1.    #1  
    I would like to try out reading a book on my Prism. The MP3 player from Innogear includes software for ebooks but I think it is not compatible with the Prism and 3.5.

two questions:
    1) where can I get ebook reading software and
    2) where can I download ebooks on online.

Thanks.
    Try www.memoware.com (for mostly free books) and www.peanutpress.com (for books you buy). There are many readers out there...just do a search on VC on this topic. I personnally prefer the Peanut Reader from Peanut Press. It works well, is fairly customizable, and it's free.
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice...
    Originally posted by carlos torres
    I would like to try out reading a book on my Prism. The MP3 player from Innogear includes software for ebooks but I think it is not compatible with the Prism and 3.5.

two questions:
    1) where can I get ebook reading software and
    2) where can I download ebooks on online.

Thanks.
    Here are a few places you may want to look into that provide readers and eBooks. I have as of yet not gotten the time to give memoware much attention, but I have heard good things about it. Now Mobipocket is one I currently have on my Visor. Primarily because of the volume of free eBooks that they have available to read. Good luck in your search and please pass on your observations when you have decided on a reader.

http://www.memoware.com/
    http://www.mobipocket.com/en/HomePage/default.asp
    Just because something makes sense does not make it common sense.
    I really like tealdoc. You can get it from http://www.tealpoint.com
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    After reading several posts on this topic and trying every reader out there, I settled on Smoothy. It has a small footprint at 35K, bookmarks and per pixel scrolling. (the one thing I really like). The interface is well thought out as well. You can try it out at www.handwave.com.
    "We are the people are parents warned us about."

<b>Clark Fralick</b>
    I've tried a number of readers (PeanutPress, CSpotRun, ...), and I always come back to Isilo (http://www.isilo.com). There's a free version, as well as a free doc converter, iSiloWeb, to convert HTML and text documents to iSilo format.
    It's gotta be weather balloons. It's always weather balloons. Big, fiery, exploding weather balloons.
    -- ComaVN (from Slashdot)
    Try Fictionwise.com if you like sci-fi. These are copyrighted and well known works for sale at reasonable prices. I like TealDoc best as a reader.

NB: I also use DocsToGo, which I find screws up TealDoc constantly. To use both, install DocsToGo first. THEN install TEALDOC then add the ebooks of choice.
    If it doesn't have a slot for SDHC--I don't want it. Period.
    I think that iSilo is the best thing out there, good compression, support for formating, and the only thing that you cant do with it is edit. and it is rumored that isilo 3.0 will allow WYSISYG HTML/XML editing.

sam
    Sam Kleinman

PocketPCThoughts.com
    CollectiveArts
    Free-ePress
    Musings of a Teal Artist
    CollectiveArts TechMusings

"Everybody don't like something and we all don't like you." -- Richard Thompson, Hard Luck Stories
    Does ISILO use a proprietary format or just pdbs?

I recently visited peanut press,which has great content but is an incredibly annoying site. I don't think I can deal with them any more.

First, there's a long, annoying procedure for opening files you've paid for.

Worse, you can only read them with the Peanut Press ebook reader! So either you start carrying around multiple readers, stop dealing with Peanut Press, or ditch your long time favorites. I think I like option (b)--stop dealing with Peanut Press. I don't like being coerced in this fashion.

PS: Their reader also takes an enormous amount of memory compared to Teal Doc.
    Last edited by Mark Squires; 03/04/2001 at 06:39 AM.
    isilo uses isilo format and DOC format. The iSilo format is basicly compressed html, while the doc is plain ascii in the doc format that we know and love. you can't edit anything in isilo right now, but in the upcoming 3.0 version, I belive that you will be able to.

sam
    Sam Kleinman

PocketPCThoughts.com
    CollectiveArts
    Free-ePress
    Musings of a Teal Artist

"Everybody don't like something and we all don't like you." -- Richard Thompson, Hard Luck Stories
    My favorite Reader is CSpotrun. I like it because it allows for smooth scrolling, easy font selection, tight spacing, it's fast, and it's free. Also I like to get Adobe PDF files and convert them to Aportis Doc Files (Which CSpotRun can read.) so I can read on the computer and on my Visor.
    <FONT face="verdana,arial,helvetica" size="1" >NetCaptor and Odigo Rule!<i></font>
    "The Internet is now on computers?"
    Homer Simpson
    For an easy, quick, free reader, CSpotRun. It's great.

If you wanna buy something, my vote is for WordSmith ( http://www.bluenomad.com ) -- it has the ability to read Palm DOC files, as well as RTF and MS Word Files.

You can alse edit/create documents on the hand held with it.
    Originally posted by CaptainCaveman
    For an easy, quick, free reader, CSpotRun. It's great.

If you wanna buy something, my vote is for WordSmith ( http://www.bluenomad.com ) -- it has the ability to read Palm DOC files, as well as RTF and MS Word Files.

You can alse edit/create documents on the hand held with it.
    I think that wordsmith is a must have anyway, it provides true wordprocessing on your palm; and it even has more features the PocketPCs PocketWord, because it has a word count feature, something that PW is woefully lacking.

sam
    Sam Kleinman

PocketPCThoughts.com
    CollectiveArts
    Free-ePress
    Musings of a Teal Artist

So too does Documents To go which also has the advantage of letting you drag any word or word perfect file to the Docs To Go desktop, at which point they are automatically converted to PDB and transferred to your handheld--where they are editable.