expect me to read the whole thing.
    Actually, wired I give it a 100%, handheld acceptable, BT below par.
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    As a handheld phone: dreadful. The other person can usually hear me OK, but their voice tends to break up a lot, especially in areas with a weaker signal. It normally ends with me apologising for my signal (where I should really be apologising for my 650) and telling them I'll ring later from my landline. It's not really what you have a mobile for, is it?

With BT, it's great. With speakerphone, it's passable. Just.

I'm hoping the 750v will be better but I'm not making the jump to another duff phone till I know how it performs.
    I love my treo, but as a phone (reception), I wish it were better.

And if it wasn't for VC and especially fw updates, the treo would really stink.
    Just call me Berd.
    As a phone it's passable. I went from a 13 year account with AT&T and the awsome 6100 series Nokia. I had signal everywhere with that phone/service combo. Then I wanted to combine my Palm and phone, and I got the Kyocera device (7100 I think??) That was BAD!!. Convinced VZW to replace at no cost with a Treo 600. Had so many problems keeping a signal, that they replaced that handset 3 times for me...all with little improvement. Finally went to the 650 with VZW and it's a little better...maybe a C+ at best. Barely passable in my book.
    Now I'm having all sorts of problems syncing, and I'm really starting to get tired of this whole deal. Not sure what I'm going to do.
    TheBucket
    Motorola Digital Plip --> Nokia 6100 --> Nokia 8200 --> Kyocera 7135 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650
    As a phone it is fine. Volume is fine held up to my ear. Volume is better with a BT headset. (GSM Unlocked 650 here).
    I think it is OK. I am glad someone likes it with BT, but BT sucks for me. As a handset, once I got used to it, no problems. The signal is not quite as strong across the board as my previous Sanyo or LG and after I added Phone Technican, the volume problem is no longer a problem. I just needed a little boost in the ear piece and PT gave me that for cheap!
    After the FW updates and volumecare came in. Nothing beats it now. The best phone/PDA combination.

As a generic phone what else recorde calls as well as a Treo does. I love it!
    R
    Chan
    Treo 680 Mobitel GSM Sri Lanka.
    My TREO 650 has served me well. I've had the same unit for 1.5yrs now and just love it as a PDA, Phone (wired, not wired and BT), MP3 Player, video player, game machine, alarm clock, web browser, email, voice recorder, simple camcorder, simple camera to help capture those spur of the moment pictures. Dang - this thing is awesome!

Sam
    Visor Phone, Treo 180, Treo 270, Nokia 3650, Treo 650, Treo 680, Treo 800w
    It is awful as a phone even with volumecare. I am with Sprint and cannot receive calls clearly at home or my office. Everything goes straight to voicemail or if I connect the call is dropped.
    Quote Originally Posted by cscott44 View Post
    It is awful as a phone even with volumecare. I am with Sprint and cannot receive calls clearly at home or my office. Everything goes straight to voicemail or if I connect the call is dropped.
    Maybe I missed something here - but it sounds like your problem is the carrier and not the Treo! FWIW I'm with cingular and prior to that Tmobile - no issues with either network.

"Can you hear me now"
    Visor Phone, Treo 180, Treo 270, Nokia 3650, Treo 650, Treo 680, Treo 800w
    As a phone I think it is great! Volume sucks, but I got that taken care of with Phone Technician.

I like the wired headset - reception is very good. Haven't tried a BT headset yet.
    Unlocked Rogers GSM Treo 650, PalmOS V5.40017, Firmware: 01.71, Software: Treo650-1.20-ENA
    Modded and hacked! Custom ROM - removed RealPlayer, Todo, Tasks, Versamail, Tips, World Clock, Launcher. Added support for FAT32 SD cards.
    Software: PDAbs, Backup.NET, Uninstall Manager, Card Reader, FileZ, Power RUN, DateBk5, DocumentsToGo, HandZipper, Chatter, TakePhone, Technician, Voice Dial, TCPMP, SpashPhoto, Insaniquarium, Memory Master, Sol Free, Palma Sutra
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    Maybe I missed something here - but it sounds like your problem is the carrier and not the Treo!
    No, I'm on Vodafone UK and, even with weak signals, the voice comes through fine on other phones, even with the same SIM card. On the Treo, it's usually almost impossible to hold a conversation.