1.    #1  
    I think this would be a useful thread for people that are thinking about upgrading to TomTom 6 or for those who have TomTom 6 and would like to get the most out of ther product.

So far I have seen the following:

Contacts
    It is now part of the application so you don't have to get out of TomTom and go to the TomTom contacts app. The only problem I've seen is that if your address is not well formatted it will tell you that there is an error but it won't allow you to correct it. Example if you have apartment numbers or suite numbers in your addresses you are going to have to enter them manually.

All Categories for POI
    This is great if you know the name of your point of interest but you are not really sure what category it is. I have spent some time playing with categories before and it is not fun.

POI on your route and POI near the end of the destination
    These is awesome too. There were many times I wanted to do this and I had to just guess what would be on my route or near the end of my destination

There are other features that I have not figure out how to use yet such as the speed limit warning. If anybody has figure that out for the US maps please let me know.

So far it looks like a great update..!

Al
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo View Post
    I think this would be a useful thread

Contacts
    if your address is not well formatted it will tell you that there is an error but it won't allow you to correct it.
    Thanks for starting the thread. More feedback on Nav 6 functionality will help us all.
    The contacts function is an interesting change to how it works with Nav 5. Built in is great, but not having the chance to edit it is bad. Can you give some more details on how it works? Does it allow you to choose between display on map or natigate to? If you can display on map, will it allow you to adjust the displayed location then navigate to the adjusted position?
  3.    #3  
    As far as I can remember it just gives you the option to enter a First/last name then you click on it and it will display the address and the only option is to navigate to the address. If it fails then gives you the option to enter the address manually. I'm going to double check though.

Al
    I'm going to double check though.
    Thinking about this some more, since the contacts function is integrated now, does it just appear as an option after you enter one of the navigate to, advance planning or itinerary functions? If so, can you also use it from browse map? I just seems that there ought to be a way to adjust the address or location before it actually tries to calculate a route.
    In regard to TomTom v6 use of contacts, any contact without a first/last name will not be displayed in the list. This stinks if you have multiple business contacts with just a company name.
    CGordonn
    SPCS Treo 700p
    Virginia Beach, VA but home will
    always be Honolulu, HI
    Can Tom Tom 6 navigate across maps like Mapopolis, or do you still need "regional" maps? That's the one thing I really miss.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by jrfaris View Post
    Thinking about this some more, since the contacts function is integrated now, does it just appear as an option after you enter one of the navigate to, advance planning or itinerary functions? If so, can you also use it from browse map? I just seems that there ought to be a way to adjust the address or location before it actually tries to calculate a route.
    OK, I correct myself here. It does give you the option to correct it but it just looks like you need to type it again. Let me elavorate on that. After it says that the address is not well formatted and you accept it goes to the City prompt, but it defaults to the city on the address you enter, then the same for the street address and the number will be shown wrong so that is the only thing you have to correct. Overall, it seems pretty good.

Al
    I was wondering about this feature listed on the TT6 page, here:

Call handling options

* Easy call handling: On-screen instructions remain visible while making phonecalls or receiving SMS messages.
    Has anyone used this in order to explain how this works? Does it do this automatically, or after the call comes in do you have to manually switch back to the application to view the instructions?
    Global Posts
    441 Global Posts
    From the TomTom website: "Easy call handling: On-screen instructions remain visible while making phonecalls or receiving SMS messages."

I hope this works correctly on CDMA phones. This has been the only drawback for me on TT5
  10.    #10  
    I just tried it in different ways on my Sprint Treo 700p such as calling myself or redialing from my headset and calling using the Call POI feature and it goes to the phone app and never goes back to TomTom 6 not even after hanging up. So I guess this feature is not available for CDMA users or maybe Treo users.

Al
  11.    #11  
    On the bright side, I see that TomTom has added lots of POI including ATMs and bank locations which is big for me because I tend to run out of cash and I hate paying the extra fees at ATM that are not from my Bank.

Al
    I just tried it in different ways on my Sprint Treo 700p such as calling myself or redialing from my headset and calling using the Call POI feature and it goes to the phone app and never goes back to TomTom 6 not even after hanging up. So I guess this feature is not available for CDMA users or maybe Treo users.

Al
    I have a Treo 700WX with TomTom6, it always returnes to TomTom for me, and when I'm using the Parrot BT Function, it never leaves TomTom... I guess this is just a difference in WM5.0 vs. POS
    Yeah, I guess that must be it, but it'd be nice if it worked this was for Palm OS too.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Yeah, I guess that must be it, but it'd be nice if it worked this was for Palm OS too.
    agreed, I upgraded from the Treo 650 w/ TomTom5, while it worked great, I hated having to re-enter TomTom once a call was received...
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    If someone is willing to help me with it, there are some neighborhoods in my town that I would love to know if they are now included in v.6.

My area is developing at a rapid pace, so many of my neighborhoods do not show up in TomTom 5, making the software of very limited use to me.

If anyone is willing to check a few neighborhoods in VA for me, you would have my undying gratitude. Just PM me to let me know.
    Safety and happiness can only come from individuals, classes, and nations being honest and fair and kind to each other.
    - C.S. Lewis
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    I am willing to check them for you, 4ster.