Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1.    #1  
    Does anyone have an idea as to when a GSM version of the 700p will be available?
  2. qb11g's Avatar
    Posts
    98 Posts
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    #2  
    99% confident that Palm will not release a GSM 700P. What is believed to be the Treo 680 (also referred to as "the Treo Low-rider" or "Nitro), will be Palm OS, GSM, UMTS/HSDPA should be released sometime before the end of this year. Hope this info helps...
  3.    #3  
    Thank you for your reply. That is very helpful. Is there any thought that a 750v version will be available in the US soon? Or that the 750v would be a significant improvement over the 680 version? Thanks again.
  4. qb11g's Avatar
    Posts
    98 Posts
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    #4  
    Not a problem at all. The 750 will be available in the states by years end with Cingular. As far as which one is better, I think the better question is which operating system do you prefer. If you prefer the Windows OS, the 750 will be the route to go. If your preference is the Palm OS, the 680 ( or whatever it will be called) is the better choice.

    A great way to figure this out (if you haven't do so already) would be to play with the Windows OS a little bit. The Sprint 700wx would almost give you an exact feel for how the 750 will operate. The Sprint rep's would be more than happy to let you take it for an in store run.
  5. #5  
    Its very very unlikely the Treo 680 will have UMTS/HSDPA, and its meant to have a VGA camera. Its basically a Treo 650 without an antenna, more memory and a smaller battery.

    Surur
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by qb11g View Post
    99% confident that Palm will not release a GSM 700P. What is believed to be the Treo 680 (also referred to as "the Treo Low-rider" or "Nitro), will be Palm OS, GSM, UMTS/HSDPA should be released sometime before the end of this year. Hope this info helps...
    I do not know. What year are you in?
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by qb11g View Post
    Not a problem at all. The 750 will be available in the states by years end with Cingular........
    And I say, "not a chance." What makes you smarter than me? What makes you smarter than Perry? I have been trying to do business with both Palm and Cingular for the better part of a decade. Who do you know that I do not know? What is your authority for this ridiculous assertion? Who are you anyway? 18 posts? Are we really supposed to take you seriously? Which color of troll are you, Palm or Cingular?

    Perry, where are you?
    Last edited by whmurray; 09/13/2006 at 07:53 PM.
  8. qb11g's Avatar
    Posts
    98 Posts
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    #8  
    Lol! Hilarious. A little insecure are we?

    Seriously, let's just say a "little mouse" told me. Also, this makes post #19. Now because 19 is soooo far removed from 18, that makes me a Treocentral vet now. Thanks a lot for the kind words lol.
    Last edited by qb11g; 09/13/2006 at 10:36 PM.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by qb11g View Post
    Lol! Hilarious. A little insecure are we?

    Seriously, let's just say a "little mouse" told me. Also, this makes post #19. Now because 19 is soooo far removed from 18, that makes me a Treocentral vet now. Thanks a lot for the kind words lol.
    Trying to wait out Palm and Cingular while all the mo is with MS and CDMA makes one a little schizoid.
  10. qb11g's Avatar
    Posts
    98 Posts
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    #10  
    No argument from me there...hence the reason I dropped my Cingular 650 and moved to Verizon. Now if we can only get Palm to give us our 700P firmware update. I believe the Treo 900 with Cricket Wireless will be out before that happens though.
  11. #11  
    whmurray,

    Is Perry paying you to advertise his name all over here?
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    whmurray,

    Is Perry paying you to advertise his name all over here?
    He could not pay my price and does not need my help.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by qb11g View Post
    No argument from me there...hence the reason I dropped my Cingular 650 and moved to Verizon. Now if we can only get Palm to give us our 700P firmware update. I believe the Treo 900 with Cricket Wireless will be out before that happens though.
    lol.

    While I have no brief for Cingular, I need GSM. I would like UMTS.

    [I have run Slingbox over EDGE to PDANet to my PC. Works well after all the chatty cathies have gone to bed.]
    Last edited by whmurray; 09/14/2006 at 06:59 PM.
  14. #14  
    whmurray - do you think it's conceivable that Vodaphone's exclusivity only applies to the geographic areas it serves? Since Vodaphone and Cingular don't directly compete, I was wondering if Palm might still be able to release a locked 750 for Cingular or T-Mobile customers.

    I need an upgrade and see WinMob assimilation inevitable, so I'm trying to decide to go with the 700p one more time, bite the WM bullet now and go with 700wx, or wait/hope for the Cingular 750v so I don't have to carry two devices when I travel in the ROW.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by tomvb2000 View Post
    whmurray - do you think it's conceivable that Vodaphone's exclusivity only applies to the geographic areas it serves? Since Vodaphone and Cingular don't directly compete, I was wondering if Palm might still be able to release a locked 750 for Cingular or T-Mobile customers.

    I need an upgrade and see WinMob assimilation inevitable, so I'm trying to decide to go with the 700p one more time, bite the WM bullet now and go with 700wx, or wait/hope for the Cingular 750v so I don't have to carry two devices when I travel in the ROW.
    If Palm were smart, they would not have granted anything to Vodafone that Vodafone did not covet.

    That said, for a number of years now I have tried to discourage people from basing their decisions on what Palm might or might not do in the future. The only pattern that I have ever been able to discern in what they do is a death wish. They are impossible to figure out in advance. Therefore, one should behave as though they have done alll they will ever do.

    Beyond that I cannot help you much because I do not understand what you mean when you say, "I need an upgrade." Add doing nothing to your list of options. Now try to maximize your enjoyment early and worry about the money late. Said another way, buy early and often but do not bet on the come. Buy the 700p or wx. If Palm ever announces something that you prefer, then buy that. Keep in mind that spread across its life, the cost of the phone is trivial when compared to the cost of service.
  16. #16  
    Ok, I admit it. I don't need an upgrade, I want an upgrade. I come from Palm->Visor->Treo300 history and bought the 600 2 days after it became available and the 650 3 days after it was available.

    I watched with interest all of Perry's PPR escapdes but then held back on the 700P as it just wasn't quite compelling enough (although I salivate over EVDO) and do enough int'l traveling to make me think about a GSM switch. Now that the 750v will have UMTS I wouldn't have to drop bandwidth from EVDO to EDGE just to get GSM. That's got me back to wanting an upgrade.

    I'm under contract with Sprint until Jan 07, so I'll have my best retentions leverage then if I want them to help pay for the upgrade. I also have the family phones sharing my 2000 minutes/unlimited everything plan, so a switch off Sprint gets a little more complicated.

    Too many options now and too little patience.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by tomvb2000 View Post
    Ok, I admit it. I don't need an upgrade, I want an upgrade. I come from Palm->Visor->Treo300 history and bought the 600 2 days after it became available and the 650 3 days after it was available.


    I watched with interest all of Perry's PPR escapdes but then held back on the 700P as it just wasn't quite compelling enough (although I salivate over EVDO) and do enough int'l traveling to make me think about a GSM switch. Now that the 750v will have UMTS I wouldn't have to drop bandwidth from EVDO to EDGE just to get GSM. That's got me back to wanting an upgrade.

    I'm under contract with Sprint until Jan 07, so I'll have my best retentions leverage then if I want them to help pay for the upgrade. I also have the family phones sharing my 2000 minutes/unlimited everything plan, so a switch off Sprint gets a little more complicated.

    Too many options now and too little patience.
    I can identify with all of that. I do not want to go WM or CDMA. So I will stay with the 650.
  18. #18  
    I assume you'd agree that a new Palm GSM/UMTS stateside is something fun to hope for. Note: I didn't say "look forward to" but I think Palm's got to release one sometime. I'd rather POS but it's inevitable I'll be assimilated into WM someyear.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by tomvb2000 View Post
    I assume you'd agree that a new Palm GSM/UMTS stateside is something fun to hope for. Note: I didn't say "look forward to" but I think Palm's got to release one sometime. I'd rather POS but it's inevitable I'll be assimilated into WM someyear.
    As I have already said, once I decide to move to WM, there will be nothing to tie me to Palm.

Posting Permissions