My setup:
    - Cingular T650
    - Outlook XP (2002) on a Windows XP laptop
    - Plain vanilla Palm OS calendar on the Palm side
    - Plain vanilla Palm OS conduits for Hot Sync
    - "Enable Network time" turned on
    - Palm's location = New York (correct)
    - Windows location = New York (correct)
    - Outlook time zone = New York (correct)

When I create an appointment in the Treo for another time zone, it appears correctly in the Treo, but offset by one or two hours in Outlook. Also, the offset for a particular appointment changes.

This is not true of every appointment or every time zone, but I can't figure out what the pattern is.

For instance, I created an appointment for 9 am in Vladivostok. It appears correctly at 8pm the prior day in the Treo, but at 9pm the prior day in Outlook. After deleting and reentering the appointment, it still appears at 8pm in the Treo, but now it appears at 10pm in Outlook.

Another example: I created an appointment for 3pm in Rome, and it appears correctly at 9am in both the Treo and Outlook. But a few days later, it has moved to 11am in Outlook (I sync a couple times a day).

But, if I turn off daylight savings time for the Central European time zone (of which Rome is part), then the appointment appears at 10:00am in the Palm and at 10:00am in Outlook - so it's consistent but still wrong.

Anyone have any ideas what's going on?

[x-posted on brighthand: http://forum.brighthand.com/showthre...8#post1412598]
    Last edited by jg70124; 09/13/2006 at 12:12 PM. Reason: New info
    Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
    More:

If you edit a time zone from within the Calendar (by selecting "Edit List" from the Time Zone drop down in the date/time picker) - which I did to turn off daylight savings time - then the Palm datebook database is irretrievably corrupted and will no longer sync with Outlook. The only way to get it to sync is to hard reset the Treo and start from scratch.

Argh.
    did you install the outlook updater from Palm's web-site? It fixed something with Timezones and outlook sync on the Treo 650.
    Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mogulman View Post
    did you install the outlook updater from Palm's web-site? It fixed something with Timezones and outlook sync on the Treo 650.
    Yes, thanks - I tried that. No luck.
    Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
    For those that might be interested

I spent 2 hours on the phone with a Palm support tech in Manila. We tried:
    1) Uninstalling Palm Desktop and Palm conduits; deleting all Palm, US Robotics, Handspring and Chapura entries in the registry; reinstalling the conduits and the Palm conduit updater. Result: no change

2) Switch to synchronizing with Palm Desktop. Result: Palm Desktop doesn't recognize time zones at all. (Duh.)

3) Change time zone setting on the Treo, my computer, and my Outlook. Result: no change in behavior.

He finally admitted he was out of ideas, and told me there is an open bug report at Palm on this.

So at the end of nearly 2 hours, I got nothing - except all my appointments, tasks and contacts were duplicated not once, but twice. Excellent!
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    I just upgraded to a Treo 680 and noticed that I have the same problem. There is a thread in the Treo 700p that says it's a problem and Palm is aware of it. I know I didn't have this problem with the Treo 650. When I create a calendar item in Outlook and synch, it would automatically add a time zone on the Treo 650 because I had "New Events Use time Zones." checked in the Treo and on the Palm Conduit. Now I'm freaking out because I travel all the time and I have to manually add a time zone to my appointments on the Treo 680 when I create a calendar event in Outlook and Synch it.
    I sympathize. My problem is similar. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    My setup:
    - Unlocked GSM T650, 1 yr old
    - Palm Desktop 4.1.4 on WinXP 2
    - Plain vanilla Palm OS calendar on the Palm side
    - Plain vanilla Palm OS conduits for Hot Sync
    - "Enable Network time" turned on
    - Palm & desktop location = Chicago (correct)
    - Am also exchanging Desktop calendar (only) with network-based Lotus Notes 6.5 via Companionlink
    - also running backup buddy 2.1.3

Suddenly, over the last month, the T650 has been randomly changing the timezones of appointments. I enter an appointment on the T650 for next Monday @ 1:00pm, CST. Synchs fine with desktop, shows 1:00pm appointment (tho of course Desktop does not show time zone), synchs fine with Notes, shows 1:00pm apppointment CDT on Notes (which can handle time zones). Couple of days later, T650 now shows appt is Monday (day never changes, only time zone) 1:00 pm PST (2 hr earlier), displayed as 3:00 on the T650 (with 1:00pm PST in parentheses). Does not occur with all entries. If I then hotsynch with Desktop, appt on Desktop Still shows as 1:00pm, also still shows on Notes as 1:00pm CDT, and remains 1:00 pm PST on the T650. Missing lots of appointments. Because we can verify correct timezone of the entry using Notes, this appears to be a T650 issue.
    Thoughts?
    Last edited by gasman2; 12/08/2006 at 03:53 PM. Reason: refine message
    I have the same problem for over 1 year now.

With no reason, it will start to move my appointments by 1 hour, then duplicate them. And I am not talking about the one siN Europe that are wrong by a few hours.

I am in Central Time (marked as such in Outlook), HotSync is set to use Time Zone for new events, and my Treo is set on Dallas time for new appointments. I noticed that often the events created in Outlook will be marked on my Treo as Saskatchewan Time Zone (even though it does not exist in the standard list) at the next sync, and then my events will be off by 1 hour. When I set them back to correct time zone and time, the next sync marks them as Free in Outlook. Marking them as Busy in Outlook will again make them off by 1 hour in the Treo at the next sync......

I tried PocketMirror, but it does not manage Time Zone, so no luck for us travelers.

Fresh ideas would be great, because I tried everything above and more (no sync on local time, setting up Saskatchewan as Central Time, etc...) with no luck.

Kaput