Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I use .mac for email cause I have a powerbook. Which email (snapper, versa, etc.) is compatible with this?
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    they both work as does Chatter. Simply a matter of personal preference.
  3.    #3  
    thanks!
    If you're looking for an email app Chatter is the best IMHO.
    chatter is my favorite
    "So long and thanks for all the Treos!"
    Chatter also. Versamail eventually causes problems for many people. Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoMaf View Post
    I use .mac for email cause I have a powerbook. Which email (snapper, versa, etc.) is compatible with this?
    I like chatter too, but one thing you should know is that the "push" feature, which is the best thing going for chatter, does not work on .mac mail accounts.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix View Post
    I like chatter too, but one thing you should know is that the "push" feature, which is the best thing going for chatter, does not work on .mac mail accounts.

OK, what is the "push" feature? Also, does this feature work w/ another app for .mac?
    Chatter is great for people who have IMAP email accounts - in order to get the push (notification that your email has arrived the moment it hits your server) you need IMAP, not a POP account.

The version of Versamail that shipped with the Verizon 700p, 3.51 is much better than previous versions. I have had none of the stability problems and memory issues with the current iterations that I did with previous ones.
    cellmatrix: you are mistaken. .mac can 'do' push, because .mac allows to retrieve their email using IMAP.

So, .mac will work with IMAP using either chatter or Snapper.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktdotorg View Post
    cellmatrix: you are mistaken. .mac can 'do' push, because .mac allows to retrieve their email using IMAP.

Ricktdot...this is what I was reading too. Thanks a lot for clarifying.
    I hate to break this to you (but I still HIGHLY recommend ChatterEmail anyway - it's THE BEST!!) but .Mac's IMAP servers don't support IMAP Idle which ChatterEmail needs to support IMAP push. I'm not sure if contacting Apple and suggesting it would help, but I can't think it would be that hard to implement or have, since AOL has it.... Hope this info helps!
  13.    #13  
    oh, that sucks...which one does support .mac?
    Let me re-explain - it DOES support IMAP and .Mac E-mail. In fact, I have a .Mac account and ChatterEmail works perfectly!

The problem is with push E-mail and .Mac - the .Mac IMAP server doesn't support the IDLE mode, so you have to either set it to automatically check every X minutes or keep it offline and check it manually.

Push is better than automatically checking every X minutes, because it saves battery life. That's the "big deal" and why people like/want push.

So, worry not - ChatterEmail DOES support .Mac, it just that .Mac's servers don't support IMAP IDLE, which is used for push.

Hope that helps..

Michael
  15.    #15  
    Thank you very much for clearly this up....now I'll buy Chatter!!!
    Dont want to jump the thread but, is there ANY way to get push on a POP account?
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hdhntr23 View Post
    Dont want to jump the thread but, is there ANY way to get push on a POP account?
    Short answer - no. The best you can do is set whichever program you use - chatter, Versamail, whatever to automatically check your email server every (fill in a reasonable amount of time) minutes.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Keefer Lucas View Post
    Short answer - no. The best you can do is set whichever program you use - chatter, Versamail, whatever to automatically check your email server every (fill in a reasonable amount of time) minutes.

OK, my .Mac account only checks email when I am logged into my account. Will this matter if I set chatter to check every X minutes? Since the emails wait until I log on my account is this when my Treo will receive them?
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoMaf View Post
    OK, my .Mac account only checks email when I am logged into my account. Will this matter if I set chatter to check every X minutes? Since the emails wait until I log on my account is this when my Treo will receive them?
    It will check your mac account in the background even if you do not have th chatter program open. For example if you set every 60 minutes, it will check every 60 minutes.

But you notice that chatter does not give you push email for the .mac account, like I was explaining before.

I hope someday that we can get chatter to receive true push email from .mac, that would be great, but of course would depend on .mac changing their IMAP servers to support IMAP IDLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktdotorg View Post

I think you are confusing the terms IMAP and push.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast